Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner October 2011

I need to lose a stone !

oldgal, 12 March, 2011 at 17:26 Posted on Planning 0 15

Here is the thing ! I have always been slim and am a small frame. My dress was bought with that in mind but I have gained a stone since meeting OH ! I have 3 kids and work and am in my car all day. I don't go to the gym anymore due to having no one at home to have kids while I go. I bought a cross trainer which is fab but I am so exhausted of a night I can't motivate myself ! I need some serious help here ! I am a BM in August and straight after am going to Florida for 2 weeks. We get married a month later ! I was looking at Tesco diets has anyone tried this ? I can't get to meetings etc. I feel like such a lethargic lump ! I am always hungry and always tired ! I need to get out of this rut !

15 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 13 March, 2011 at 11:32
  • L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever tried Slimming World! i can't praise it enough, i'm 1lb short of losing a stone in 7 weeks and never feel hungry doing it! i go to the meetings, but you can do it online too

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Wow that is amazing ! Do you have to go to meetings and is it easy to follow ?

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Duh ! You said online sorry I am fick ! lol

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

I was the same. Before I was pregnant I was a size 8 and then when I had my baby I had to buy a size 14 dress for a wedding and that was when I felt very depressed! I found I lost weight after I stopped breast feeding but still wanted to lose more and get down to at least a size 10. I now do Weight Watchers online- being a mum I struggle to get time to go to any weight classes so this has been a good option for me. I have lost all but the 3Ib i need to for my wedding in a months time! It's been great. a stone shed in 3 months and I don't feel like I've gone without treats! I also started walking everywhere locally and found that made a massive difference. Once you get into it, you find it gets easier. WW also gives you extra points each week which allow you to snack and enjoy a glass of wine (or a few!) as well and still lose weight. It really is about motivation though- I used our wedding as mine.

• T
    Beginner
    Taz the Penguin ·
    • Hide content

I used to use a site called Weight Loss Resources - it's a subscription site which calculates your calorie needs based on your age, height, weight and activity level and then you set how much you want to lose and how quickly - the site then gives you a daily calorie allowance and you log what you eat (or plan to eat) so you can see exactly where it adds up. I found it helped me make better choices so I got more value for my calories - so more vegetables and fruit and less dense calorie foods that didn't fill me up. I lost a stone using it and they have a help team and friendly forums for help and support. You can get a 24 hour free trial first to see what it's all about.

I just found it was really useful to see where I was eating without thinking about it and you can also add exercise you manage in the day which gives you extra calories.

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    LizzyB ·
    • Hide content

It's very easy once you know how. I do the extra easy and there are so many things that you are able to eat.

You basically have a certain amount of syns that you can use during the week (i have 70, but not sure how they work this out for different people).

There is a list of free foods that you can eat as much as you like and you also have an option A and Option B which you can choose from daily!

It's actually quite difficult to explain to someone ?

I'm not sure how the online version will work. I actually enjoy going to the classes which I never thought I would

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

www.foodfocus.co.uk is almost identical to weight loss resources but free!

• anmaloch
    Beginner August 2013
    anmaloch ·
    • Hide content

I also went to slimming world, its great, i lost 6lbs in my first week and i didnt stop eating. u can do it online, i went to classes but ive stopped going and now i just try to stick to it at home instead,

• CardiffInvitations
    CardiffInvitations ·
    • Hide content

I have used Davina DVD's before and they are really good. She has done quite a few but she normally breaks them down into sections so you can just fit in as many as want/have time for.

Anna

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I like the sound of slimming world burt it looks complex is it ? I have joined the free food focus so thanks for that tip.

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I cant praise slimming world enough...i have lost 1stone 2lb in 7 weeks, and gone from an 18/20 to a 14/16!!!! still got just under 2 stone to loose, which i hope to have done before august....i would recommed going to a meeting tho as they explain everything to you...i take my son with me sometimes..

Sarah

• catann
    Beginner October 2010
    catann ·
    • Hide content

I have done every diet under the sun...atkins,herbal life,weight watchers, slimming world. I would never advise anyone to go on a 'diet' as its not educating yourself about good portion control and a well balanced diet. I am 5' 10" and now weigh 10 and a half stone (I was once 16 stone). It took me years of yo yo 'dieting' to realise that the best and most sensible thing to do is to watch what you eat every day of your life. Don't ever binge and if you have a night out one night don't stuff yourself and simply cut back on your intake the next day. I basically don't ever stuff myself and eat less of what I like. The other thing that I have found that helps is to eat your main meals from a side plate. You may feel hungry for the first few days but your body will get use to it, your stomach will shrink and you will soon find that you will feel fuller quicker within a few days. This is esentially all a gastric band does. Slimming world does not educate you about portion control and encourages you to eat lots of 'free' food which in turn will expand your stomach and you will then be on a hunger cycle as your stomach will not register when you are full. Weight watchers foods are rubiish over proccessed food that is full of additives. 'Diets' also cost a fortune and you have to also pay them to weigh you....madness!!! I will often have people telling me that I don't need to worry about my weight as I don't need to loose weight. I have been there and worn the t shirt. Eating less of what you like is the key, its free and healthy!!! I watch what I eat every day of my life. Its a choice that I made as I was sick of either being on a 'diet' or off a 'diet'. I thought that I would rather eat less of things that I liked rather forcing myself to eat so called 'diet' foods. Don't want to sound like I am lecturing but its something that I feel really passionate about and have so much experience in. There is no secret, its all about will power and self control. Goodluck...xxxxx

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

I have done Tesco diets, it was good but u need time to cook and prepare yourself meals alot as it sets u a menu for the week so u need to be prepared

I lost about 1-2lbs a week

Do weight watchers online now and love it, have lost 2 stone with it

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Gosh you guys have done so well ! I have never had a weight problem but have dieted after having babies and exercised like a fiend ! But my job now is fairly sedentary but emotionally very draining and I am always exhausted ! So I just dive in when I get home. I also eat my lunch whilst driving ! I don't know what has happened to me I have lost all my discipline and in the past if I was this weight I wouldn't have tolerated it and got rid of it quick smart ! Maybe it is just because I am an oldgal now ! lol

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Whilst I'm doing slimming world + it works while I stick to it (lost 2stone 3lb since july) I know what u mean about the word 'diet'. Basically if I know I'm not goin for a week, i'll eat bread + chocolate. Its stupid because the only person I'm cheating is myself! Also I think part of the prob with slimming world is that people cling onto the word 'free' whereas they are only free when food optisnimising - ie third fruit+vege, third proteins + third carbs.I agree with your comments about portion control - I know I love big dinners but I like the fact I can eat big dinners on slimming world + still lose weight - and eating bigger, healthy meals stops me snacking on junk inbetween. I agree with exercising comment too - however I have done gym classes since I was 16 + its only since SW that I've lost weight so for me I needed re-educated on food. The support / scare tactics of group help me immesnsely as well! Big part of maintaining is when uve had a 'bad' meal or a 'bad' day don't let it turn in2 a bad week - some wks I've more willpower and motivation than others,! Good luck!x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

We've got a weekly weigh in going on over on the weight loss forum which you are more than welcome to join - sometimes it's easier with a bit of support. Also, plenty of healthy eating tips, recipes, exercise advice over there if you ask for it.

Just wanted to mention though, you said that you have always been slim, this weight gain has been sudden and unexpected, also you are tired all the time. Not trying to make you worry at all but maybe you should see your doctor just to be sure that it's not anything underlying such as a virus, anemia, chronic fatigue, etc. Like I said, I'm really not trying to make you worry but it could be something as simple as a vitamin or iron deficiency. if it is something like that, you could be fighting a losing battle trying to motivate yourself - worth a check up?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics