Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rhian
Curious September 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire

I’m divorced, will my ex husbands surname be on my new marriage certificate

Rhian, 28 of April of 2022 at 07:09 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

I’ve tried googling, but can’t really find the answer.

I am divorced and getting married in September this year. I’ve never changed my surname back to my maiden name officially, but unofficially, I do call myself by my maiden name. Will me ex husbands name be on my marriage certificate! If so, can I change my name by deed poll in order to officially have my maiden name on the certificate. I’ve not changed my name on bank cards etc because of the paper work involved and once I met my FH, it initially seemed pointless to change them once we’d decided we wanted to get married and then change them again.

However, I don’t like the thought of my ex husbands surname on my new marriage certificate, so wondering what I should do.

Thanks for any help

4 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 3 of May of 2022 at 11:38
  • K
    Dedicated April 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Rhian

I was previously married too and changed my name via deed poll and am able to have my maiden name on my marriage certificate. When I asked Gretna registrars if I needed to show my deed poll they weren’t worried! I massively complicated things too as the maiden name I go by isn’t my birth surname so even with three sets of Id all in different names they were happy!
    The registrars said the rules are slightly different in Scotland re legal recognition of names. They are really helpful so send them an email for clarification x
  • K
    Dedicated April 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry I forgot to add… I’m sure you can use your decree absolute to change your name back to your maiden name rather than paying for deed poll x
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

The name that is used will be your legal name, so you need to make sure it is changed before you give notice of marriage.

• Charlotte
    Dedicated July 2022 Durham
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I'm glad you've actually asked this Rhian. As I'm also in the same situation. I changed everything once that decree Absolute came through. And as I have no passport all I need to show is my mams birth certificate in full, my own, document in maiden name(bank statement) and the decree Absolute.... that's all they asked for. 🙄 so hopefully that covers it all xxx best of luck ❤

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics