Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2010

I have been given the wrong wedding dress!

SammyP, 22 July, 2010 at 12:00 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi there,

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem and would welcome any advice on what to do. Basically I have just discovered that the bridal shop I bought my dress from have made a different dress to the one that I originally tried on and ordered.

I picked the dress up in May afer ordering in November 2009 and it sounds silly but I felt at the time that something was different but put it down to the fact that it had been 6 months and also because the dress was not the right length I thought maybe it was giving it a diffent look to how I remebered.

The dress has been stored at my Parent's house so I haven't been constantly looking at it but something has been niggling away that it's not right so I decided to look at a picture of it again on the shops website. I sent the pictures to my Mum and asked her to check it and it turns out that it's not the same dress. Whilst it is the same colour and material and at a glance it might look the same, all of the embelishment is different.

My Mum contacted the shop yesterday and they are not being very helpful and saying that there's nothing they can do. It's only 9 weeks until the wedding and the last thing I need is a battle with the shop, but does anyone know where you might stand legally with this? I have the paperwork which has the name of the dress on it that should have been ordered, will that be enough?

Any advice would be gratefully received! ☹️

3 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 22 July, 2010 at 12:20
  • lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Oh nooo, Sammy I feel so awful for you. Do you like the dress? Obviously they are completely out of line but I agree that with the wedding in 9 weeks, the last thing you want is a battle on your hands right now and I don't know how much can be done? I have no experience, but I would suggest complaining in writing straight away, and show the 2 pictures so it's official - I would send it to the manager - find their name, and if it's a chain, send it to the head office. I'm just thinking if it's the embellishment that is different they could add to it - I'm not sure about taking away (but i'm no seamstress) and they can definitely make changes to the shape as my friend did get the dress she ordered but decided she didn't really like it and they reduced the train, took some of the bling off, etc, they changed quite a lot for her.

So sorry this has happened to you - hope you get something sorted, keep us posted ?

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    SammyP ·
    • Hide content

The dress is still very nice but I just don't feel comfortable knowing that it's not "my dress". I fell in love with the one that I tried on originally and when I tried on the dress that had been made I didn't get that same feeling. But like I said, I just put it down to that fact that it was 6 months ago and the fact that it needed to be altered. Plus you know what it's like when you try them on originally, they're a standard size and I had to be clipped in to it at the back, so obviously it felt different that it was now the correct size.

I have my Mum on the case so I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but this is one stress I really could have done without!

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

O dear! Its a pity you hadnt looked more at it when you collected it! It cant be too different to what you originally ordered or you would have noticed immediately. go to your mums and have a try on. See if there is anything that you do want changing. Then get on to the bridal shop and get them to sort it out. Its possibly not actually their fault, but the designer for sending the wrong one. if you be wuite nice to the shop and go in with the "i know its not your fault" tone, they might be more obliging, and you might get a discount off the dress, or they might give you something. What company was it ordered with? Cos my freind (MOH for me) got married last year and our BM dresses were ordered, and as they had different style numbers on their website, to their paper catalogue, we got the wrong dresses! I think she actually liked them better than the original ones so we were ok!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I had this issue on ordering - I went home, googled the details on the order form and it was a different dress to the one I tried on. I have told them and she has reassured me it's fine but this is my worry - what will show up.

I think you should speak to the shop ASAP, tell them the problem and see if they still have the same sample in so you can show them that it is different.

It's then a case of asking them what can be done - I'm sure there must be a possibility of a resduced lead time but it would mean the design team literally working on it non-stop and assuming all materials were in etc. so it might we worth asking? If they say no, I would want some major complensation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics