Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Penny P
Beginner March 2014

I want my boring, ugly venue to look AMAZING! Help!

Penny P, 14 of September of 2013 at 09:40 Posted on Planning 0 13

I'm getting wed in a lovely venue that doesn't need a lot of decorating but my reception venue is just a dull ugly function room. Rectangular in shape with a bar in the orner and dnacefloor at the end.

I have been thinking of bunting, fairy lights, candles and of course flowers.

Any pics of boring venues made amazing?

X

13 replies

Latest activity by alabastamasta, 18 of September of 2013 at 23:04
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We hired 'up lighters' to give our room a bit of a boost (not from that particular company).

• missmandymoo
    Dedicated August 2014
    missmandymoo ·
    • Hide content

Have you got any pictures of the room so that we can see and suggest ideas? I think buntings are more suited to barn/country house venues. It's also very summery. Candles and fairy lights sound great though.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Could you see if you could get the whole room draped? I've seen a few companies that do this, basically draping the walls floor to ceiling, totally changing the way the room looks. They don't attach anything to the wall as such, so they wouldn't damage the fittings, etc that are already there. Maybe look into it, not sure of the costs, just seen it done before.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this would be a really good idea, you can get marquee style lining that looks really nice.

Like this picture which is a village hall with marquee style lining...

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I've seen drapes quoted at between £10 and £20 per metre.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Up-lighters would make a big difference I think.

Or what about something like those Pom Pom things people are having nowadays? They'd fill the space a fair amount.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

We turned a boring village hall from this:

To this:

*removed*

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content

?Thanks everyone, some fantastic ideas and the village hall looks great!

I love the idea of drapes but at around £15 per metre that's ALOT of money that we don't have ☹️

The venue is set in 12 acres of open fields with a small wooded area. The building is ugly and characterless but I wanted to bring some of the of the beauty outside inside!

The pom pom idea is good, my sister made some for a wedding and they looked great.

We want to spend as little as possible (so we have more to spend on our honeymoon ? ) but still make it as great as we can

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Penny...

Do you have photos of the venue?

Have you seen a similar look you want to create?

Are you mainly bunting/floral/sparkly/something else entirely?

Do you have a rough budget?

The nice folks on here will be able to help you I'm sure :-)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I actually *wanted* mine to look like a village hall, so wasn't looking to 'transform' but you can do quite a lot with a little, I reckon.

• Penny P
    Beginner March 2014
    Penny P ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am hoping to visit the venue next week so will get some pics and post them on here.

I am very open minded with regards to decoration but I'd like a laid back home made feel but with class!

I won't know the exact budget for decoration until next week when we've done our sums but it will be in 100's not 1000's!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

You want to pick up on the scenery outside - what about small trees? Could decorate with fairy lights and use as family gifts afterwards to plant and remember your wedding day?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Our rooms sound similar... We are having a starlit backdrop behind the top table, bunting, chair covers, floor length table cloths, lots of floral decoration on the tables to draw your eyes to them instead and I am also toying with uplighters and a white dance floor to brighten it all up a bit! Xx

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Some garden centres and nurseries hire out their trees and other plants for the day for weddings; might be worth checking with ones local to your venue?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics