Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
VIP April 2022 Wiltshire

Icons Changed

Charlotte, 15 of September of 2021 at 09:06 Posted on Feedback to Hitched 0 14

Has anyone else icons for guests changed? Previously the icons were male/female or child pics, now it is just a grey icon, which makes it harder to identify the guest type, especially on the seating plan tool.

14 replies

Latest activity by Jodie, 30 of April of 2023 at 16:39
  • Helen
    Hitched Admin August 2022 Surrey
    Helen ·
    • Hide content

Hey Charlotte!

I'm Helen, the deputy editor at Hitched. We've actually recently changed this for everyone - we got quite a few messages from couples whose guests didn't identify as male or female and they didn't like having to put them into those categories. We decided to remove the section where you pick the gender of your guest so you'll see these new grey icons with your guests' names next to them instead.

We're always working hard to make the site more inclusive and I hope it doesn't affect your seating chart planning too much. If you can't see your guests' name then let me know and we can get one of our tech team to look into it!

Thanks,

Helen x

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the reply Helen, and fully understand the reasoning, I guess it was just easier to see with the colours. Maybe Hitched could look at an option to assign different colours to icons so give choice to brides to help ease the planning visually, or keep the male female and add an option for non gender specific, so that is inclusive for all identities? but no worries if not an option

• Kirsty
    Beginner August 2022 South West London
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, is there a way to change the genders at all? Because on my analytics it seems to have assigned gender anyway, but in a very odd way. It says there are
    0 female, 42 male and 119 unassigned. Is it going my name? Is it random?
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not now, when you go in to a guest profile there is no option so I suspect the analytics was partial merged over when they changed it. You can see Adult vs Children numbers but not gender specifics

• RomanticIvoryStationery32250
    Beginner September 2022 South Yorkshire
    RomanticIvoryStationery32250 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whilst I fully understand and appreciate the embracing of the whole 'gender' identification, I feel it would have been fairer to leave as is with the addition of the grey non descript icon. I feel a tad discriminated against by removing the originals to be honest!!!

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree, their understanding of DEI is way off! So many companies completely miss the mark on what inclusivity is, it is about mutual existence and recognition as the same validity. By being 'inclusive' they are actually excluding and making a minority, completely reversing the concept! There should be Male. Female and Non Gender option!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Also, there is a difference between birth assigned sex and gender identity. I am all for inclusivity but there is so much miss interpretation of what it is that these crazy things happen
  • RomanticIvoryStationery32250
    Beginner September 2022 South Yorkshire
    RomanticIvoryStationery32250 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agree 100%
  • Richard
    Beginner May 2022 Bedfordshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    The problem we have now is we have some guest showing as Male, Female or a child and then the more recently added in the new way and showing as unspecified. It’s a really mess and a shame
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agree, is a mess! All they needed to do was add non gender and not remove the others!!
  • Richard
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree will have to find a different solution for the table plan which is a shame as I quiet liked it

• Richard
    Richard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Helen,

I raised this with support as my table plan has Children\Males\Females and the new grey icons. I obviously can't use it like this and this was the unacceptable reply i received: -

The best thing for you to do would be to remove the guests who have a gender specified and re-add them again so you don't have to select the gender. I would like to let you know that we're constantly looking into being inclusive and taking the feedback on board.

I have RSVP's stored against this guest and that would be a huge piece of work to add them all back in and re do the RSVP etc. Surely Hitched can come up with a better answer than this.

• Starfishmoon
    Curious May 2022 Kent
    Starfishmoon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Helen,

Please can something be done about this? I have females listed as males for no reason and even when I delete and re-add. They are not grey, they are still male?

As others have said. It would be better for planning to choose from three options for true inclusion. This forced non gender update, has actually rendered the tool fairly useless for most.

• J
    Beginner June 2023 West Midlands
    Jodie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah ours is the same - I now have a half and half planner which looks rubbish

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics