Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Canary
Beginner August 2013

I am a student/RAF reserve forces training officer. Ask me anything

Canary, 23 April, 2012 at 19:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

My current 'full time occupation' is as a Health & Human Sciences student although I only have my exams left before I graduate. I applied to a number of graduate schemes and was unsuccessful, leading to a number of applications with the NHS amongst other things.

I also volunteer with the Air Cadet Organisation. Through this I got a commission in the RAF as a volunteer reserve forces in the training branch. Until November I ran a squadron of 60 cadets, 10 staff and a committee. We paraded two nights a week and it also took up around 70% of my weekends. The cadets get to do a number of activities such as flying, gliding and adventure training. I spent my last weekend supervising 32 teams of 6 cadets from various squadrons in Essex take part in a two day competition which included shooting, obstacle course, speed march, navigation exercise, campcraft, map and bearings and first aid.

Ask me anything

7 replies

Latest activity by Canary, 23 April, 2012 at 20:37
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

What's the point of drill?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Quite a lot but the main thing we use it for is team work.

Imagine 12x teenagers having to complete a sequence of moves in complete time and with attention to detail. Every foot should be in the right place, arms should be in identical positions and it all should be done at exactly the same time. It's hard work and it encourages them to work together and think together. Having been a cadet myself, when you nail that sequence and everything is perfect, it gives a fantastic sense of achievement.

Apart from that, there's the (self)discipline side of it and it is an effective way of moving troops from a to b in an orderly fashion!

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

Which job do you prefer?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In regards to what?

My cadet stuff is 99% voluntary. I get 28 days pay a year but that's it. I don't do it for the money.

I don't count being a student as a job and I can not wait for it to be over.

I do have a part time admin job but it's only to keep me going through uni.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

How far down the list are you to be called to fight for your country?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

About bottom of the list. Although we hold a regular commission, we are unable to be called up for service. However, if WW3 was to start, I highly suspect that this would change. Personally, I wouldn't mind either way but we receive little training and there are no fitness standards imposed on us so we wouldn't be highly effective soldiers. The common joke is that we should be called the 'Very Rarely Trained' branch rather than 'Volunteer Reserve Training' branch!

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I meant the job you are training for in comparrison to the RAF job?

if the RAF job was paid full time would you take it? would you ever fully enlist?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not training for a specific job, it's just a general degree as such. The RAF work is all voluntary so I can't really compare.

If the work with the Air Cadets was paid full time, despite the politics and problems, yes I would take it. It would be an incredibly rewarding job.

I did think about fully enlisting before and although I admire the regular service members, I am not sure it's for me. I much prefer working with the teenagers and seeing the difference that we make to their lives. Who knows though, I still have time to join up if I wanted to.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics