Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mini*
Beginner January 2012

I have a stye, cures?

*Mini*, 21 March, 2013 at 08:50 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

As if my week couldn't get much worse. I woke up with a whacking great lump on my eye.

Anyone have any good home remedies for me? I am off to a wedding in 2 days time and I dont want to have to wear an eye patch like a pirate.

9 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 21 March, 2013 at 10:33
  • S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

My Nan used to say if you lightly rubbed a gold ring over the style it would go. Nan was full of old wives tales like that, so it's no help at all!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

will white gold do?

Honestly, I feel such a munter atm. My hair is crap. I had my shoulder injections yesterday so my back is covered in bruises and now my eye has a huge lump in it.

Urgh

*pityparty for one*

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

I don't know, possibly, I think it's supposed to be your wedding ring you use but I could be getting mixed up with another tale!

Sorry to hear you're feeling rough, though.

ETA - obviously I meant stye, not style!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

My nan used to say that, too, and I used to do it but then I researched it and there appears to be no scientific basis for it! I could have sworn it worked though.

When I have them they tend to go down relatively quickly. Make sure you have no eye makeup on and resist the urge to touch it.

Put a flannel soaked in warm to hot water over it for ten minutes a could of times a day.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I have to say I have used the gold trick in the past and it seemed to work for me.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

As long as you clean the ring properly first, it's not going to do any harm. Last thing you want is to get dust in it from the ring!

I always thought it had to be yellow gold, though.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Keep clean, no mascara or make up on it and use salt water on it.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

No make-up, keep it clean with a mild soap, hot compresses as several times a day for ten mins or so at a time. They are bacterial infections so do what you'd do in any other similar case - keep your hands clean, don't touch your eye, don't share towels etc.

And completely contrary to medical advice....

I have had this a couple of times. Although advice is not to pop them under any circumstances, I have done so both times with no problem. Well, not so much like you do a spot but if you can pinpoint the eyelash that is plugging it, you can pull that out. Like a spot though, I'd let it go for as long as possible (with the hot compresses) before I did this. Beware though, the gunk that comes out is a bit stomach churning. I haven't had one for nearly twenty years and I can still picture my face in the mirror and the goop that appeared. But like I say - this is entirely against medical advice so it's at your own risk.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

And the gold thing....

Gold has antibacterial properties so it's biological plausible that exposing a stye to gold atoms could help it heal. However, non-sterile gold rings probably aren't the ideal or most efficient delivery method to a region already infected with bacteria. White gold wouldn't have the same effect as yellow gold because it tends to be coated with rhodium (so the gold atoms wouldn't be delivered onto the stye).

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

No make up ? its a good job I am not at work.

Ok will give all of the above a try, I had one when I was about 16 Footlong .My whole eyelid had swollen so I decided to pop it. The sheer amount of yellow, green and brown pus that came out is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

I have a yellow gold ring that I dont wear, I will dig it out, cant hurt I imagine.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics