Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner September 2018

I can't find a venue to suit :(

ThePinkPeonies, 25 of August of 2016 at 14:42 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi all,

We got engaged in April and had wanted to get married September 2017, but I just can't seem to find a venue to suit us. We can push this date back another year if need be, or we've thought about April 2018. (April and September both have significant dates for us, so we'd quite like to stick around those months.) We're in central Scotland, and everything is either booked up or FAR too expensive. We don't really have a budget yet (bad move? Probably) but I know i don't want to spend an absolute fortune as it is only one day. I don't want a hotel, but I think I might have to compromise and go for a hotel wedding eventually. What I really want is some sort of barn, I love the shabby chic vintage-y feel of all the pinterest weddings, but just can't find anything. The one place I did find had a £6000 hire charge before you even started to think about decor, food etc, and I just feel like that's too much money for what's ultimately a white box, no matter how pretty!

Every idea I've had at this stage has fallen flat on its face. We've looked at going abroad, but to be totally honest I'm not sure any of his family would bother to come out to the wedding when push came to shove, and I don't think it's fair on him to have no family there. Our other issue seems to be numbers - we only really want a max of 50 during the day, and most places seem to have a minimum number of 75+, and the 'intimate' venues only cater for 10-15. Am I missing something?! I'm so confused and stressed by it all.

So guys - can anyone inspire me? Send me some suggestions? I'd appreciate anything at this stage! Thanks.

7 replies

Latest activity by The Little Jewellery Box, 20 of January of 2017 at 20:28
  • R
    Beginner August 2016
    RhonaH ·
    • Hide content

Not sure where in Central Scotland you are but we just got married at The Strawberry Barn in Dunbar. I didn't want a hotel wedding either and it was £180.00 with a £350.00 deposit. It's a big metal barn from the outside but can be made to look very nice inside. We had 93 guests which suited the venue size very well but I'm sure you could work around your numbers.

We could decorate it as we wanted and the food is excellent. We didn't get married there but you actually can - they had their first ceremony there last month.

Check out https://en-gb.facebook.com/thestrawberrybarn/

Hope this helps x

• T
    Beginner September 2018
    ThePinkPeonies ·
    • Hide content

We're about half an hour from Edinburgh, but Dunbar isn't too far, I've emailed them! My parents used to take me and my sisters strawberry picking in Belhaven every year as kids, I didn't realise it was all done up now! It looks lovely, so we'll see what they say Smiley smile but £180 - really?! That seems so cheap! Thank you for your suggestion!

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Try Gean House in Alloa. They have a maximum of 80 day guests but no minimum numbers. It's a house so it doesn't have the "hotel wedding" feel but there are bedrooms for people staying. That's what we booked and we love it!

Or look at Houston House. They are a hotel (one of the McDonald's) but they don't feel too hotely. And they can accommodate bigger weddings if you need the numbers. We look at that as well and went to a wedding there. It was lovely.

• R
    Beginner August 2016
    RhonaH ·
    • Hide content

Had a quick look back at the Strawberry Barn brochure and just thought I'd clarify the prices (these are of 2015 when we booked). Venue hire - Bar only event £120, Buffet event (with linens, glasses and silverware) £180. Fully sit down event (again with linens etc) £300. All of these with a £350 deposit, Food prices start from £10 a head for buffet and £24 a head for sit down meal. The price was so good that I thought they were going to go 'only joking!' at some point but no, all was good!

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I think you need to forget the year for now find a venue you both love in your price range and then book which ever year is available. We thought we had to book quickly in excitement but ended up changing all our plans completely in the first year and tied the knot 3 years after getting engaged. You may find a venue available 2017 or you may be asked to wait a couple of years longer but don't compramise just for the year unless you have a very good reason to or you may regret it

• T
    Beginner September 2018
    ThePinkPeonies ·
    • Hide content

So after posting this in a total flap after many tears the other night, we went to see a venue nearby today m, to 'rule it out'. I didn't fancy it purely because it wasn't what I had in my head that I wanted, but I walked in the door and totally fell in love. I could picture myself walking down the aisle to my fiancé and could visualise where we'd have our photographs taken and everything - I honestly I had no idea I would get that feeling with anywhere! So after all my fussing, we've picked a date and reserved it, and pay our first deposit next week. Very exciting/scary/overwhelming/crazy!

• H
    Beginner
    HappyGreenDiamonds731 ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask where it was?!

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Yay, so pleased for you both! It can be stressful, took us a while to find our perfect place for our winter wedding and had similar problems with number of guests etc!

Exciting!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics