Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2012

im cancelling my wedding dress!!

BlushingBride2012, 24 February, 2011 at 13:14 Posted on Planning 0 22

Me and my partner were on a tight budget anyway but after much deliberation i have decided to cancel my wedding dress. Its £935, but i have only paid £250 off it. And now i am thinking of descaling and looking for one on a budget.

I figure if i spend £250 max i should be ok. Can anyone suggest any good budget websites or ideas on how to find an inexpensive website. I dont want chav cheap lol but i do want something elegant and stunning but on a budget.

I feel so bad having to cancel my dress but my fiance is out of work at moment.

My theme is old vintage/romantic, so going for something lacey and flowing, yet fitted.

Any advice greatly appreciate.

22 replies

Latest activity by septemberbride2011, 25 February, 2011 at 14:52
  • O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness so you lose £250 ? Can't you keep it and sell it after to recoup the difference ?

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Hey, not sure what size you are but I just spotted this http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/second-hand-clothes/677390

ok yes, second hand, but I think it's really beautiful!! Plus all the money you pay goes to charity which is the lovliest part of all ?

Loads more on there too x

• KateyP
    Beginner February 2010
    KateyP ·
    • Hide content

Also have a look on Monsoon's website, some lovely dresses on there.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My first port of call in your circumstance would be the dress shop - if they have already submitted the order for your dress you may be liable for the full amount anyway.

If this isn't the case, i'd explain you want to spend a further £250 and see what they can do - it might be that they have a sample available or can find a dress in your budget.

Failling that, get onto Pre-loved if you don't mind a preloved dress.

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    laura2107 ·
    • Hide content

Debenhams have some lovely ones in their prom section, it looks like a dress you would wear if you were marrying abroad but non the less looks lovely. i think it was £190-ish. It was white full length slim fitting one.

HTH

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    mrs_lewis_2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Plus most of the dresses on there are new - they are donated by dress shops / designers after catwalk shows Smiley smile

Good luck xx

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I think its madness to loose £250 especially in your situation, I would speak to the dress shop first and see if they are prepared to help, they may suggest a payment plan with you, you wont know until you try. Failing that is there anybody in your family that could help you, given the unfortunate circumstances you're in.

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

Monsoon normally have some lovely wedding dresses.

But I would contact the shop and check how much you are liable for.

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BlushingBride2012 ·
    • Hide content

Im not liable for anymore than paid as my dress hasnt been ordered. they dont have any dresses in my price range, all dresses start at £795. And this is including the sample dresses etc as ive already discussed it with them.

My family arent helping us with the cost of our wedding, i have found some great websites so i am looking at reviews of the website with the help of google. x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Gosh it seems like such a shame - I'm sorry you've found yourself in these circumstances but I must say your handling it a lot better than I would.

I would have pushed the wedding shop to see if they could at least supply accessories to the value of £250 instead, or at least something - your veil, bridesmaid / flowergirl dress etc - if they haven't ordered anything then they don't have any costs incurred. Saying that, it's a business and i'm sure they don't have to.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I would recommend getting a second hand dress rather than a cheap replica. It will have only been worn once after all! You will be able to get one for that price I am sure. Remember to allow alteration costs if you buy one the wrong size.

I ordered a vintage one from ebay and am getting it embellished...

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree, I'd at least ask the question.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Check out ebay. There are loads of beautiful sample dresses being sold by bridal stores on there. Even if you don't see the perfect one straight away, it's worth checking every now and again as listings change. There are also lots of second hand dresses. You could get an absolute bargain.

• Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I got married nearly 7 years ago & got my dress from monsoon of all places, I had only gone in to try find some dresses for my bridesmaids, I didnt even know that they did wedding dresses in there (this was 7 years ago & I know they do a wedding range now)

My dress was exactly what I had been looking for & was in the sale at £86.50!!

Maybe worth a look

Debbie

x

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BlushingBride2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hey trickster im a size 10/12

i love maggie sottero geneva and the other styles like that such as Noelle, Barcelona etc. They are the kinda dresses im looking for x

• S
    Beginner August 2011
    sophieb86 ·
    • Hide content

It's a shame about your dress, i agree with the other ladies though, monsoon do some lovely dresses for such a decent price.

and being cheeky, i have a brand new Monsoon Mathilde for sale, as I have previously mentioned on here, I am only selling it as my friend wore pretty much the same one and we have the same guests mostly!!

i too am I size 10/12, if you want photos, I'd be more than happy to send them Smiley smile

either way, good luck! Smiley smile

x

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

I fell in love with a Maggie Sottero dress but simply couldn't afford the £1,300 price tag but managed to find exactly the same dress as a sample dress and ended up getting mine for £265 - its immaculate! If you still want your dress try scouring ebay and the internet, just type in the name of the dress and I'm sure you'll get it alot cheaper and won't feel so sad about losing the £250.

I got my dress off a website called swoon http://www.swoonweddinggowns.co.uk/ could even email the lovely lady who runs it and she could keep a look out for you. I got my dress in a size bigger but would've had to get it altered as I'm really short so wasn't much more to get the sides taken in xx

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Also forgot to mention, have you asked the wedding shop whether they sell sample dresses? They've never been down the aisle and are usually immaculate, I remember when I tried on my dress I had to literally put my hands in front of my face not to get make up on it and you tend to stand on a raised platform rather than walk around, they watch you like hawks so the dresses are very well looked after. Also as someone else suggested, see if you can use the £250 and get your tiara, veil, shoes etc from there.

I've just bought my wedding shoes (brand new in a box) from ebay for £15, they were £65 in the shop. Just because you're on a budget doesn't mean you can't get what you want, just have to be more inventive (and spend lots of time on the net lol!) xx

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BlushingBride2012 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you sooo much september bride!! i called loads of places today, most places selling dress for £1200, i asked a couple about sample dresses, but they didnt actually have it, ive to call one tomorrow to see if she would sell it once she is done with it, i dont need it til next aug. But i will try the website, thanks so much xx

• Gem_pegg2b
    Beginner
    Gem_pegg2b ·
    • Hide content

I would check ebay , i found the one and it was 1500.00 i went on ebay the same day and got it for 250.00..... second hand and its perfect conditon however i still need to get it altered.

Find something you like and keep checking ebay.

Good Luck! x

p.s can you transfer the deposit to maybe BM dresses or another dress . Some shops do that !

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others try and use the deposit for something else in the shop. Or if they will let you, get your money back! Failing that check out Confetti and Lace. They do sample sales etc quite frequently and I got my dress from a sale they had in London so they get around!

Good luck!

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Ah good luck :-) hope you get your dress, ebay, preloved and ex samples should get you your dress of your dreams xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics