Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Soon2bMrsCB
Beginner July 2014

I love the cake table ideas but how do I ask people to bring cakes!

Soon2bMrsCB, 8 November, 2012 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi

As above! I dont want toseem rude when asking but we are having a country wedding and love the idea of having a cake/cookie table in the evening where people have brought them along and we can display them all, wanted to use them as part of the evening buffet,is it rude to ask?

Thanks

x

11 replies

Latest activity by rubyfirecracker, 8 November, 2012 at 22:55
  • Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes fair point! they did however said they will accommodate our wedding cake which they are aware my mums making (shes not a cake maker) but she makes an amazing victoria sponge which is my fav!

Will have to def clarify with the venue!

• Bluebell25
    Beginner August 2013
    Bluebell25 ·
    • Hide content

I'm also doing this, but have already picked specific people that I know very well/know they love to cook to make certain things so we know what we're getting. I honestly think they'll be happy to do it, the few I've asked so far have been really excited. We have 150 coming, and I'm planning to ask about 10% of these to make a pudding to bring, plus the wedding cake which I'm making with my mum. I'm hoping just asking a small number will mean we can coordinate it quite well, and keep tabs on what everyone's doing. Also asking them individually should mean that they won't think 'someone else will do it, so I don't have to'.

OH has volunteered his brother (a chef) to make us a huge profiterole tower. He's one we haven't asked yet! Smiley atonished

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

We're taking our own food in for the evening (a cheese tower, crackers, pate) - our venue are fine with this as our evening food isn't counted in our minimum spend.

They will however make us sign a disclaimer. Most venues would probably do something similar.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Just check what type of cakes you can have too. Our venue said we were only allowed a sponge or fruit cake as they didn't have anywhere to keep items that needed a fridge. Meant that we couldn't have a cheesecake as it couldn't be stored anywhere.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

I've asked people who's goodies I have sampled and love (I have a lot of friends who are ace cooks and who feed me well). Along the lines of...*would you like to bring some of that yummy lemon drizzle/ brownies/ flapjack with you?* and everyone has said Yes! excitedly. I am going to put little labels with a drawing (by me) of the person who made them in front of their goodies as a surprise. I have also said to people that I'd appreciate that as the wedding present, which for most people is great as its much cheaper and very personal Smiley smile

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies,will def speak to venue first then will def be asking a chosen few, have actually already asked one of my bridesmaids as she makes an awesome banoffee pie and millionaires shortcake!!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't ask people to contribute cakes.. We're doing a cake table, but I'm buying/making them all, though a couple people will help me. If you are dead set on having people bring cakes, you'll have to be sure you can accommodate what ends up on the table. Will everyone supply their own cake plate? How will it all get set up on the day? As for asking people, I wouldn't suggest putting anything on the invitation. Perhaps just approach certain people you know would be interested in doing it?

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's awesome for people to contribute cakes, especially people who are good bakers and enjoy it. I love making cake and always take some goodies when I visit someone (or even just pop round). I think having homemade is better than shop bought, but that's just me. Sharing a favourite recipe is so amazing, especially when you get to see lots of people enjoying it.

I have a good few cake plates but am borrowing from other people too - I guess it depends if you know chintsy people Smiley smile You can also use pretty china or decorative plates that you can pick up cheaply. I think mismatched looks ace.

I personally wouldn't put it on the invite, as it does need a degree of organisation. So ask people you know can bake and who have a good recipe and who genuinely would enjoy it. I have asked about 10 friends and family so far, and then when I mentioned that;s what we were doing to others, they were like *ooh can i bring my coffee cake, I make a mean one* etc etc...

You could arrange to pick them up the day before. Buy some card cake boxes to put them in (they cost pennies) and then either you or a friend could pick them up. If you don't have loads and loads, you can supplement with sweeties, fruit, cookies and other goodies.

I think it's a grand idea Smiley smile

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We're wording it as 'The Great Wedding Bake Off' on our wedding website! Making it a bit fun and then we're going to judge it after the meal and give out rosettes for the top three. Saw it on a blog wedding and it looked like a good laugh so though we'd try it Smiley smile

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics