Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

missmac13
Beginner July 2013

Hydrangea stems how much??

missmac13, 10 October, 2012 at 13:46 Posted on Planning 0 11

Just really as above says I am wondering if anyone has used Hydrangeas for bouquets or centerpieces and can tell me how much they paid per stem please.

A wee flash would be nice to if you have one. ?

(I've not been on in a while my gran (nana) passed away and it doesn't feel right being all happy about wedding planning. Looked at my timer last night and it's only 9 mths now so better get a move on!)

11 replies

Latest activity by missmac13, 12 October, 2012 at 09:32
  • daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content

Aw sorry to hear about your Nana, thats really sad so close to your wedding Smiley sad

Hydrageas are my favourites so I hope someone replies soon Smiley smile

• *Marmite*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Marmite* ·
    • Hide content

I recently did the flowers for my sisters wedding. She had a hydrangea bouquet as did the bridesmaids.

Hydrangeas are quite expensive per stem. It will depend on where in the country you are and the time of year, but I'd guess a minimum of £3.50 per stem. I used around 4-5 stems for each bridesmaid bouquet and around 7 for my sisters one.

I ended up getting hydrangea plants and cutting the stems off these as it was cheaper.

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Ilove hydrangea but i was told they arent good to use esp in summer as they wilt easily Smiley sad

• Carly & Simon
    Beginner July 2012
    Carly & Simon ·
    • Hide content

Hydrangeas are areoud £3.50 per head, we had them in out centrepieces however my florist wasn't comfortable putting them in the boquet as they wilt terribly when sunlight hits them!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Eeeek!!!!!

I was absolutely set on having hydrangeas in my bouquet!

The cake is having hydrangea flowers (icing ones) decorating it too

Smiley sad

I hope they dont wilt! Im getting married in July!!!!!

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply's thanks dainty disco.

I am also set on having hydrangeas especially as I want to do the flowers ourselves.

So we are looking at around £3.50 per stem?? Thats still a budget friendly price as long as they don't wilt eeek.

Would anyone be able to recommend artificial hydrangeas and a flash.

• Carly & Simon
    Beginner July 2012
    Carly & Simon ·
    • Hide content

I wanted them in my bouquet too, my grandad was growing them especially for our wedding Smiley sad

I was gutted but we got married in July and the sun was very hot so I didn't want to risk it wilting, here's a flash of my bouquet and the table arrangements

Top Table

Guest table arrangements

My bouquet

Speak to your florist, there may be a way round it but it was something that I wasn't prepared to take a chance on!

It may not even by sunny, if it's overcast you'll probably be fine, it was lovely fpur is that we could still incorporate the hydrangaes into the table decorations and they complemented the bouquet very well!

It will all be perfect Smiley smile

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful flower arrangements Carly x

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

I had hydrangeas in my bouquet & three big heads of hydrangea in a spotty jug as well as other big blousy flowers in milk bottles etc. A friend who is a florist got them from the wholesalers. I have a hydrangea bush in our garden but she said the ones she could get would last longer. I've still got the hydrangea in a jug on the kitchen windowsill & I got married on 8th September which was a really warm day so guess she was right. Sometimes I think people break hydrangea up into smaller "florets" (not sure that's correct word) & they possibly don't live as long then especially if they are put on wires to fit into a bouquet.

My friend (not the florist) used one big head & sort of weaved other flowers into bouquet around the hydrangea. I'll add a flash but it doesn't really show off the hydrangea as well as it did in real life.

I did try cutting some from the garden & it didn't live for as long.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hydrangea are often split and wired for bridal work (or pipped as it's known in the trade) They are a gorgeous flower for weddings and if they are pipped and wired amongst other flowers in a bouquet, the other flowers help to support them within the design. They are very popular for weddings and lots of people do have them so if you have set your heart on having hydrangea, do speak to your florist as they are many ways we can make flowers 'survive' better in warmer conditions.

As for artificial hydrangea, this is extremely realistic and comes in a wide range of colours. It can also be mixed with fresh flowers if you are marrying when hydrangea is out of season. Here's a few photos of artficial bouquets I've done which have hydrangea in them:-

Also I love your flowers Carly!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

• missmac13
    Beginner July 2013
    missmac13 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely photos they suit the vibe I am going for I will find a way. Our wedding is in July on a beach in Scotland so it could be a glories day filled with sunshine or overcast (fingers crossed for no rain).

Thanks for the links 3D Jewellery I'll take a look.

Lx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics