Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB_2_be
Beginner August 2011

Ideas for a Greek themed wedding reception please!

MrsB_2_be, 6 September, 2010 at 18:05 Posted on Planning 0 5

Please can I pick your brains about my wedding theme? I don't have a creative bone in my body so this part of the planning is tough for me ☹️ We got engaged in the Greek islands so the only theme I could think of was something to do with that but I haven't found much inspiration online so far! I was thinking of white and royal blue for the wedding colours because of the white houses and blue sea (told you I wasn't very good at this!) Does anyone have any more/better suggestions? I was also thinking about having little terracotta pots on the table with bright flowers in to use as centre pieces and favours but the lady doing this for me isn't convinced it will work. Help!!! x

5 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsSSmith, 14 September, 2010 at 12:06
  • debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

what about watching mamma mia and geting ideas from the wedding there! You could use Greek Gods as the table nemes mind you. With the top table being Aphrodite - the greek Godess of love!!! ?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Here you go:

• K
    Beginner December 2011
    king george ·
    • Hide content

You could decide to go all Greek learn some greek dancing have the greek money dance Pin money on your dress rather than presents, greek band, Starters greek dips with pitta or bread, then a nice piece of lamb( Kleftico) dinner greek deserts. My friend got married in Grrece last year and had such a beautiful greek goddess wedding dress will try to send you a picture x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm that has really got me thinking. The Greek glad is also blue and white so thinking you are going down the right lines with the colours. Have you thought about have mini statues of the gods/ goddesses in the middle of the tables? Or you could have an edible table centre with jars of olives and other delicacies for people to eat as their starter. How about getting a Greek pattern (like you see in their tiles) and have that going around the outside of your stationary. You could have olive branches through your flowers. There are apparently quite a few flowers found in Greek mythology (i just googled it) why not have these through your flowers and have small picture frames around describing why, or have tables named after a different flower and have the story written down for those on the table and have props in the table centre that are part of the story. You could hire pillars around your room, or standing either side of your the entrance to your reception room and decorate them with trailing ivy. If i am honest would try to not over do it and perhaps concentrate on the colours and have hints of Greek things/ traditions etc round the room.

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your ideas ladies they're fab! Just wish I had time to put them into use at the moment I'm mad busy at work ☹️ I'll get back to the fun business of wedding planning soon and make use of them- cheers again! x

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

We are having a number of Serbian elements at our wedding, and there is a quite a lot of overlap between the two weddings. So I have to recommend -

Greek music / Greek dancing. Every party when we play Serbian music and get everyone up dancing, absolutely everyone really enjoys it. Traditional Greek dancing is very similar.

Meze for the meal. We are planning a Meze style dinner with about 12 courses.
    Have all the food Greek.

Pick up some of their tradtions, like pinning money to the dress, or in your shoes. Throw your garter, and get the groom to throw his tie. Throw sweets instead of confetti. Literally have the heads of your two families 'break bread' by snapping a specially made loaf.

Serve Ouzo! and Greek beers

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics