Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

IBS - what does it feel like?

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 17 of September of 2013 at 16:43 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

I have recently begun to experience some weird tummy symptoms. Sometimes, after eating, I can feel what seems to be kicks and thumps in my stomach (no obvious retorts here, please). It's like food gurgling down my intestinal tract, but doing so in fits and starts. It kind of builds up to semi-cramp stage, then I get a little thump (which will cause my tummy to visibly move) and then the pressure's gone for a little bit. Then it builds up again....

IBS? Or am I massively underestimating the level of problems that IBS causes?

18 replies

Latest activity by SallyLou, 18 of September of 2013 at 09:43
  • Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I have been diagnosed with IBS, but I've never had to change a thing, so there are definitely different levels of problems with it.

I get exactly that sensation you describe, a kind of popping sensation almost. I also get period type cramps sometimes, when it's not normal period time. Now and again I have issues with constipation, which usually results in bleeding, but this only happens once or twice a year.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

IBS is different for lots of people but the main symptom which is generic is your actual bowel movements, so it can go from constipation to bouts of diarrhea, it's really not that nice. I have it, and I can't say I can relate to your symptoms but that's not to say it couldn't be IBS.

I know you won't mind me asking but what are your bowel movements like?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Well this morning I was banging on the bathroom door yelling to my H to "get ouf there really quickly"

And mine is pretty mild!

Seriously, I seem to have trouble digesting food, prefer to eat little and often and suffer from either constipation of the opposite - possibly both in the same day, and with no warning. Also bloating after eating anything. Elastic waistbands would be my friend if i wasn't so vain! It does mean I don't really like eating out.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm with AC on the bloating, excuse the pun but it really is a pain in the arse!

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like it could be threatening. I used to get it after eating too much bread but I seem to have 'grown out of it'. I'd be sh!tting over a five bar gate within 10 minutes of over indulging.

Can you pinpoint any triggers? If you can and just cut them back a little for a while, you'll hopefully be able to rein it back in again

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I can definitley control mine with looking after what I eat. To those of you that have it do you find stress makes it worst? It's by far my worst trigger. I've had my worst bouts the build up to getting married and when I moved to the Midlands, I thought I was dying! The pain was incredible!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think it is one of those things that affects everyone differently.

My only complaint is that every so often, I'll have very painful tummy cramps that build up and die down (much like a contraction I imagine!). They get closer and closer together and more and more intense. I end up going to the loo several times and by the end of the cramps it is like water. The episodes last about an hour in total and are always the same.

I don't know the triggers despite trying to find them for years. The frequency varies, I can go months without an episode and then have two in a week. I have been tested for coeliac disease and Crohn's which were both clear.

I think IBS is an umbrella term for iffy tummy with no cause for concern. Whether its fast poos, slow poos, no poos, cramps, wind, unusual noises. Just means you have to treat the symptom if you can't find the cause.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For the last couple of months, pretty, um, runny. It started on holiday back in July and hasn't really recovered yet. However, this is not massively unusual for me - my diet varies wildly between angelic months and takeway months, so I get a fair amount of variation!

Perhaps I've just started to eat something a little difficult for me to digest. It does seem to happen after a lot of veg, salad particularly (had this last night). I wonder if raw greens are playing me up?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Sounds very similar to some of my symptoms. I've suffered with IBS for almost 20 years now and those feelings usually mean an attack of diarrhoea is imminent. I go from one extreme to the other, usually within hours, particularly after junk food which I mostly avoid now. Does feel wierdly like a baby kicking sometimes!!! But there are varying symptoms and some get it worse than others. Stress can bring on an attack so no wonder lots of b2bs suffer!!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

My best friend get very severe symptoms. Swings from constipation to having to go to the loo 3 or 4 times a day she also get violent stomach pains which radiate through to her back. Not to mention the bloating and trapped wind ☹️

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Like I have to go to the toilet now! There can't be a delay.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

As so many points out, the symptoms differ from person to person.

For me, when I've had it (but avoid now bread during the day) it feels like lots of little kicks in my stomachs and every steps hurts. But generally I'm ok. Othertimes something like milk can set me off and I cna be in pain for hours, but generally I'm very lucky that mine is mild

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I also have it but it comes and goes throughout the year. I find it flares up if I am a bit stressed about something or if I'm upset about something. I get the bloating with stomach cramps and the runs too. Walking helps a lot to get rid of the bloating and avoiding any high fibre foods which makes it worse. I have a supply of Lomotil from my GP for when it does flare up which really helps. Worth getting it checked out though.

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

I too have IBS, it came on in my late teens.

I get lots of gurgling, gas, bloating, constipation and diarrhoea, nausea and if it's really bad stabbing pains in my stomach. Mine definitely gets worse with stress and it's set off by wheat and occasionally dairy. I do try and avoid wheat as much as possible, sometimes I cave and it's ok, other times its really not and I have a bout.

Hopefully you're symptoms will clear up and you'll feel better soon - might be worth a trip to the docs if it continues. :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics