Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ValerieF
Beginner October 2013

Ideas for wedding reception activities?!

ValerieF, 8 of May of 2013 at 13:46 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi there!

My man and I have been searching everywhere for fun and unique ideas for our wedding reception. Both our families are kind of crazy (in a good way) and we want them to celebrate with us by having fun during the reception, and even taking something home to remember how special our day was Smiley smile So far we are considering having a photo booth with quirky decorations of course or having a professional caricature artist come to draw our guests during the reception......I love both ideas, but I've seen them done before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to spice up the reception? what are you gals doing? inspiration much appreciated Smiley smile

X

11 replies

Latest activity by Newmoongirl, 13 of May of 2013 at 21:34
  • Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! ?

We're having a pirate pinata (OH says no, I say yo-ho-ho...I've already bought it! ?), a photo cut-out board (which I still have to make! ?), a knobbly knees contest and a confetti cannon battle.

Not really anything that they can take away as a memento though. What about making something? Setting up a craft table? Get a badge machine so people can make badges to take away? Ask them to make play-doh models of the bride and groom and decorate a paper mache 'cake'? A treasure hunt in the grounds of wherever you're having the reception? I've also seen people set up 'tasting tables' where they can taste interesting / unusual beers, ciders or spirits? Some folks have polaroid cameras with sticky labels and sharpie markers so people can create a photoboard with 'customised' pics. Graffiti wall?

Does your wedding have a theme? This can sometimes direct you towards particular activities.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

(Just to say, I know that the idea of the above sounds like some people's idea of hell...but you know your family / friends better than anyone, so you know what kinda things they'd like and what would work for them. All I would say is that there is nothing worse than 'enforced' fun, so make participation purely voluntary to avoid embarrassing anyone!)

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You just made me laugh out loud!

Why are Pirate Pinatas great? They just Aaaarrrr! ?

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

I've recently done a blog post about some alternative entertainment options for your reception with ideas of cost for each, see below:

Alternative Wedding Entertainment Ideas

Hope this helps!

James

• ValerieF
    Beginner October 2013
    ValerieF ·
    • Hide content

Skeptical78: I love that you got the pinata, good for you for going with it ? I've never see a graffiti wall done at a reception, that's a great idea! And the polaroid camera's perfect with my theme and they can take the pictures home......thank you for the ideas!

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

Geese herding crazy enough?

How about fire dancing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDXTLTZ_clg

• L
    Beginner June 2013
    laura02010 ·
    • Hide content

We're hiring an inflatable Gladiator Duel - https://www.bristolfunforhire.co.uk/Inflatable Games/Gladiator Duel I debated quite a lot over it (especially as the women will be wearing summer dresses) but we thought sod it, it looks fun and after a few drinks I'm sure people will fancy a go!

We're also hoping to have giant garden games - hope the weather's nice or we'll have nothing to do!!!!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here he is!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Me and the OH worried about a gap in the day - after our meal to the evening starting (we are doing speeches before the meal).. We've come up with an idea that is very 'us' and will be having a pub quiz with prizes while everyone is at the tables.... Our guests know us well so will understand why we've chosen it (h2b has been a pub manager for 7 years) and it feels quirky and fun.

Who doesnt like a pub quiz!?!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

My daughter had an Alice in Wonderland theme so they had flamingo croquet, large jenga and 4 in a row, a bubble machine as you entered the reception marquee, colouring and jigsaws etc for the children, masks of the Alice characters to put on to take photos of, little party bags for the children and those glow sticks for the evening!!

Hope that helps,

LYnne

• N
    Beginner May 2014
    Newmoongirl ·
    • Hide content

Love the pirate pinata! and the graffitti wall if I had room I would deffo do a graffitti wall!

I saw a game, happy couple sit back to back on chairs with a bride shoe in left hand and groom shoe in right. They get asked 'Mr and Mrs' type questions and they have to raise the shoe corresponding to answer, it was funny : )

• N
    Beginner May 2014
    Newmoongirl ·
    • Hide content

Would love someone to pass these ideas to facebook.com/TheHelpfulWeddingGuide

: )

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics