Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner December 2015

Hymn ideas please

RomanticEmeralds, 8 of August of 2015 at 23:28 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi,

Beginning to think about hymns for our ceremony. We would ideally like two appropriate hymns that people who aren't regular church goers might recognise. Any suggestions ladies? Thanks?

14 replies

Latest activity by MrsEdisToBe, 10 of August of 2015 at 08:21
  • emmieloos
    Beginner August 2015
    emmieloos ·
    • Hide content

The classics are usually morning has broken and all things bright and beautiful. Jerusalem has become popular now too, in guessing because of rugby lol. I'm having one more step along the world I go, Lord of the dance and give me joy in my heart as me and OH went to the same school and we sung them at school. To be totally honest though we did send YouTube videos of our hymns to the bridal party in the hopes they might learn them if they don't already know them ?.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a church goer and I know those first three suggestions. Jerusalem is my all time favourite Smiley smile

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

We too wanted hymns that most people would know, without going for the cringy ones! In the end we chose Love Divine: All Loves Excelling, and Jerusalem for our second. The others on our shortlist were Abide With Me (Mr K's choice but I see it more of a funeral hymn) and I Vow To Thee My Country, which I see as being quite similar to Jerusalem in that its very patriotic.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

Lord of all Hopefulness is one that a lot of people recognise, and I like that the words are very fitting for a wedding. I've seen it on a few lists online of top wedding hymns too Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, I do go to church quite regularly and have some hymns which I really like such ad 'as the deer pants for water' but don't think many people will know them. Considering 'bind us together lord' but again not sure if that is well known enough (nothing worse than a church full of 100 + guests and only a handful singing). I guess the test will be if my OH knows it as he rarely attends church unless it's Christmas or a special occasion.

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

We had O God Our Help in Ages Past, Tell Out My Soul, amd Jerusalem. Some people struggled with Tell Out, but everyone gave it their best shot. We also chose to have the choir, as the music was important to us, so that helped give people the confidence to sing along.

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticEmeralds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooo I really like Tell out my soul! Hadn't thought about that one. Our church is a small village church which unfortunately doesn't have much of a choir (think there are only 2 members which hardly seems worth paying for lol) I am hoping that some of the regular congregation might come for the ceremony as I do attend church once every couple of months and my mum is on the church council, they should help with the singing!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

We had Jerusalem (husband's choice) and Lord of the Dance (my choice).

I wanted Give Me Joy In My Heart/Sing Hosanna but was overruled. I always think if in doubt, go up beat for a wedding!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

My favourite hymn is Shine Jesus Shine but it's not easy to sing. Bit of a workout for the vocal cords!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

We had Praise my Soul the King of Heaven, Holy, Holy, Holy and I vow to thee my country. We were a bit miffed because despite us telling the vicar we wanted the upbeat version of Holy, Holy, Holy, we got the morbid version on the day and I think he saw the look of disgust on my face!

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

I'd have gone with Jerusalem. I had that at my Dad's funeral 19 years ago so I can't comment in it being recently popular, but I've always loved it, and I find it uplifting, regardless of the context. Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner August 2016
    Chale ·
    • Hide content

How about Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer/Jehovah? That's a really rousing sing. Our only definite is Angel Voices, Ever Singing and I think narrowing the others down will be a bit of a battle.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

We had Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah; Lift Up Your Hearts (same tune as Tell Out My Soul); and Make Me A Channel of Your Peace. Most people seemed to either know them or be able to follow along with the tune after the first verse/chorus.

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

We are having one more step along the world I go, amazing grace and all things bright and beautiful because I didn't want nobody to know the words and nobody sing lol

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsEdisToBe ·
    • Hide content

We are having Lord of the Dance and Sing Hosanna. I had the same feeling about wanting everyone to know the words x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics