Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner April 2013

Ideas to integrate faux ceremony component into wedding?

mgower, 6 of November of 2013 at 21:21 Posted on Planning 0 7

My fiance and I are English but live in Canada. While we wish to get married in the UK, the restrictions on non-residents make it near-impossible. As a result, we are planning to do the ceremony here in Canada with just the two of us and travel back to the UK to have a reception with family and friends at a village hall we've hired. We'd really love to incorporate some sort of ceremony component into the reception, so we get the chance to say our vows in front of our loved ones. Only thing is, we're not sure how to do it. It seems a bit strange to try to do a full ceremony, given that it won't be official. Also, the venue we have hired doesn't offer the space to hold both a ceremony and the sit down dinner, without completely re-organizing all of the furniture. The wedding will be in April, so we couldn't really ask people to wait outside while that's taken care of.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to incorporate an exchange of vows into the reception?

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions!

7 replies

Latest activity by mgower, 12 of November of 2013 at 22:15
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to hitched ?

Have you considered having a humanist ceremony in the UK?

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

You could have a blessing of the marriage in church? This can be anything from something very simple all the way up to having a choir, organ, readings etc etc !

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

My sister did the legal part in a registry office (dressed in jeans and a t-shirt), then went on to have a humanist ceremony led by one of her friends in another venue.

The second ceremony was treated as more important than the registry office part even though that was the legal part. So there's no reason why you can't treat your second ceremony as being as important as your first.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

If space is an issue and you really are not able to hold another ceremony/blessing elsewhere, have you considered having your vows and ceremony in Canada filmed?

You could then show the film before/after your meal or speeches if you're having them at your village hall venue?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

No better advice than the others have given but hello & welcome to hitched Smiley smile

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

I was going to reply with the humanist idea (we also went in our jeans to the registry office beforehand) but it seems to be covered above, along with a few other very brilliant ideas so I just thought I'd say hello and welcome to the forum! Keep us posted with your plans Smiley smile

• lionel taplin
    lionel taplin ·
    • Hide content

Hiya and welcome to hitched! We recently got married this year, April also, and had 3 ceremonies! Yep 3, official one at the reg office, a blessing ceremony at the reception venue, and finally a blessing in Malaysia(part of the honeymoon) as that's where I am from. As the reg office was restricted to time and space we thought of having a second more relaxed ceremony that we could have our own way at the reception venue- Brother in law officiated as mock minister, had readings, poems, mini speeches and read our vows to each other. We held it in outside space of the reception venue and really lucked out on weather.Dependant on weather you could see about holding it outdoors either at your venue if you have space or even area of greenery nearby.

• M
    Beginner April 2013
    mgower ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks to everyone for your great suggestions! I think we'll hire a marquee for just outside the venue and reenact the whole ceremony there Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics