Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tigsy87
Beginner June 2018

I hate how I look ?

Tigsy87, 1 of November of 2014 at 17:07 Posted on Planning 0 16

Ok this may be the most vain wedding forum post ever but I really hate how I look in photos. I always think I look great before I go out but then I see a pic and I think "oh god". I know it sounds like the normal every girl situation but I now feel so awful that I cry about it a lot. I know a lot of it stems from not feeling confident beside my sister. She always has to go one better or make comments about my features. I'm trying really hard to be positive thinking I'll look a bit different in my dress and hair and make bug I just can't shake the feeling that I will hate every wedding picture. I even try doing different poses to see what angles suit me. I've never felt confident but now I'm just dreading wedding day more than anything.

is anyone else feeling like this? Or anyone have some good "photo taking advice"/poses/angles etc

help me ?

16 replies

Latest activity by Melissa, 31 of January of 2023 at 19:09
  • sweetlikechocolate
    Dedicated May 2016
    sweetlikechocolate ·
    • Hide content

This is exactly how I feel every time I see a photo of me. I never think I look amazing but when I go out I look in the mirror and think I look ok. Then in the pics I look awful. I have an identical twin and she looks lovely in photos but I am alway hidious. I am dreading my wedding pics because of it. I was bridesmaid for my dister a few years ago anx hate every photo. I am hoping the wonderful Bruce can work his magic and catch a few good unposed pics as I look better when its not a forced smile on my face. I wish I could give you some advice but sll I have is sympathy im afraid.

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I sort of understand how you feel. My sister doesn't stoop to making comments about how I look, but she is slimmer and prettier than I am, as is OH's sister. I am worried about feeling like the ugly duckling on my wedding day.

Have you spoken to your photographer? Maybe they can offer you a pre-wedding shoot so that you can get more comfortable in front of the camera and she/he can help you identify what angles and poses suit you. Plus, it would be helpful to them to know how worried you are prior to your wedding so that they can take that into account.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

The only photos I ever like of me are self portraits!

The best advice I can give you is to book the best professional makeup artist and photographer you can afford. Those two suppliers make such a huge difference to your wedding photos - and your photos are how you and your descendants will remember the day.

When you book your photographer explain how you feel. There may be a pre-wedding shoot included in the package which will help you see how you'll really look.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Please do not worry about this. I am exactly the same. Look absolutely appalling on photos as always look featureless and have my eyes closed. However, I have had my wedding photos back and am so happy with how I look on them. Also have a gorgeous sister who was my bridemaid. You will be so happy it will shine through and any half decent photographer will capture it!

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

Another shout for a pre-wedding shoot. It really does make a difference as your photographer gets to know you and you get comfortable with them. Plus, there are bound to be some lovely shots from it which will help put your mind at ease.

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

I feel exactly the same. I hate my face! I have a saggy chin and hamster cheeks when I smile. I've already had 2 nose jobs to try and boost my confidence but that hasn't helped. I hide behind my hair but my nan is insistent on me having it up on the day. I'm dreading it. I'm not particularly over weight (well not bad for having a baby 7 months ago) but I'm desperately trying to lose some extra weight to change my face. I'm ok with posed pictures it's the natural ones that scare me!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I was worried about my photos, but I had really good hair and make up, and on the day I was so happy that it really came through in the pictures and I love them. Please don't worry! As others have suggested, a pre wedding photoshoot might be a good idea for you, but i'm sure that once you're in your gorgeous dress, have your hair and make up all done, and are ready to marry the man of your dreams you'll look beautiful, and I hope you'll feel beautiful x

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

I feel the same! I'm worried my face will look like a squishy potato and the rest of me will look like a blob in a sparkly dress. I'm hoping the hair and make up will work some magic!

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel. I have booked a cheap groupon deal for a makeover photo shoot to try and help me feel comfy and look at myself with professional hair and make up before the big day! Plus I might end up with a nice pic for my oh xx

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If that's me you are talking about then don't worry, you will be ok, trust me ?

• Tigsy87
    Beginner June 2018
    Tigsy87 ·
    • Hide content

It's been reassuring knowing I'm not the only one feeling like this. Think I will book a wee mini photoshop soon and see what angles and sides work best for me. Me and my partner just have no real pictures of each other and I don't want our wedding pics to be disastrous and ruin the memories xx thanks so much though for everyone's ideas and opinions. Luckily our photographer meets us the day before to go through locations for pictures and takes a few snaps to get best angles etc xx

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I agree I hate most photos of me. I'm also worse since having my hair/MU trial as I wasn't happy with it overall. Nothing major just I can do my own makeup and hair better (but I am a bit of a MU expert on my own face) so now I'm more worried. I did a boudoir photoshoot and haven't given them to my OH as I don't like them. It just emphasises how much bigger I am than I want to be.

So yes I am dreading my wedding day too. Just hope it all comes together on the day. ?

• barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk
    barry@bwvideofilms.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I hear so many people say how they hate the way they look in photos and film. Curiously even some of the most glamorous people I meet feel the same! My theory is that from a young age we are all asked to "smile for the camera" by well meaning family and friends. The ensuing unflattering grimace is how we come to perceive ourselves. Banish those negative thoughts. If you look around at people they all look fine - really! It's because most of the time they are relaxed and just getting on with life. As a videographer I try to capture this natural look by being unobtrusive as far as I can. A good photographer will do the same and for formal shots will put you at ease by helping you strike the most flattering poses. Just concentrate on enjoying every minute of the day and if you have chosen the right professionals who you feel comfortable with they will capture just that and you will love your photos and wedding film.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What Barry said above?? I even hate having my photo taken and I think I only have one photo of me with the kids hanging on the wall at home. At Saturdays wedding I had a camera set up videoing the couples first dance and I can see myself at the start of the video when I was setting it up☹️ but that will be deleted?

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    Helenosaurus ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I am the same. I always look hideous in photos! But then, I am pretty lacking in the confidence stakes anyway and hardly ever feel like I look good anyway. Generally, I hate the way I look, I always think I look ok and then realise after that I actually look a mess! I don't want to be overshadowed by other people on my wedding photos!

I suppose any good wedding photographer will be able to get you looking good though...I hope! Haha.

But yeah, it seems you are definitely not alone in your hatred of yourself in photos!

I am kind of worried about my glasses too. Because I look SO weird without them on; when I wear contacts [which is rarely] my boyfriend even comments how weird I look and how I look better with my glasses [not sure if I should be offended by that!] and I just know my mum will be nagging at me to not wear my glasses for the wedding. because at my sister's wedding when I was a bridesmaid she got annoyed at me because I refused to take them off for photos and she was worried they would ruin them somehow [?!]. Can only imagine because they take up some of my face? ANyway, I will be wearing them because I don't feel like ME if I don't and I don't feel at all pretty without them,but then I do worry that they will be a bit intrusive. ANyway, sorry for that wee ramble, it just sort of came out in the stream of photos and worrying about looking good!

• R
    Beginner August 2023 Somerset
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content

This thread really helped me - I hate how I look and I am in the middle of therapy to overcome this. I had my first bridal store visit on the weekend and I couldn't help but hone in on my insecurities, thought I looked okay in the mirror then photos made me look huge and my smile just looked like a grimace! Dreading the photos.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics