Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

milna
Beginner May 2009

Ideas for an 'active' hen weekend? Would you go if invited?

milna, 19 of November of 2008 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 20

I think I want a stag weekend actually ?

I'm thinking surfing in Cornwall - but its quite a long way for me (and lots of friends) which adds to costs. My other concerns are that some people may not want to surf ... and also that it will be the weekend before the wedding and my wetsuit gives me a horrendous rash on my neck ? - I actually still have 'scars' from wearing it for 4 days in August!

The Lake District is just up the road, so I was thinking of finding a nice cottage there, and maybe doing one day mountain biking, and one day of 'go ape' - but I'd imagine there would be even more people less keen on this than the surfing - and for those that don't want to join in the 'activities', Newquay is probably a betetr place to spend a day doing other things than grizedale forrest! I would imagine some people may not come at all if the 'activities' are going to be too full on ...

I also considered a half day/full day learning and playing polo - but again, many wont be up for it, and its also verrrrry expensive.

Any other ideas? Would you go on a hend do with these sorts of activities planned (opting out will be fine, and obviously you wont pay for any activities you don't do ... but alternative entertainment may be a bit limited). For evenings I'd be thinking probably one night out - meal and pubs, and maybe one night in (to keep the cost down) - cook together and open a lot of bottles! Ideally staying in a cottage/apartment somewhere.

?

20 replies

Latest activity by Marcie, 20 of June of 2021 at 21:18
  • CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a spoon and boil my head ?

However, you know your friends. Are these things you think they would enjoy doing for the most part? If they are a fairly active bunch then go for it. You might want to rethink though if the majority would rather sit it out as it wouldn't be very enjoyable for you.

• Kerryblu
    Kerryblu ·
    • Hide content

What she said ?

I'm not a very outdoorsy person though so it wouldn't be up my street. As CountDuckula says though if your friends are the active type then they may love the idea.

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't pay to do that to be honest because it's not my cup of tea but like CD said, if that's what your friends like then go for it.

I personally wouldn't do a weekend away as i wouldn't have the money right now either.

I sound like a right moody cow ?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

What date were you thinking by the way?

• M
    Beginner March 2009
    Mrs Bloom ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too. It sounds hideously boring, tiring and expensive. I'd go if it was a really close friend, but sit out all the activities and be a right mardy cow all weekend ?

But you know your friends, if it sounds like the kind of the the majority would be up for then go for it.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd love it! But then, unlike most girls a spa weekend would be my idea of hell. I had to go on one once and I hated every minute of it.

I'd echo what others have said, and maybe not make it a weekend, just because it does get really expensive.

But it sounds like fun to me!

Ali x

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

My OH is planning on going surfing in cornwall for his stag and some of his friends don't surf, some won't be able to afford it. So he is planning to take his closest friends who will either surf with him or find something else to do during the day. And then he is thinking of having a night out here for everyone else.

• loobyg
    Beginner November 2008
    loobyg ·
    • Hide content

I went to goape for my hen weekend and loved it! Some of my friends aren't as 'outdoorsy' as me - one followed us round with a camera instead and the others just grinned and bared it!! We had a picnic by a nearby river on sat am, then did goape and went to the local village pub in the evening so it was a bit of a compromise for all involved.

• Stupidgirl45
    Beginner July 2009
    Stupidgirl45 ·
    • Hide content

I am a total girly girl so would hate it, but if it was my best friend I would do it - and just sit out a couple of bits. Plus you should try everything once (!!)

Having said that I agree with what the others said - if your mates are into that stuff then do it - if not maybe have a bit of a rethink.

Or....could you do two mini hen dos - do the active thing with a couple of your mates who are really into it and then have a big meal out/evening in with all your friends instead?

HTH

x

• nefertari
    Beginner December 2008
    nefertari ·
    • Hide content

I'd love it but I know that a lot of my mates wouldn't. I was meant to be going ice-skating as part of my hen do but it was cancelled due to lack of interest. The expense would probably be the one thing to put me off in all honesty.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

No to surfing and I can't imagine that would be many peoples cup of tea. YES YES YES to go ape and I have told my cbm that I want to go there. I wouldn't be keen on a day of mountain biking then go ape because mountain biking is a form of hell for me (I'd rather run than cycle but not on a hen night). Staying in a cottage for a couple of nights could be very expensive and tbh I doubt I'd pay for that. I wouldn't mind paying for one night away but that is all. Polo sounds very boring so no I wouldn't do that.

Like others have said it all depends on what your friends like but ultimately your hen do is for you but if you choose activites others don't like then don't be surprised if they say no to coming.

Ehhhhhh Spring no little trip up here for Go Ape then? ? I may need to reconsider then.

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

It'd be a no from me too I'm afraid. I'm a big scaredy pants and don't like adventurous thigns like that. My friend is actually supposed to be having a goape day next week for her birthday and I've said I won't go. Feel a bit crap about it, but saw a video on youtube and just thought 'no way!'. Like everyone else has said though, depends on your friends x

• Fordate
    Beginner August 2010
    Fordate ·
    • Hide content

Well I think you should choose to do what you want to do, invite a few close friends that really matter to you.

I plan to invite mine to a Crime scene investigation day then to a local bar.

Its my interest and also is something that i think that most wouldn't choose to do as a day out which makes it something different. I figured that if people wanted to celebrate my up and coming day then they would join me in what i have chosen to do as it is something i am interested in! I dont know if this makes me sound selfish but echoing others it is your build up to your big day, if your into the outdoors then enjoy it and encorage others to join you.

Good luck

Simonne xx

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

Ooooooh I don't know!

I think about half my friends would love it, and half would hate it! I agree that Go-ape is probably more doable - as it only takes a relatively short time, and non participants can at least enjoy watching!

I am also thinking it makes sense to do something 'in the middle' of the country, as I have many friends down South (where I grew up), many up north (where I have lived for the last 7 years), and others spread throughout the country and Scotland! Cornwall would be a very long way for a weekend for my very good friend in Edinburgh ... Yet Edinburgh would be a very long wasy for my many friends in Oxfordshire and my friend in Newquay! I am kind of planning to make it a weekend rather than a night, due to the distance people have to travel - but agree it needs to not be too expensive as well!

• L
    Beginner May 2009
    Lea8 ·
    • Hide content

I went to Go Ape for a friend Hen do. I would love to have done it but unfortately had broken my ankle at the time so i just hobbled round and watched- It was great fun- I suppose if you were watching tho you would have to have the weather or stand under a large brolly!!

We then spend the night in chester- (went to go ape in delamere forest)and went out in facy dress army costumes. There were 22 of us and stayed in a hostel for a cheap night-

Had a really good time!

• gemmaw
    Beginner February 2009
    gemmaw ·
    • Hide content

Yep, I would go but then I do love outdoorsy stuff - I am not planning my hen do and think it will probably be more like a spa (I am a very girly girl who also loves the outdoors!) I was orignally thinking of having a weekend doing skiing or something - as I love it! but its out of my hands now-

As far as the money goes for my hen do all of my 'hens' are chipping in for me to do whatever it is we are doing! and we are going for a weekend away somewhere (going Friday coming back Monday) in January so I think if it is something that people like then they will pay the money without a second thought - as long as there is enough time to let people know and save up!

HTH.

Gem

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

What others have said - i would personally hate it, but you know what your friends are like. i want to do private kareoke, but i know my friends would hate it, and i'd be the only one doing it (which is no fun at all) so i might have to have a rethink....

i do think you need to think carefully about your friends, their circumstances, and how much they would be able to afford for your hen weekend (especially as most will have to travel), especially when you consider that 8 weeks later you will be asking them to travel to your wedding....

• T
    Beginner February 2024 New York
    Tony ·
    • Hide content

I think this is a good idea and it is worth implementing it, surfing is a good sport and I can recommend it to everyone, it strengthens the body and makes the spirit stronger.

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    Personally I wouldn't find that fun... But I'm wanting one night for a piss up and a strip club for my hen so it's a totally different ball game 🤣 xx
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    It wouldn’t be for me, I have been on a active hen do before and I didn’t attend that part of it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics