Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

I hate working full-time!

*Ducky*, 18 of March of 2013 at 11:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 38

Does anyone else ever feel like all they do is work work work? I guess this is less of an issue if you love your job, but for those of you that don't?

The novelty of having money has definitely worn off in the years since leaving Uni, I'm so fed up of doing the same thing week in week out. Then I worry I'll feel the same whatever job I did.

I think I need to work part-time, and chill part-time. Not sure H would be in agreement though.... Oh well, I'll hang on for that lottery win!

38 replies

Latest activity by Pompey, 25 of March of 2013 at 11:50
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rant there!

• N
    nathangmzz ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I am doing a full time job and I am very happy ? with my job. Full time job is blessing for you. I really like full-time job. If you have any other course or have any problem then you must do half-time jobs.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Huh? ^

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking about you over the weekend actually, Ducks.

I have no idea if this even exists but have you thought about looking into something to do with fertility? Like a private patient liaison person or something? I was just thinking how good you are at explaining things and you have a really good knack of taking complicated things and putting them into more understandable words!

Tell me to knob off if needs be x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

?

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Yes!

Same old routine day in day out. Up at stupid o'clock, gym, work, home, bed, alarm set etc etc.

Will check my Lotto tickets later....................

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly how you feel Ducky. I would love to work 30 hours a week or less. Hubby has actually agreed it, as long as I can still pay my share of the bills, but I don't want to because I enjoy spending the money too much.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I feel a bit like that too sometimes Ducky! A womens work is never done especially when working full time, house etc.

My new job has a commute every day but way more holidays and bank holidays plus a really good pension, maternity, sick etc so basically Im just going to remind myself of all those things every time I start to feel 'blah' about work!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I work about every other weekend, because science never sleeps. I don’t get paid any extra, it is just expected of you. Again, not a problem if you like your job/work/project… I don’t.

Kharv – I would love something to do with fertility. There is a new IVF clinic opening here (the first in the county) and I have enquired about Embyology Training schemes with them.

What gets me down is I spend so much time working, thinking about work, worrying about work, not sleeping because of work, that I don’t even enjoy the time I’m not working. Holiday next week though, can’t wait for some time to get my head together.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I feel exactly like this. I really want to retire (now) but can't for financial reasons. Not only am I the major earner in our relationship, but unitl H's son reaches the age of 19 and finds a place in a good residential home we are stuck with having to have two houses and all the extra expense that entails.

And PT is not an option because of the great cost of commuting that is the same, regardless of how many days you work. (thank you train company!!)

I just try to save money in an Isa, thinking that every £10K or so that Ic an save will buy me so many months of early retirement. It's a long game.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the career advice.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is why I haven't gone part-time yet. H earns 400quid a month more than me, and if I am off one day a week I will be doing all of the housework, therefore still working full-time.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Plus Is telling Kharv to Knob off replacing telling Kharv to pipe down? or shall I just bank both put downs to use at random?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

And Ducky I feel the same it makes me want to cry the thought of working full time for the next 35+ years!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I am comfortable with both. I also respond to 'Do one, kharv'.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I knw what you mean. My work history has been a bit random since Uni - however, I can certainly say that before I even had our son I would have loved to have cut down on hours. It was probably because my hubby WFH so he was always there (not dressed) when I left for work in the morning, and there (usually dressed!) when I got home! Desipte being in the house all day (and therefore not having 45 min commute) I still cooked all meals etc. Meh.

However, I knew it wouldn't be forever. We discussed that when we had children I would stop work to be a SAHM . My salary wasn't especially great, so once you factor in childcare costs, petrol, wear and tear on the car etc etc it didn't seem worth the stress for what would have been maybe a couple of hundred quid a month (if that?). Even part-time it wasn't worth it.

Whilst being a SAHM sometimes does my head in (and that's before #2 arrives!) I don't miss the daily drive and the not switching off from work just because I was at home, iykwim.

For now, just try and save as much of the money as you can and picture that it wont be like this forever? That's what I did!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

what about "Pipe down Kharv and Do one"

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it does get that way whatever job you do. Im lucky that I love my current job so I do enjoy going in most of the times (the rest of the time im a stressed out dribbling wreck)

I would hate to not work at all. I think I would go mad.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I would love to work part time but fear I would use that time to watch TV and eat rather than do the stuff round the house that needs doing.

I am changing jobs in a couple of weeks though which means my two hour commute a day will be cut down to about 20 mins so when I start there I'll feel like I'm working part time!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Come and work for me, part time nanny part time cake tester?!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been a SAHM since I was 18, so haven't had a paid job for nearly 10 years. I went mad before C was even 1. For an 18 year old, I had a really well paid job before I had C (£260 a week, fab), and I really missed adult conversation, banter of the workplace etc.

Mummy guilt sees me staying at home with J, as I did it for C. I look forward to going out to work.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is slowly happening to me..

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Yep I definitely do not NOT want to work. I would just like a little bit more life in the work life balance (or at least not spend it preparing for more work or catching up on sleep!).

EF - You've hit the nail on the head. It is the work I dislike. However, part of me worries I am just lazy and whatever job I had, I would resent it for taking up so much time. I'm in a pickle at the moment, but I am working through my options. I just want to be sure the grass is greener (or at least as green) before making any firm decisions. I think I am going to ask for a break (intercalation?) of a few months to get out of here and try something new. If I still hate the something new, the door is still open here and if I return I should have new found enthusiasm for the work.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Flow - You can interview me in Colchester yea?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Defo, wear your best onesie!!!

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I quite honestly hate my day job. I also feel because I work some nights teaching fitness that I don't get any time to do anything round the house and when I do get some time at home I can't be bothered doing anything round the house as I'm so bloody tired.

I loved my last day job but not this one, its nearly double the salary but money doesn't make you happy and it can't buy time either!!!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too. I've been a SAHM for a year and a half, and I'm losing my mind. I'm stuck between a rock & a hard place though because trying to balance work & family life while the kids are so little drove me bananas before, which is why I gave up work in the first place!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes really look forward to the day we might have a child so that I can have at least 6 months off work! Work can be challenging but I know it will become easier as time passes as I am still new to it. This will also mean I have more time for myself. From previous jobs I know I much prefer having to put in extra time and effort as a teacher which gives me more job satisfaction than the admin jobs I had which I didn't care about every much.

Like others, I think if I had more time to myself I would waste it so I might as well get paid for my time! I do really look forward to the weekend though, and of course the regular weeks off.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I am quite lucky as my 37 hours fits in to 4 days but it is a compromise with unsociable shifts. However after four years I am more than ready to move up a step but it is taking a lot longer than I would like so I am having to be patient.

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly how you feel so as of a few weeks ago I reduced my hours from 5 days a week to 4 days a week. I miss the money A LOT because I love shopping but the fact I have better stress levels and more time for myself means I am much much happier. I thought I would be miserable with less money but I really don't care, I still have just about enough for my bills and a few luxuries and I'm lucky my OH was supportive.

• N
    nathangmzz ·
    • Hide content

I have two days Off from my work. I wake up at 10:00 AM and my day start with boring. I am so bored all the day. I really enjoy the full day work.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You should've watched Jeremy Kyle ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics