Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Aurora Borealis
Beginner June 2013

I don't know how to wear my veil

Aurora Borealis, 26 April, 2013 at 14:15 Posted on Planning 0 8

My Granny has kindly given me her veil to wear. I really want to wear it as it was my Granny's and her Mum's so it will be my something old. But it is basically just a massive piece of lace, with no comb or band attached. So I'm not sure how to make it stay on my head! I have a tiara and I have tried holding it in place with this, but it's quite difficult to secure as the lace is quite heavy. And it just doesn't look quite right.

I was hoping to wear my veil over my face but I don't think that will be possible. I tried folding it in half to see if I could attach the middle part to my head in some way but it's so wide that it's not really possible. I am wearing my hair down so can't incorporate it in any way there really.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

8 replies

Latest activity by DaffodilWaves, 26 April, 2013 at 17:33
  • BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

There must be a way you can glue the veil to a hair comb or something - I'm not very crafty like that but I am sure you can find someone to help

What a lovely 'something old'

• minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

You could get a comb, wrap ribbon / organza around it and then sew the veil onto it.

Attach the veil with bobby pins if you don't want to attach a comb.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Have you asked your Granny how she wore it? There may be a trick that you're missing! Or she might have had it attached to a comb or such which has come off (she may not even realise this!) Lots of places sell combs for veils, so I should imagime it's fairly easy to attch. Mine had a comb on and just slotted into place. And it stayed all day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLIchE4VrZc Something like this should help! ?

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

My mum's veil was attached to her tiara with cream thread, just wrapped round and round the bottom piece of the tiara and along a stretch of the veil. The veil was folded as well so you could bring the smaller part over the face and the longer other side would stay hanging behind her hair

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^This^

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

Kirby grips! Get your hairdresser to put it in, and have her put it on in a way that you'll be able to get it off later, if you choose. You could attach it to a comb, but honestly, I'd be reluctant to possibly damage it.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I was concerned about, especially since it's so old. I shall experiment with some grips and consider attaching a comb if this doesn't work, thank you all!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

How about taking it to a seamstress and see what they say?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Kirby grips.

Might be worth researching how a 'cap veil' is secured on or contacting a supplier to ask as they sometimes come without a comb on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics