Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2018

I feel like nobody cares about our wedding :(

HappyOrangeConfetti548, 17 of November of 2016 at 21:56 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have been engaged since March and have booked our venue and photographer. We're excited but whenever I talk about our plans with family they're not interested. Family turned their noses up at the venue being 45 minutes away from home even though it's so perfect for us. We want an outdoorsy theme and were thinking of hiring an ice-cream bike but my Mum said it's poor taste and cheesy. We're only 20 so feel a bit out of our depth with the whole wedding being on our shoulders because whenever we try asking for opinions we get shut down. It makes me worry about the day itself, I know I can't please everyone and it's our day but I don't want everyone wishing they didn't come.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Smiley sad

9 replies

Latest activity by haltonmummy, 20 of November of 2016 at 19:52
  • L
    Beginner June 2018
    Lilacbouquet ·
    • Hide content

OH yes, everyone's reaction to ours was good, but whenever I talked about our plans everyone was just 'it's ages away yet'. I actually unintentionally offended my auntie after a couple of months being engaged!

Have you set a date yet? Have you been planning long? 6 months of planning have passed for us and people are starting to get excited now and more interested. Hopefully you'll find the further you get in the more people will want to know. We are nosey people eventually it gets the better of us regardless of a personality.

If you want an ice cream bike then have one! It is your wedding not everyone else's. I would suggest (if you haven't already) set a budget and cost everything else up first such as a venue, caterers and a photographer and see how much money a bike is, then if your mum does say you don't need it or can't afford it you can maybe say you're doing your own invites to contribute towards the bike or something like that.

20 is very young but why not! The main thing is your enjoy it, but enjoy the planning too. Helpfully one of your bridesmaids is excited? Your mum will come round eventually, her daughter is getting married! Just give her a bit of time.

• S
    Beginner January 2015
    SunnyOrangeCars190 ·
    • Hide content

Don't anyone let you feel bad about your wedding, it's your special day. Some people unfortunately won't feel the same as you. My sister has made no effort at all. My family haven't taken much of an interest unless it's about the guest list. When are you planning on getting married - perhaps because it's a long way away?

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We had a fairly similar response when we announced we were getting married abroad. People were shocked it wasn't a hot country and didn't really seem to talk about it unless it was just polite questioning at first. Don't let it deflate you as your family and friends will see it as a long way off and are probably not used to modern ideas such as ice cream vans. My best advice to you is plan this wedding with your oh and only tell people plans once you have made them. Have the wedding day you want and don't try to please everyone else. if you say we are having rather than we are thinking than they will not be able to change your plans as it will be too late. I only let go of tasks I wasn't particularly fussed about and I took advice from people without revealing our plans until we had made the decision and just politely acknowledged their suggestions. Once dress fitting starts and the countdown gets shorter your loved ones will be filled with excitement. For you it's a very exciting time but at this stage it's a long way off for your guests. Share your plans on here and talk away on here as it's full of excited brides who will no doubt join you in your excitement ?

• disneyfanatic95
    Dedicated June 2017
    disneyfanatic95 ·
    • Hide content

Oh gosh, we have had a similar experience especially from my mothers side.

we are having a beauty and the beast wedding and when my mother and her family found out they instantly turned their noses up. And when they found out we are having it a hotel they told us we are snobs. When I try to engage them in the planning they don't seem bothered. I even invited my mum to have a look at a dress but she said it's too far and won't travel but then got in a mood when I got it without her.

im 21 so only just older than you and have found the planning so hard especially with not having my mum wanting to put her input in. We're getting married in June and are getting really excited.

now they are starting to show interest but only with the drinks.

the advice given to me was to do what we want and not to worry about others, and if people turn up then it'll be because they want to. I'm certain they with start to get more excited the closer it comes.

as for the ice cream bike it think that's amazing! I know someone who had one and everyone, adults included loved it! Even the ones who were against the idea!

but I would go with what you want. As long as you and your OH are happy then that's all that matters?

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Our ideal venue is 45 minutes away, it's also outdoors and I'm hopefully having three live bands, one of which is heavy metal. My mum and other assorted family members aren't bothered or have stated their opposition, I have stated being belligerent. We are now at the point where one family member has stated that getting married is a waste of money and as we live together why bother? At this rate my OH's and my friends, who are a whole lot more excited will be the only ones attending as my family are saying they aren't going to come. They will probably change their minds closer to it, but we'll see.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree with what's already been said. Nearer the time there will probably be more excitement. It's your day have what you both want because no matter what you do you can't please everyone else. Loving the ice cream bike. People will chat plans all day long on here so if people at home are showing no interest I wouldn't bother telling them anything unless asked and then only what's final. I don't actually understand the what's the point comments. They are usually made by people who are married! If they could have their day why can't you have yours? Enjoy your planning and don't be put off by non responsive families. X

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    lucyjo ·
    • Hide content

Yes, we had this. Nobody was remotely interested, beyond wanting to know where and when. OH's family still couldn't care less, but mine are starting to get into it now and are asking more questions and seeming more engaged with it all. We've got six months to go now, and I honestly think it's like other posters have said - people just can't think further ahead than a few months. Once it gets closer, they'll start to be more interested.

As far as your mum goes, in my experience it's often a generation thing. In 'their day' icecream vans and big hen dos and photographers capturing you getting ready just didn't happen, so they find it strange and unfamiliar. My mum was the same about a lot of our ideas, but she hasn't been to a wedding since 1994 so she'll find my wedding quite different to what she's used to! But on the day they'll be fascinated and love it all. At least that's what I'm hoping! Smiley smile

Chin up. Plan what you want, get excited with your OH and friends and with us here on hitched, and don't let the *** get you down.

x

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

The problem is unfortunately that no one does care... its your wedding not theirs and their life goes on regardless, your planning so it feels big to you but to them its just a party that is ages away

as for their opinions, weddings bring out people 'loud mouthed' side and they think everything is somethink to voice their opinion over but their opinion doesnt matter... have the venue you love, have the ice cream you want - im sure it will be lovely and they'll eat their words (and ice cream) on the day

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticBrownCakes683 ·
    • Hide content

At the risk of sounding mean here - and really its not meant to be this way. Nobody cares about your wedding as much as you do - and if its a while off theres other stuff happening in peoples lives - however, they do care it might just be too far off for people to be talking about it and making a song and a dance but when it arrives they will all care very much the distance will be forgotten and they will have an amazing day they talk about for months and months to come x

• H
    Beginner October 2008
    haltonmummy ·
    • Hide content

Hi

As others have said it's the most important day in your life not theirs, so don't be offended if people aren't as excited as you are.

Also, 45 minutes is quite a way, unless you are putting on transport to and from the venue, it will mean someone will either have to drive or stay over, at an additional cost.

As for the Ice Cream - brilliant idea!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics