Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Pixie
Beginner September 2011

I can't bake...... help!

Little Pixie , 23 October, 2012 at 11:38 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

I am totally not into baking as I am rubbish at it. However, we are holding a bake sale in aid of starlight (making wishes for ill children) at work and I have been roped into baking something!

Do any of you bakers have a recipe for me? It needs to be easy and nothing with super expensive ingredients. Would a try bake be better for cutting up and selling? I just don't know!?!?!

Help! ?

21 replies

Latest activity by Little Pixie , 30 October, 2012 at 09:13
  • OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

A classic victoria sponge? You can’t go wrong!

Or if you want individual cakes, the method is the same, you just put them in cases instead.

Do you have any cake/muffin tins?

ETA: Victoria sponge recipe I like... https://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/v/victoria_sponge_with_raspberry_jam_and_buttercream.html

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be baked? Could you do a fridge cake, or a chilled flapjack etc?

This is really nice and you can add lots of stuff to it.

Ingredients:

150g Porridge Oats
    75g Brown Sugar
    6 tablespoons Golden Syrup
    125g Butter
    1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
    75g/3oz Rice Crispies

(Optional- 75g Sultanas)

Method:

1. Lightly grease a tin or line tin with greaseproof paper.
    2. Put the brown sugar and syrup into a saucepan over a medium heat until just boiling then remove from the heat.
    3. Add the butter and vanilla essence and stir until smooth.
    4. Meanwhile in a large bowl, mix together the oats and rice crispies. Pour the saucepan content over the cereals and mix well.
    5. Press into the prepared tin using the palm of the hand. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

easiest is victoria spinge recipe, you can use the same recipe for cupcakes to make them individual...

-Weigh 3 eggs (approc 6oz)

Weight castor sugar, self raising flour and amrg to the same weight as the eggs ( so 6oz each)

Cream sugar and butter together for 5mins or so until light and fluffy

Beat in one egg at a time

Add in teasponn of vanilla essence and mix in well

Sift flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder and fold in to mix.

divide between 12-16 cupcake cases

bake in oven at 180degrees for 17-20mins or until slightly golden on top

ET VOILA!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr malteaser fridge cake

for the cake

100 grams Butter unsalted 200 grams milk chocolate 3 tbsp Golden Syrup (Silver Spoon) 225 grams roughly crushed digestive biscuits 225 grams chocolate malteasers, roughly chopped with sharp knife

For the decoration:

100 grams malteasers, roughly chopped 50 grams white chocolate melted 50 grams milk chocolate melted 50 grams digestive biscuits, roughly chopped

Line a square 20x20cm tin with greaseproof paper.

In a medium pan placed over a gentle heat, melt together the butter, chocolate and syrup. Stir the mixture continuously as it begins to melt, once it is smooth and everything combined, remove from the heat and place to one side. Using a sharp knife, roughly cut the honeycomb balls and digestive biscuits so you have nice chunky pieces. Add these to the cooled chocolate mixture and stir to incorporate. Pour into your lined square tin, press down with a metal spoon so you have a smooth, even surface and place in the fridge to chill until set. To decorate, melt the milk and white chocolate separately. Spread a layer of melted milk chocolate over the surface of the chilled fridge cake – this will act like a glue! Then sprinkle over the top of the melted milk chocolate your chopped honeycomb balls and digestives. Using either a teaspoon or paper cornet made from greaseproof paper, drizzle over the top of the cake with alternate lines of melted white and milk chocolate. Using a sharp knife, cut into squares and serve

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I was going to sugegst a fridge bake, bix everything together, pour melted chocolate on top and bumg in fridge. no fear about over or under cooking or it rising or sinking!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Easy chocolate chunk cookies:

1. cream together 1 block of softened (NOT MELTED) butter (250g?) with 3/4 cup each granulated sugar and soft brown sugar.

2. beat in 2 eggs, 1 at a time, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.

3. add 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda, and 1/2 tsp salt and mix with a spatula.

4. chop up 200-300g (depending on how chocoholic you are) dark chocolate (or a mix of white and dark) and stir into dough. You can also add 1/2 cup chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts.

5. Scoop small amount onto cookie tray 2 inches apart and bake at 190C (170 for fan oven) for 9 minutes, or until golden around the edges and appear dry across the top. Allow to cool for two minutes on tray before removing to a rack for cooling.

They are delicious.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is where id fail, i love raw cookie dough mix!!

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I need to get out of this thread, I’m supposed to be on a diet! I’m actually drooling.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There always seems to be a fair amount left in the bowl that I just have to clean out with the spatula.. and then the only way to clean a spatula is by licking it, right?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Nigella's rocky road! Utterly foolproof, no baking required (apart from melting the chocolate) and super delicious!

/recipes/rocky-road-crunch-bars

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I would agree with the no bake fridge ones ie flapjacks and the rocky road type of "baking"

everyone loves them and you can't fail with them either

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I am loving the fridge ones ladies! I might even attempt those cookies, surely I can't get that wrong.

Victoria sponge ALWAYS goes wrong when I make it. I am utterly useless :-) Thanks for all the quick responses too. I shall let you know what I do and how they turn out

• clarediston
    clarediston ·
    • Hide content

How about a cheesecake? There are some you don't have to bake and they're quite easy Smiley smile

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Cheat?

You can buy ready made fresh cookie dough that you chop up, roll in a ball, wack in the oven.

Or, you can get some scrummy ready made cake mixtures just add oil and water, mix it up, stick it in a tin in the oven - Wrights cake mixes can get them in most supermarkets. The ginger one is particularly nice - I often do this when taking cakes into work for birthday.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? wash your mouth out!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I made a chocolate tiffin fridge cake type thing with my niece the other day.

Melt chocolate, butter and golden syrup together over a pan of boiling water.

Add crushed digestives and then whatever you happen to have in the cupboard! I put in glace cherries, dried blueberries, dried apricots. Would also be lovely with mini marshmallows or any kind of chocolate bar broken up. Mix all together with the melted choc mixture.

Then drizzled melted white chocolate over the top.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I am attempting the flapjacky thing tonight. Tis surrently in the fridge! eeek! I dibbled chocolate all over the top to add a bit to it. I have also printed all the other recipes. Might be ready to move onto oven baked goodies soon!

Thanks for all your help xxx

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

If you get stuck give Mini a shout, she's our baking expert.

?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly what I was going to suggest! It's so bad for you but so good.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am trying this one next! The guinea pig (OH) really liked the flapjacky thing. 2 pieces gone already and then 2 more walked out of the door with him to work. Going to have to do another tray tonight to have enough for the bake sale!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics