Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner

I only want 1 bridesmaid... will this look odd?

swee_swee_23, 6 January, 2013 at 13:00 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hello everyone,

Just wondered what your experiences or thoughts were on number of bridesmaids?

I havent been to many weddings myself but the ones I have the Brides had 5 or 6 bridesmaids.

Now I feel a dilemma for myself as I only really want one bridesmaid - my sister.

I've seen petty arguments between bridesmaids, people only picking other girls because they feel they 'have too' well I dont want this bother. I want my sister she is the only person I believe will be committed, honest and trustworthy.

I am keen to find out if any other brides are having one bridesmaid or have you been to a wedding with only one?

My question is will it look odd on the photos etc especially as my groom plans to have TWO bestmen & at least 2 ushers.

Help! Do i follow my heart? Or go with what will 'look right'

Thanks x

17 replies

Latest activity by Kim.Chris.2013, 7 January, 2013 at 16:13
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I had one bridesman and my hubby had 1 usher and 1 best man. I would say go with what you really want. More bridesmen sorry maids usually means more expense and more drama and more hassle in my cabbage!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

I was the only bridesmaid at my best friends wedding and it didn't look odd in the photos in the slightest. In fact I loved it because I got my friend all to myself and it felt totally brilliant to be the one she was relying on.

Plus I agree more bridesmaids mean more hassle and expense!

• K
    Beginner June 2013
    kittykatkat ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Go with what you want, we're going with something that people think is really odd - no bridesmaid(s), just 2 flowergirls (2-3 years old), ringbearer and 2 best men!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

No I don't think it will look odd, you should have whoever you want up there, I know people who only had one bridesmaid and no one commented or batted an eyelid Smiley smile

Also it'd help your sis when it comes to sorting the hen do because there won't be any room for anarchy or squabbles. As you say, too many bridesmaids can lead to risk of conflict over hen do, dresses, etc. etc.

Go for it!

• Mrs.P.To.Be
    Beginner March 2013
    Mrs.P.To.Be ·
    • Hide content

I'm only having one bridesmaid and from the day I asked her I knew it was the best decision I'd made. Don't worry about how it looks or what people think - go with your heart, that's what your wedding should be all about x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Not at all!

My friend had 1 bridesmaid and it didn't look odd at all. It's your wedding, do whatever you want.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I am also the same, just my sister. For expense reasons and it would either be 1 or 4. I'm having two flower girls though. OH is having a best man and that's it.

The singular BM is the way forward. We could be setting a new trend.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

I'm having one bridesmaid and my h2b is having two,best men. No ushers. We're having two flower girls though. It's your day, have who you want. x

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I've only got one maid of honour - no bms. she's my best mate and if i had bms i'd have to have 5... too expensive!!

h2b has 2 best men as well Smiley smile x

• Sara.Head
    Beginner June 2014
    Sara.Head ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I am only have my maid of honour with me as I don't want to be worrying about bridemaids and other people. Where as my fiance is having his best man and two groomsman with him. He keeps asking me if I am bothered by it and really and truthfully I'm not. I have my most important person who I know i can rely on up there with me.

x

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where the groom had a best man plus 4 ushers and the bride only had one bridesmaid. It didn't look odd at all. In fact it looked really nice because you could see that the bride had a really special bond with the girl she had picked as her bridesmaid. Also, I was a bridesmaid twice in a year a couple of years ago, once for a bride who had five bridesmaids and once for a bride who had two. As a bridesmaid I felt I did a much better job at the wedding where there were fewer bridesmaids. At the bigger wedding there were so many of us I don't think anyone wanted to push themselves forwards and help, and as a result of this the bride didn't get any help. At the smaller wedding I actually felt like a bridesmaid rather than just a glorified guest because there were just the two of us and this meant the bride got a lot more of our time and attention.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

My friend only had one bridesmaid, and it worked out just fine.

Made it easier to find a dress, no politics and the pictures were just as lovely with one, as they would have been with more.

• Pinkman'sBitch
    Beginner September 2013
    Pinkman'sBitch ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the other boat,

I was at one point going to have a whole ensemble which would have meant 7 bridemaids altogether had I had my cousins that would have been 9!.

I'm gonna have 5 adult bridesmaids, 1 flowegirl and my 2 sons as pageboys

a lot of people are like 'that many is tacky' , plus I've found out it brings a lot of drama and shopping for dresses cant be tricky budget wise.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I only had one. It was that or six and I couldn't afford six and didn't want that many anyway. One was easier.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

It is fine. It is up to you to choose who you would like so if you just want your sister that is absolutely fine.

Try not to worry

Lyne

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    Kim.Chris.2013 ·
    • Hide content

I've had a dilema with my bridesmaids too. I have 2sisters and my H2B has 1. I said when we got engaged i didnt want adult bridesmaids and my sisters thought i was joking, theyve offered to buy their own dresses not sit on the top table etc, but ive stuck to it. Im having my 2neices 9 and 3 and our daughter who will be 2. thats more than enough for me if i had my sisters i would have to have his too and that would be 6 all together. For once im being selfish and having it all about ME!!! I think u should have what u want too Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics