Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ibizalovin
Beginner January 2010

I love a dress that might not love me back...

Ibizalovin, 23 November, 2011 at 21:39 Posted on Planning 0 12

Oh dear!.... argh I am stressing no end.

When I saw my dress, the Jenny Packham Anixi I loved it.

I'd been looking for months and had found nothing that made me feel so beautiful!

...But... the first time I wore it I didn’t wear a bra and though I loved the dress I knew I’d need a bra. The second time I wore it I wore a bra but the bra needed some trimming and changing to work but my b**bs looked good so I was happy with the dress being so low cut. I have now spent ages trying to find a bra that works and managed to get one from Ultimo. It has a super low plunge and cut away cups (is virtually frontless) and I reckon it will be perfect at the front. So I was happy again but I need a bra that has a low back too so I bought an extender which wraps around your body pulling the back strap lower.

Last night I tried my frontless bra on with the back extender and I’m now really worried that my b**bs look ridiculous. As you can imagine the back extender changes the tension of the back strap so it’s not as tight and supportive so I’m now worried that I’ll spend all the time worrying about whether my b**bs are going to fall out of my dress. It seems ok if I’m being a total lady and walking around elegantly but as the night wears on and I’m having a dance and a good time what then???

And now I’m wondering whether I have chosen a dress totally not suited to my EE cup boobs and whether I need to start again....[:'(]

I am going to see the dress again soon, I’m buying it preloved as new is unaffordable, so feel a pressure to buy the if it’s in good condition as I do love it but I also need to be practical. I probably need something more structured and corseted but didn’t see anything I liked so I don’t know now... But if I don’t take the dress and then can’t find anything and she sells it to someone else then I’m double screwed!!

I TOTALLY have nerves about choosing/paying for a dress that is not necessarily right...

Not sure what advice I want I’m just so lost and not sure what to do and my best confidante and most knowledgeable person in my life also happens to the only person I cant talk to about this.

12 replies

Latest activity by Ibizalovin, 30 November, 2011 at 21:03
  • Apples84
    Beginner August 2012
    Apples84 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Personally I would look around as you want to make sure you're comfortable on the day. You want to enjoy your day and not worry about falling out of your dress or stressing about the bra. I'm sure you will find a dress you feel amazing in and that you don't need to worry about.

What about the stick on bras. Not sure how good they work especially with bigger boobs but might be worth a look if your hearts set in this dress x

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

Jenny packhams are beautiful but think long and hard about it - underwear as you've discovered is a nightmare!

I'm now selling my JP, for a few reasons mainly as I want tea-length but I never could get undies to work with it!!!

But saying all that if you love it go for it! LOL I was no help sorry!

• T
    Beginner December 2011
    tallgal ·
    • Hide content

I think you answered your own question- you are going to be uncomfortable and worry all day. Is that what you want for your wedding day?

• F
    Beginner
    Flickerty ·
    • Hide content

I agree, it's very hard for other dresses to feel the same after you've tried on a JP dress. I tried a couple on despite the fact they were well out of my price range, but the lady was willing to sell me a sample cheaper so thought i might as well. I absolutely loved the fabric and movement of them and it's been hard to find something quite the same, but i ended up deciding against it, also for boob reasons! My concern was similar to yours, in that i just didn't think i would feel completely comfortable and confident in it as i prefer to be quite well supported. Another sway was that, even with the discounted sample dresses, they were still quite pricey.

Maybe try it on again with the new underwear and have a good jiggle and jump around to put it to the test! If you still have doubts then don't put yourself under pressure to buy it as it will only carry on worrying you.

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say, I have E - EE cup boobs too and I cannot imagine wearing a dress that floaty - my dress is going to be well structured and corsetted to within an inch of its life!!!

However, if you feel comfortable and confident that your boobs look good and wont fall out, then go for it!

• D
    Davialle ·
    • Hide content

Could you add a straight back strap to the dress in pale silver or white? Just wide enough to cover the bra strap? I don't know what the back looks like and it also depends how attached you are to the design of the back.

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

I've got quite a new bust of 34F due to having children and recently ordered over £500 of lingerie to try on at home (almost all of it is being sent back!)

What I have found is that with these ❤️❤️ babies, unsupported, their weight means they lie quite low and flat. They can be pulled up, and then actually look fab and I love showing off the cleavage! But my "decent" cleavage is now in a different place to where it was before!! ? I couldn't wear anything this low cut as my boobs would need a teeny bra, which would result in huge separation, which makes them look droopy!

As I was trying on all the bras yesterday I found that anything that claimed to "push up" actually was just tight, and pushed FLAT! They went up and in, but they also got squashed and made me look like I had dinner plates!

Grimmer than a grim thing.

My suggestions would be:

Go to somewhere like Rigby and Peller - lots of £££, but I think they are the proverbial B0ll0ck$ when it comes to lingerie, if they can't help you - no-one can!

Look into ways of adapting the dress to accommodate your bra (can it take some sort of panel across the lower part of the V-neck?)

Look for another dress (not my favourite suggestion, but still a practical one)

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Do you think you could get it altered in any way so that it feels a bit more structured?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

It is a beautiful dress, and I can understand why you have fallen in love with it! I tried a similar one on when I was looking and I just loved it!

I would say that you need to go back and try it on again, with the underwear you have bought. As someone else has said, really jiggle about in it and see what you think. Can you take a friend with you for their opinion? Perhaps speak to a few lingerie shops in the mean time for advice?

One thing I would say about getting a more structured dress is be aware of how warm it will be. It'll be warm in Ibiza in the summer and you don't want anything too heavy or restrictive.

• Ibizalovin
    Beginner January 2010
    Ibizalovin ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for you incredibly helpful comments, I came on as more of a place to rant and feel sorry for myself but you have really helped make me think that I might still have a chance of wearing this dress - Hitched is brilliant at times like this!

Starstruck I was looking at them today and thinking of checking out one of their bespoke services. I just wonder how bespoke they actually are, I hope its not just fabric etc but what I really need is total bespoke design. Oh dear bring on the big bucks!!

• Ibizalovin
    Beginner January 2010
    Ibizalovin ·
    • Hide content

So Ive been to see the dress and it was absolutely beautiful - as I knew it would be - and fit like a glove. The whole bra thing wasn’t as big an issue as I thought it would be as the dress also provided lots of support. I wore the Ultimo frontless bar and it was fine at the front but still needed the back strap. I didnt spend ages trying options though as the dress been altered by a bad seamstress as the hem was all skew and much shorter on one side. It obviously didn’t bother the owner but it REALLY worried me and if Id had it straightened it would have been too short. Also if you think about it the wonderful thing about Jenny P dresses is the way the flow and move so mistake was sooooo obvious!

So I’m ringing around Jenny P stockists to see if I can find it cheaper than in the boutique, without getting to excited and being practical, and if not I still have 6 months to go so I can go back to the dress drawing board.

? Im pretty calm about it all though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics