Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

KittenCake
Beginner May 2013

I hate underwired bras!

KittenCake, 2 of October of 2014 at 11:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Am I the only one who hates them? Recently I have become increasingly disenchanted with wearing an underwired bra, they are so uncomfortable! I now take my bra of the minute I get through the door and hate putting it on again in the morning. Yesterday, because I was sitting down quite a bit, my underwire dug in so much that my ribs felt painful and bruised all evening, I have tried losening the band, but that seems to make it worse not better. The problem is, I am an unusual size (30 E) so I haven't really been able to find a non wired bra in my size except for sports bras, which are much more comfortable but not exactly flattering, as I am very pear shaped so I don't really want my chest flattening. Does anyone have any suggestions about brands which might have a decent non wired bra in an unusual size?

14 replies

Latest activity by BowlingBride, 2 of October of 2014 at 22:41
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried M&S? I know that sounds like the obvious answer but I love their non wired bras. I'm not sure what size band they go down to though.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I don't mind them most of the time but I get really irritated when I spend a lot of money on one and two weeks later a wire pops through! Strangely the best ones I have are good old supermarket brands - tesco, asda and sainsbury. They cost less and last longer, hold up my 40Fs and don't leave deep, painful grooves in my shoulders.

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

Have you been measured recently? Could it be that you're not actually a 30E anymore and as such the bra isn't fitting properly? I have to say with the exception of one of my bras (which I know doesn't fit properly, but I bought it anyway because it's pretty ? ) I barely notice they're on, they certainly don't dig in or hurt!

Sympathise on the lack of choice though, I'm a 32DD (although have been known to buy a few 30E's if the sizings are dodgy) and the lack of choice even at 32DD is abysmal!!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I love underwired bras, but I've got mole hills as opposed to mountains so maybe that's why.

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am wondering if there is a bot of this involved. I have lost weight and I wonder if perhaps I need a 28 now instead of a 30 and it is effecting the way the bra sits.

Thanks InkedDoll of the M&S suggestion, I actually haven't tried them in ages and have never bought a non wired from them, but I hear they have really improved their range on non wired recently so I will check them out!

Also thanks bekkijane, I never thought to try supermarkets for some reason even though my sports bra is from Tesco and I love it, it never occured to me to try there for a regular bra.

Ali_G I used to love underwired bras too. I don't know what has gone wrong. All I do know is that recently I have become very intolerant of uncomfortable clothing. Not just bras, tight trousers and tops too. I guess these days I would rather be comfortable than look good Smiley smile

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

Definitely go and get measured! A Bravissimo has just opened near me, and the wonderful lady there took me from a badly fitting 36E to a way more comfortable 34G! The back strap holds about 90% of the weight and needs to be quite tight, so if you have lost weight then perhaps a 30 isn't tight enough for you now. I don't know about non-wired bras, I haven't worn one in years, but I would definitely recommend getting fitted by someone who really knows what they're doing ?

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem, I hated wearing my bra and I took it off the minute I could. Turns out I needed to get a bigger size. I was always a 32B, now I am a 34B. I would recommend getting yourself measured first :-)

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I really hate underwired bras where the under wire suddenly makes a bid for escape and pokes you, and you're out somewhere and can't take it off... ouchy ouchy ouch. Evil bras.

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    MissJag ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the girls who say get measured. I was having terrible trouble with bras and got measured about 3 years ago. I thought I was a 34B but when I got measured I was actually a 32C. I have since put on weight and when I went for my wedding underwear last week was measured again and now I am a 34D. I think we should actually get measured every so often our shapes change with age and diets etc.

Whilst on the subject of underwear I have had terrible trouble getting wedding lingerie. I want a champagne coloured strapless bra or basque with matching knickers. I live in the SE and went all round our local town and the big shopping centers like Bluewater and could find nothing. I was getting really depressed, especially when the sales assistant at House of Fraser in Bluewater told me to get a wonder bra. When I said it wasn't very bridal she snapped at me ' its more bridal than those you have just been looking at'. Old cow I just walked out. I did eventually find underwear in a nice underwear shop in Ilkley in Yorkshire when visiting my cousin at the weekend. Do brides in the SE not wear underwear??

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Personally I've never had an issue with underwire. Never been poked by a loose bit or anything. I think I might feel weird if I were wearing non-underworld to be honest.

Would definitely recommend getting measured though to make sure you're getting the best fit possible.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Non-wired are a bit of a different fit. They make your boobs sit slightly further apart so it's a bit of a retro look. I like that though. Also the straps don't fall off my shoulders, which wired bras always do.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

There is a new triumph range think it's only one or two bra's that have a silicone wire. I've got one and its the only bra I haven't found uncomfortable. I've been measured loads of places I still I have trouble but this one seems ok.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics