Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner July 2025 Devon

i want to get married quicker but my fiancé doesn’t.

Gabija, 2 of March of 2023 at 21:11 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
I want to get married in 2024 but he doesn’t because of our money situation but I’m planning our wedding as cheap as possible anyway just because of who I am. Am I wrong for wanting it? Because I’m excited for that day or we should wait? What do I do? How do I talk to him about it? Desperately need advice

P.S. we are planning our wedding for 2025

5 replies

Latest activity by Emily, 8 of March of 2023 at 11:05
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you are wrong for wanting it, we all want to do it as soon as possible as it is exciting, BUT, I think you need to consider his thoughts and finances are the main cause of arguments. His feelings are valid, as are yours, and you both need to be on the same page. You need to have an honest conversation and both put your concerns and reasons on the table and understand why he is concerned about money. For us, we wanted to have everything paid and not put things on credit cards etc and starting off in debt. We worked out the cost and then what that would be monthly until the wedding so we knew we could pay it all off. You can plan as cheaply as possible, but I wouldn't want to cut things just to do it earlier if that manes sense. you also need to consider the shorter timeline could be an issue sourcing suppliers being available for the date you want.

I do think it is sensible to understand your finances as often things cost more than you think, so can get out of control so you need to be sure you can commit financially and have a buffer pot. If you haven't done so already make a list of all the elements you want and assign a budget to each one, but you need to be realistic about what it costs, so get quotes to really be sure you know the cost. Some stuff we had an idea on but it was actually way more than we had anticipated, so that will need to be considered when you are planning.

Make some time to sit down and make a list of pros and cons for both and talk to each other, this isn't about pushing yours or his agenda, but about working together to agree on the way forward that you are both comfortable with. I wish you all the best, am sure you will agree a way forward

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Neither of you are necessarily 'wrong' - you just want different things.

A good marriage involves both of you learning to compromise (this will definitely not be the last time you disagree on something!) so it's actually great that you have this difference of opinion now, because you can developing those skills now instead of waiting for marriage.

Talk to each other about your ideal wedding, what you want it to look like and why. Then see if you can find a way to meet in the middle. For example, suppose you want a wedding in July 2024 and he wants one in July 2025, could you have a December 2024 or January 2025 wedding? If he's worried that getting married earlier won't give you enough time to save up, then do some number-crunching - how much is it actually going to cost to have the wedding that you both want. He might realise you can save up for it more quickly than he thought - or you might realise that even your 'cheap' wedding is going to cost more than you expected and you realise you do need to wait a bit longer.

Hopefully, you will both be able to talk things through and come to an agreement. Being able to deal well with conflict is vital to having a long and happy marriage, so keep working at it!

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others - really sit down together and think about what you want from your wedding, and from there you will be able to work out a realistic timeframe. Also be really honest about whether there are other reasons why you might want different times. For example, some people want a wedding sooner so they can start a family, while others might want to wait in order to get a house first. Those are obviously quite big examples, but knowing those kinds of things would help to work out your priorities as a couple.

• A
    Beginner May 2023 Essex
    Abbs ·
    • Hide content
    I was engaged august 2021 we are getting married 2023 May. Waiting helped with our financials. No matter how cheap you try to make your wedding - if you’re not eloping or just doing a registry - then it’s going to cost a couple thousands. Sometimes waiting puts less pressure - especially on men who sometimes feel they have to step up and be the financial leader during weddings
  • Emily
    Beginner November 2023 Nottinghamshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    Me and my fiancé got engaged almost 3 weeks ago now and our wedding is booked for November 2023. Yep you read right in just 8 months.
    My partners best friend and best man has stage 4 brain cancer and we’re unsure how long he has left. So we’re getting married quick. (We have been together 10 years, have 2 kids and a mortgage!😂)
    What I will say with doing it quick is we’re racking up credit card bills and we will have to be smart with money for a few years afterwards. But it’s something we both want to do quickly. So you really have to sit down and make sure that it’s something that you both agree on before deciding to take on debt because it will lead you in to it! Though you’re not wrong for wanting it now. My wedding day is booked and I wish it was tomorrow!! 😂 x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics