Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2011

if the dress is ivory should the shirts be too????

amythest76, 23 of September of 2010 at 12:33 Posted on Planning 1 15

I was told if my dress is ivory and oh wears a white shirt (i have no idea if he is!) then my dress will look grubby.....is this true? should i give him the heads up and tell him to get an ivory shirt?? or will it not make that much difference?

x

15 replies

Latest activity by Jerry, 19 of February of 2021 at 19:21
  • Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Yes for sure - make sure everything is either Ivory or white - shirts, shoes, table clothes, undies, even the Cake's icing..

I am an "ice white" bride and so I am having to make sure all these things happen. I have told oH the reason is because the table linen at the venue is white... A little white lie maybe, but he thinks Im wearing red and so i'm not correcting him.!

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

My dress is ivory, i guess it makes sense he does match but then the marquee is white, the table linen, everything else and no doubt most males there will be wearing white shirts!

• MrsKeating2B
    Beginner April 2011
    MrsKeating2B ·
    • Hide content

I cant imagine an ivory dress looking grubby. at the end of the day people will see its ivory and see the shirt is white.. My dress is ivory and OH is wearing white shirt and ivory waistcoat and his waistcoat centrainly does not look grubby Smiley smile x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Well as I said I am wearing white, and I fell in love with some Ivory shoes, I got them, and under my dress they just looked grubby! like they had been left in the sun and faded!

So I returned them - I am assuming therefore that the opposite is true. Guests, Marquee are one thing, but H2B who will spent a lot of time by your side - I think he needs to match IMO.

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Oh thats made me feel better....i had awful visions adding ***DO NOT WEAR WHITE on the invites!!!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Now that would be funny!

I am kinda in the opposite boat to you but the control freak is me has insisted on White crisp shirts! Lol Poor H2B

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Could always have a hawaian shirt theme then it really wouldnt matter!!

(mind you he wont tell me what he is wearing so i really shouldnt joke!)

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, I think there's a big difference between shoes with a dress - which from the sound of it is diamond white? and a shirt with a dress. My dress was ivory, and hubby's shirt white and I don't think my dress looked grubby - hubby was wearing a waistcoat, would your's be?
    I don't know you can get ivory shirts for men can you??

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm same, my dress is ivory and all of our table linen, pillar voiles, swagging. mens shirts are all white. In my honst opinion I don't think at all that it won't go, or that people will notice the difference and comment in it.

As long as the colour scheme all matches generally I can't personally see problem.

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

I agree it wont be a problem and it hadnt even entered me head until someone told me!!!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Never even entered my head!!! but then when i was doing a colour chemisty course as part of my degree and we did colour matching test i my results were thrown out as i skewed the results that drastically lol! I am wearing ivory and groom will be in light grey.... will have to ask his dad as he is buyer for burberry and if anyone knows it should be him????

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's just my perfectionist side coming out..

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Who said that?! What a load of piffle! Yes, if you put ivory shoes next to a brilliant white dress you will see the difference, but how many brides wear ivory and their groom wears white? Nobody will notice unless you point it out. Mind you, thats why wedding dresses are described as 'ivory' and not 'off-white'!

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

#

it was a lady working in a wedding dress shop......!! maybe she had some ivory shirts she was desperate to get rid of!!!

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry about it, but then I hate things matching exactly anyway so perhaps I'm not the best person to listen to!

But the way I see it, you are two separate people, even if you will be spending a lot of time together, so it shouldn't really matter. Your outfit and his outfit should be viewed as separate ensembles rather than two halves of one display, if you see what I mean. Making sure that your shoes match your dress is different to getting his shirt to match it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics