Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MadamRed
Beginner April 2017

If money was no object

MadamRed, 27 of May of 2014 at 14:39 Posted on Planning 0 24

OH and I were having a chat about how we'd love to win the lottery so we didn't have to worry about money for the Big Day, and I realised that, actually, if money was no object there's very little about our plans that I'd change. I wouldn't worry about the cost of the BM's dresses; I'd go to bridal boutiques instead of outlets (don't get me wrong - there are gorgeous dresses in the outlets - but I do kind of feel that it won't be the same as a private appointment at a boutique); and I wouldn't worry about the cost of the photographer. But I wouldn't change the venue or number of guests (although I'd probably give them a free bar and more choice of food), and I wouldn't add anything extra that we aren't already having. Probably the biggest thing I'd change is the honeymoon, to make it a tour of Japan, China and Vietnam.

It got me wondering - if money was no object, what would you change about your plans?

24 replies

Latest activity by MrsBurton2015, 28 of May of 2014 at 10:09
  • I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Honestly I don't think I would change much at all. Maybe arrive in style? We're having our ceremony and reception at the same place so have cut fancy cars completely, I imagine we'll either walk from the hotel or get a lift from my dad in his transit van!

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

This is interesting actually, I'm like you, thinking about it I don't think id change much at all. I think I would add the free bar, and pay for my bm's makeup to be done but a while ago I posted about venue envy and that although I adore all the pictures I see on here and het sad, when it actually comes to it I wouldn't change the venue either! As we feel at home there and it's "nice enough" if that makes sense?

just goes to show how clever we all are at getting what we want within our differing budgets and that actually, a lot of the "extra stuff" is just us getting caught up in clever sales and marketing pitches and we are just as happy without it all!! :-)

xx

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Likewise, I wouldn't change anything about our arrangements at all.. we've pretty much got everything that we wanted. I might get the BM dresses made to measure - but they wouldn't be much difference to what we've bought. It would be a fully paid bar with lashings of champagne and we would take the hotel outright for all our guests to stay with us there. But other than that wouldn't change a thing lol. x

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I would change pretty much everything. ?

I would wear a Temperley London gown and hire the whole of Babington House for a weekend long house party style do. Or I would fly everyone to Ibiza and get married in the hills overlooking the sea followed by a MAHOOOOOOOOOSIVE party at our stunning finca.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Mine would completely change, we'd have eloped to Vegas as per our original plan, I'd have had a dress custom made, and a long honeymoon travelling around the States afterwards. Not that I'm unhappy with what we're doing now, but it isn't what I'd originally envisaged!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

As someone has already said, we might just pay for everything, accommodation, drinks etc etc as we've become more and more attached to the venue and the plans as time has gone on.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change anything, I would still be a bargain hunting tightwad even with millions in the bank! Of course if I had enough money to bribe the Manics to play live at the reception I could be persuaded!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change the location. I would hire more Yurts, have an outdoor stage for the reception instead (and hire a few bands), and hire posh camping bell tents (I guess create a mini-festival) for close family & friends, with loads of food and a free bar. My guest list would also expand.... haha!

I would pay for my BM's to have a custom made dress, pay for a hen do abroad for all my girls.

Our rings would also be custom made and top quality :p

And I would hire a wedding planner....

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I would have an open bar all day and night, and let people have whatever drinks they wanted - cocktails especially would be encouraged.

I'd also pay for everyone's transport to and from the venue.

And buy my bridesmaids nicer dresses and shoes.

And probably go for lots of facials, massages, pedicures, manicures etc before the wedding, And take the bridesmaids and mummies with me.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Better tog - ours was good but cheap and we could have got better if we'd had a bigger budget.

Free bar and menu choices.

Honeymoon in each of the places we wanted.

Made to measure BM dresses

Other than that I think it would have been pretty much the same.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Basically we've got exactly what we want, but the extras that I would include are:

canapes - I may still wangle this one, but so far it is a "want" not a "need".

free bar - someone else mentioned cocktails.....this this this this this!!!!!

To pay for accommodation for everyone at the venue so no one had to worry about getting home, and we could all have breakfast together in the morning.

I think I would use any extra money to just make sure that no one had to worry about whether they could afford to come - pay travel costs for those that live afar, etc. I don't think this actually applies to any of my guests (although I have some coming from Norway), but in case it did, I would want to get them there, come hell or high water!

But I love my dress, my venue, we've got a fab band booked, and we have amazing friends that money just can't buy. Sorted!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

We are still looking and havnt really booked anything yet so everything is still perfect so far lol

but the main changes I would make if I had endless money would be:

bands - bigger and better, we love music its a huge thing in our lives so to hire 4 or 5 our our favorite bands would be amazing (like bon jovi)

honeymoon - we would take months away if we could and really tour america with a tricked out truck and some harleys

I wouldnt really change anything else but not having to worry about money would be nice instead of thinking can I find that cheaper else wear

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'd have a new dress instead of my preloved one.

I'd have a sit down meal.

I'd have live music and a dj.

I'd have my wedding on a saturday and change my reception venue.

I'd have a videographer.

I'd have my hair done professionally.

I'd hire the services of a dietician, a chef and a personal trainer, get slim and then have some plastic surgery to tighten up the saggy bits!!

We'd have a honeymoon!!

Don't get me wrong, I love my wedding and it will be perfect for our budget and situation, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't change anything.

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    SunnyOrangeConfetti79 ·
    • Hide content

If I had a heap of money I'd have started off down a completely different road and had the whole thing at some stately home rather than the reception office followed by a pub hall. But now were nearly there, I'm really looking forward to the informality of it and all the handmade touches. If I had a windfall now I'd use it for a free bar for sure, and a fantastic honeymoon Smiley smile (although OH has already ruled out any hotel where he has to wear a tie and proper shoes for dinner!)

• emabee
    Beginner August 2014
    emabee ·
    • Hide content

The only thing I'd change is a free bar and I'd pay for everyone's hotel rooms!

• A
    alexweddingphotography ·
    • Hide content

Do you know what i would change.................sorry not change....................that was wrong..................if i had the money i would rent an private island and a plane and took everyone on that island and keep the party the whole week.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Good thread! I might have a different venue as the one I loved was so expensive we didn't even go to look!

I'd also have a videographer, custom made BM dresses, free bar, more food choices and maybe get a florist to do our flowers instead of doing them myself. Also we'd proabably have gone for more lush chair sashes and venue decor.

Having said all that I think our day is going to be perfect as it is!

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

We would change the ceremony venue from the registry office to this fabulous Tudor. H2B would have a replica A-Team van as his transport (they wanted about £800), I would have a classic Bentley, mum and BMs would have a vintage bus and a old red double decker for the other guests for convenience.

I have brought mine and BM dresses online but would love to have gone to a boutique for all our outfits, including my mums.Or had mine made, but exactly the same as i have ordered. H2B would also go for a bespoke suit.

I would keep the reception venue the same but have a fancy marquee with wooden flooring, tables and chairs and heating for the older guest to escape the disco and for the kids to go crazy in.

Photo booth is probably the first thing I would get though!!! We would also go for a free bar. And an amazing honeymoon to Hawaii for a couple of weeks and then on safari.

Or we would pay for all the immediate family to travel to New Zealand and get married there so H2Bs mum and sister can share our day with a huge reception back in the UK at a later date.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

If money was no object we would probably pay for all our guests flights & stay since we're getting married abroad.

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think like SunnyOrangeConfetti we may have started out differently if we'd had more money, but it's evolved into just what we want really. Hopefully it will be a nice and relaxed day. I love our venue, our honeymoon is just what we wanted (although I would always add a few extra weeks if we'd had more money!), the guest list is exactly who we wanted and I'm still in love with my dress. If money was no object then as others have said, a free bar and us paying for accommodation would have been a given, more reception drinks per person and probably a few more flowers as well.

• Suzie88
    Beginner August 2014
    Suzie88 ·
    • Hide content

Money isn't the factor that affected our plans - don't get me wrong, we don't have a lot of money - but we are very happy with our plans. Our main 'issue' (and that is not at all the right word) was the realisation that the health of my Grandad meant he could not travel. We always planned our wedding in Thailand, every one of our family and friends were shocked when we said we were getting married in England, as in Thailand we have the venue, and the transport, and basically everything, but my Grandad has has 6 strokes in the past 2 years, so can't fly, so he couldn't come. I'm his only grandchild that is likely to get married before he passes away, so I want him to see our wedding, but more importantly, I want him there.

So, as much as money would be fantastic, unless I can buy Grandad his health, I wouldn't change a thing about my wedding.

Honeymoon on the other hand…. We have always said that we were born to travel. We would take off and never come back if we had the money…. There is so much world to see and hear and feel and experience, and essentially, live.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content

I would go with the venue that we are probably not going with because of it's cost. I'd also pay for everyone's transport, free bar and accommodation overnight. I'm struggling to find dresses I like so maybe if my budget was endless it would be easier to find one! Oh, and we'd definitely upgrade the honeymoon too.

We aren't exactly having a super tight budget but there are definitely things we aren't doing because of costs, that I would love to change.

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Good thread!

I wouldn't change much about our wedding to be honest. We have the venue of our dreams!

The only thing I would do is get married on a saturday instead of a thursday, and I'd have a live band playing during the meal rather than an ipod playing in the background.

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsBurton2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm if money was no object I would,

Pay for all our guests rooms at our hotel and have a free bar Smiley smileI wouldnt change my venue as we love it Smiley smile

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics