Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

freckles87
Beginner May 2013

I am... a volunteer Appropriate Adult. Ask me anything!

freckles87, 24 April, 2012 at 00:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

I do voluntary work as an Appropriate Adult. My day job is far less exciting! So, yeah, ask me anything!

19 replies

Latest activity by freckles87, 24 April, 2012 at 19:21
  • samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

? My question is what's an appropriate adult? It sounds good! Also, what do you do?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Is that like that lady that had to sit along Fred West in his interviews with the police?!?!?!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Do you think you have to be quite robust to do the job?

Do you believe there is as much tension between young people and the police as the media sometimes puts across?

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever been involved in a high profile case, is so what was it like, the pressure etc? (clearly not asking you to name the case!)

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

What inspired you to do this?

I'd love to do some form of volutary work like this alongside my fulltime job, but have no idea where to start!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

How did you get in to it? What sort of training did you have to do before you had your first person in your care?

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

An Appropriate Adult is exactly what that lady did who sat in with Fred West, we learnt about that in our training as what NOT to do. She got way too friendly with him, and going to the house/crime scenes is something we would never ever do.

Basically an Appropriate Adult is someone that watches over the processes before and during Police interviews for vulnerable adults and juveniles. I have to make sure they understand everything that is happening, that they've been allowed food/drink etc and that they have understood everything that they have been told. I have to sit in on the interview and make notes, ensuring that they aren't asked leading questions, and that they understand the questions that are being asked,

I wanted to do this because I'm bored of my job I have now (Mooey's thread is similar to my experience!) I have a degree in Criminology and have always wanted to do something related to the CJS, such as a Probation Officer, so thought this would look good on my CV. Although there are no jobs in my area in what I want to do, it's interesting.

I haven't worked on any high profile cases, but I have been sickened by what I've heard on more than one occasion!

I got into it by searching for voluntary agencies in my local area. I then had to have a CRB check and do 8 3 hour training sessions, where you learn about the role and health and safety etc. You then do 3 call outs as a 'shadow', where you just observe, then after that you're on your own!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

Ha, Kochanski I wish my job was as interesting as this. Unfortunately I can't get paid to do this!

We all have to commit at least 4 hours a week where you're on call. So you need to keep your phone with you for those 4 hours and be prepared to go to one of the police stations if they need you. I can go months without a call out, then sometimes have one every week for a few weeks, sometimes I have more than one in one day, it varies so much!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

How do you manage with your own personal reactions to the really awful incidents? Is it hard to keep up that barrier and not feel personally affected by it?

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

I have had to listen to some pretty horrific things, my first ever call out as a shadow was particularly disturbing. They don't usually send inexperienced AAs to the more horrific cases, but I think this one slipped through the net. There is counselling available for all volunteers, if we felt that we needed it. I just spoke to the guy that was in charge of the scheme about it at a meeting, and that made me feel a lot better.

Enterflora, I don't really know too much about Youth Offender Panels to be honest, what is involved?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Can you do this kind of work alongside a full time 9-5 job?

(I would love to volunteer for this but from what you say about being 'on call' don't think I would be able to)

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Freckles - no questions but think this is amazing! would love to have done this but don't think i could without getting personally involved

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

Pandorasbox, I don't work full time, I only work 4 days a week so I just do it on one of my days off. If you were willing to have to potentially give up a few hours on one of your days off, then I'd say go for it!

Enterflora, that sounds really interesting. I might look into that a bit more. The only other voluntary work I could do with the company I'm with is working with Young offenders, but it's mentoring which sounds good, but you seem to get quite involved with them and I'm not sure I could do that.

Ashlil, I'm one of the softest people ever, but just have to try and stay as detached as possible.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

? Glad I've inspired somebody else to get into it! You'll have to let me know how you get on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics