Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs C
Beginner March 2011

I hate the English house selling/buying process.

Mrs C, 10 January, 2013 at 20:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

Well the last 24 hours have been the most stressful of house selling/buying so far...

We accepted the offer on our flat back in September, it took a bit longer (and more ££) to get the lease extension sorted ready for exchange. We then tried to exchange early December with a view to completing before Christmas. No. We couldn't get hold of our buyer to exchange.

Turns out they were not the bottom of the chain as we originally thought. They had a buyer who had not yet even received their mortgage offer. So we were left hanging over Christmas and NY not really knowing what was going to happen. Our buyer's solicitor is about as useless as a chocolate teapot. Our estate agent not much better.

We continued to chase last week, still no offer. Then I get a call to say that the top of the chain are fed up of waiting and although not pulling out, they are putting their house back on the market, as are the house that we are buying. ***. Cue mini meltdown.

A sleepless night and plenty of stress induced arguing and crying. All day today chasing our buyer and estate agents and mortgage advisors... I finally get an email at 6pm this evening to say their offer should be out in 48 hours. I can relax. A little bit.

I don't think I will fully be ok till the keys are in my hand. My poor nervous system.

The way houses are bought and sold in this country sucks balls.

Thanks for listening. Sticky house vibes please!

19 replies

Latest activity by RebTheEck, 16 January, 2013 at 22:20
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Oh Mrs C my heart sank when I read the title of this thread!

But it will be okay. Fingers crossed for you!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Oooh! Mrs C! I hadn't realised you'd found and had an offer accepted on a house!

Fingers crossed this is the end of house stress and things all go nicely to plan from now on.

Have a ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Saisi...

GB - we had our cheeky offer accepted back in June/July last year. Our first buyer pulled out but we were lucky that our house waited for us to find another buyer. Throw in a landlord who decided to double the cost of the lease extension overnight... as happy as we have been here, I now cannot wait to see the back of this flat... even if we did rebuild the entire thing!!

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I agree Mrs C the whole process sucks and that's without useless solicitors thrown into the mix!

I've only just got my cheque from the sale of my flat & that completed on 21st December!

Loads of vibes for it being sorted a.s.a.p. & fingers crossed further up the chain hold on a little longer.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Wow - that's a long time! I hope it all gets sorted super quick!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Once took 2 years to move....estate agents were to blame.....where are you moving to Mrs C?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Your neck of the woods Peter Smiley smile to where we got married

• P
    Beginner
    Piccalilli ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed it goes quickly and smoothly from now, the whole process is poor and becomes very stressful, I think alot of it comes down to taking peoples word regarding their situations with buyers and mortgage offers etc, it would be better if more proof in writing was asked for I think.

A friend who moved, always tried to make direct contact with all other members of the chain, so for example they would all call email and cc everyone in on a Friday afternoon to update where they had got to with everything, that way you hear it from the 'horses mouth' so to be speak, and not the estate blaming the solicitor blaming the vendor etc, but its dependent on others in the chain being happy about being contacted directly.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Mrs C... I may have missed an update on this? just wanted to know how it is going?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, as far as we are aware, we are just waiting for the mortgage offer for the bottom of the chain and our replacement offer. Then we should be ok to exchange. I won't relax till the keys are in my hand!!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Keeping everything crossed for you Mrs C, I know you've been through the mill on this one!

When we bought our house we had no chain and they guy we were buying from was moving in with a friend (so no mortgage) and it still took 3 months to complete! Nowhere near as long as yours but just wanted to say I've shared your frustration!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Holey, our flat took 3 months and that was no chain! Our mortgage offer has just been issued, apparently the other is due in next 24 hours... We hope.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

No confirmation of the buyer at the bottom of the chain's mortgage offer today... estate agents were trying to contact the mortgage broker all day, he was in the office for 3 hours and didn't come back to anyone. We can't get a straight answer out of our buyer's solicitor either.

Please please please let me get an answer tomorrow!!!!

?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Oh my days, I'm going to fecking punch someone soon. I've now been told that aren't waiting for confirmation, the lender is still waiting for copies of payslips and bank statements!!! AND the buyer is apparently away for the week! WTF!!! Someone is lying, I can't get a straight answer out of anyone, I just can't lose my house.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

I fail to understand why people can't simply be honest as to what they are doing and where they are at.

I don't mean to worry you but surely if they are waiting for payslips etc then they've only just started the application process? I also thought that estate agents only let you put an offer in if you can prove you'll get the mortgage ie show approval in principal?

Lots of get your bl00dy finger out and get Mrs C her house vibes !

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I am feeling a little less angry this evening, I actually got to speak to the mortgage broker of the buyer myself and the application is definitely in process, Northern Rock are being arses and requesting every bit of paper under the sun and then some. Buyer is back sometime Friday and will email over paperwork.

We should have the final bit of paper on Monday/Tuesday...

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Grr double post

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

What a palaver. Hope it all gets sorted soon lovely x

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Covering their arses more like, bet they have increased their compliance requirements to prevent bad loans.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics