Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner October 2010

I have been paid overpaid by my last employer - advise needed.

Noopsy, 9 of November of 2008 at 18:19 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

I have just checked my bank account online and noticed I have had a lump of money paid in from what I think is my previous employer. I resigned a month ago and recieved what I thought was my last wage at beginning of october.

Just before the time I got my final payment I was communicating with the Payroll department by email and they were aware that the october wage was my last wage.

I am pretty certain the money has come from my previous employer.

What should I do? Has anyone else has this happen to them?

Do the money have to be paid back?

Sorry, just stressing a bit as this has never happened to me before.

17 replies

Latest activity by Moglie, 10 of November of 2008 at 21:45
  • Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

It hasn't happened to me but my department has been responsible for overpaying people who have left. We send them a letter explaining what has happened and asking for the money back. We will agree to instalments if that's what the person wants.

If someone refuses to pay it back then we take it further.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

I was overpaid in April. I left my job in March - received what I thought was my final wage packet and then received ANOTHER one in April. I have told them twice on the phone and my ex-boss has emailed them to tell them twice as well. I said that once I received a letter in writing asking for it back (for my records) then I would happily send them a cheque for the full amount.

They STILL haven't requested it so it is sat in my bank account. I have a friend who was overpaid and they didn't ask for it back for 18 months so he stuck it in a high interest account. My H keeps telling me to do that too but I'm happy to leave it where it is. I want to give it back to them but I am so appalled that they don't seem bothered/aware that they can damn well sort it out themselves.

Grrrrrr.

• N
    Beginner October 2010
    Noopsy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies.

I have tried to phone my bank to see if they can clarify where they payment has come from but just been on hold for about 20 mins so given up.

How quickly do you think they are likely to notice? I know that is hard to say.

Is there a cut of time where if they haven't contacted you it no longer has to be repaid?

• Evil Yoda
    Beginner June 2005
    Evil Yoda ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it depends on how keen they are on reconciling their records.

I know that my employer has overpaid people that have left over 3 years ago!! They'v eventually noticed and have asked for the money back.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I'm an accountant and I would suspect in my company it would go unnoticed until it hit my desk for reconciliation. that said, if i have bad information from HR, it won't be noticed. I suspect with a bit of incompetence it could get as far as year end, but it unlikely to go unnoticed either then or at audit. I would say keep hold of it for a year before doing anything with it (or keep it in ahigh interest account, if they still exist at the moment!)

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I was overpaid at my current job - they paid me twice in one month - they basically told me that legally I was allowed to keep the money, but it would be nice if I gave it back...so I did, and received a little bonus for my honesty as I don't think they would have noticed if I hadn't said anything!

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Legally you are obliged to repay the money and should inform your ex employer.

Are you sure that it's an overpayment though? Could it be holiday pay?

• N
    Beginner October 2010
    Noopsy ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it is holiday pay, but I suppose this is a possibility.

I will give them a ring tommorow and see what they say.

Thanks for all the adviceSmiley smile

• N
    Beginner October 2010
    Noopsy ·
    • Hide content

Just noticed on my online banking that the payment was bank is as a bank transfer (TFR) rather than a Bank Giro Credit (BGC). So would this mean that it has been sent by a different kind of payment, not automatic payment (hope that makes sense?!?

Just thought I would ask as there seems to be some knowledgable people around Smiley smile

• NickJ
    Beginner
    NickJ ·
    • Hide content

Whay are you stressing about this? just call your ex employer in the morning and ask. <baffled>

• N
    Beginner October 2010
    Noopsy ·
    • Hide content

I'm only asking!

I am going to ring them in the morning, but just thought I would ask.

Sorry!

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

your ex employer sounds like they couldn't find their arse with both hands. are they still trading??

KN is right it has to be paid back (unless its a genuine payment of course)

even transfering it to another account could be construed as keeping it dishonestly, unless you'd told them it was just put there awaiting their collection

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

How could they know you'd moved it into a diferent acount?

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well they could try and recall it from the original bank account and find it lacking

they'd probably struggle to prove any MO for theft but if you move it that would give them a way in...you wouldn't be able to plead any ignorance/innocence if you'd transfered it

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I'd be surprised if they could do that. MrHs bank once paid 10k to the wrong person and the other bank in question refused to recall it.

anyway I don't see the constant need to make out people can be "done" for theft/fraud for x,y,z. It a mistake, she hasn't said she won't return the money, it hardly time to worry about getting prosecuted is it?

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i wasn't addressing the OP...i was responding to tahdah's ex employer's piss poor knowledge of the law. and imagining the company was going to get rich quick if it kept giving money away like it could have done to her ?

• W
    whitetiger ·
    • Hide content

How did you get on - I'm a nosie cow....

• M
    Moglie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics