Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Curious April 2022 Hampshire

I'm going to try on wedding dresses this weekend! Can i have some advice and tips?

Sarah, 1 of July of 2021 at 12:10 Posted on Planning 1 15

Obviously I have never done this before and I'm quite nervous- it's going to be my biggest purchase so far probably! I'm worried I'm going to find it so hard to make a decision!

Those that have got their dresses... what's the best advice you have? Smiley heart

15 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 4 of July of 2021 at 22:03
  • Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    So one thing I personally found was I got very hot and sticky, even with cooling fans/air con etc getting in and out of the dresses. I’m a curvy girl and was trying on fitted stuff on my hips so sometimes struggled with zips.
    The next time I went I had a slip on and it made it soooooo much easier also better for my self esteem it wasn’t the dresses I was trying didn’t fit I was just sticky! I would say take one with you. If it’s not for you don’t use it but can’t hurt to have it as an option.

The other main thing is enjoy it! Go with an open mind and try on different shapes, styles and all colours and in my experience I didn’t feel pressured to make a decision there and then you can walk away and think about it, it’s a big decision!
    Good luck and have fun x
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Yes I am especially thinking that I will get hot because I will probably have to wear a face mask the whole time. I'll definitely be taking a slip just in case!

• Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Take a hair tie, then you can see how the dress looks with hair up or down.
    Have a open mind, you may have an idea of the dress you want already but try every one that catches your eye. The final dress may be completely different to your ideal dress.
    Don’t be shy. Your going to be stood practically naked whilst someone drags a dress over your head at points 🤣 they’ve seen it all and do not care. Take a bottle of water as wearing the mask and trying in dresses gets you super hot. Wear nude knickers, white shows through certain dresses. If you know what shoes your wearing then take them with you. Try sitting down in the dress, you may be able to stand in it but can you sit down.
    If you find a dress you like but still unsure ask yourself… “what would you do if you left now without buying the dress. Then came back to buy it and it had gone. How would you feel?” If your gutted and crying then that’s potentially your dress. I went and had a coffee after trying them on and then went back to make my decision.
    Also take lots of photos of different angles. Then you can compare each dress that you narrow it down to etc.
    Most of all have fun 🥰🥰 such an exciting and fun day
  • H
    Savvy
    HappyBrownCars12359 ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh second all of this with trying lots of different shapes and styles, and being open to wildcard options!

I styled my hair sort of how I might have it on the day which I found really helpful and most of all if you feel pressured don't give in to it. I was heavily pressured at one boutique as I was alone and it was a sale dress, it had the opposite effect and made me walk away!

If they allow as well, try to get lots of pictures, and if they say no to photos but you're with someone, get them on standby to take sneaky photos! I found this SO helpful when looking back.

Also, not everyone (including myself!) said they had an instant moment of putting the dress on and knowing it was THE ONE, so don't pressure yourself if you don't have that magic moment all the tv shows make out you do!

Enjoy!

• Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Just a warning some shops will not let you take pictures of the dresses.

Personally I think that’s really harsh and makes it hard to review the dress and make an informed decision! (The shop I went to that had this rule I didn’t buy from!)

Hopefully you will be fine but just don’t want it to come as a surprise
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so weird about not being able to take pictures!! Yeah hopefully I'll be able to!

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's such good advice about asking yourself how you would feel if the dress had gone! I will definitely do that if I am struggling. Yeah I'm hoping that having to wear a face mask won't be too annoying- bringing a water bottle is a good idea haha

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ugh yeah I would hate to feel pressured into buying a dress. I think I have an idea of an A-line dress, something classy and romantic and elegant. But I do want to try a few fitted options just to see!

• Mrsa2021
    Dedicated June 2021 Cornwall
    Mrsa2021 ·
    • Hide content
    Very exciting, have a fab time!
    Be open to ideas and try on as many as you can.
    I wasn’t allowed to take pictures until I had chosen my dress but I knew as soon as I saw it that it would be the one anyway. Agree with all of the other advise given also
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    Wear skin coloured underwear! 😄
    All of the above, be open, try styles you think you wouldn’t like, ask yourself if it’s easy to move in, will you be comfortable or having to adjust yourself/self conscious. Personally I wanted a dress I would put on and forget I was wearing, so feel was very important to me. Think about your venue, how much space it has (big dresses not ideal for small venues!). Ask yourself how easy it’ll be to pee in, and whether you’ll need help for that, and what help will be on hand (and whether you can be bothered if you need assistance every time!). Walk around in it, try dancing. Think about how easy it will be to put on and how easy you need it to be. Have fun! ☺️
  • Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    Be open minded to suggestions. I tried on all my picks, one i even really liked but I tried on one suggested for me based on my style and the assistants experience and I fell in love and knew it was my dress.

Also try on some accessories to really feel like bride. Happy hunting

• L
    Curious March 2022 Central & Glasgow
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    Definitely be open minded. I tried on my whole shortlist and didn't like any of them. I ended up buying a dress the stylist suggested for me. Worth keeping in mind that they can sometimes make alterations - my dress comes with spaghetti straps as standard but the shop is ordering extra material to make thicker straps. I was allowed to take my mask off when stood on the podium to let me see it properly which helped. Don't be rushed. I tried on a couple of dresses more than once to be sure. The right dress is definitely a feeling. I was torn between two - one was very fairytale bride, the other a bit safer but I felt so relaxed and it was definitely more "me". Stylist asked me how I wanted to feel on the day and the answer was me so decision made. Enjoy your day 😊
  • M
    Perthshire
    Mrs M ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure where you live but if in the South then try “Brides by Aster” in Dorking I can guarantee a fabulous time and Hannah is amazing! No pressure at all and she knows what will suit and what won’t. Always be flexible about what you think will suit. The one my daughter eventually chose looked nothing on the hanger until she put it on then …. Wow! As a previous reply says enjoy the time and take your time. It’s a lot of money to spend ( or mum’s money ) and photos really help. Take someone you really trust who will be honest with you as well Smiley smile
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much for all the advice everyone! I went yesterday and found my dress!! It’s completely what I want- I did try a few wildcards and for a bit I thought I was going to go for a wildcard, but after considering the vibe of the wedding, I knew I had to go with what I wanted originally. I took a hair tie and a slip and took lots of photos in the dress (we were allowed luckily) and I tried on a few veils. Thanks so much again everyone!
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awhhh yay ❤️❤️❤️ This is so exciting. Congratulations.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics