Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

katgreene
Beginner December 2012

Im GONNA BE A FAAAAAT BRIDE!!!!!!!!!! (Dress alterations!)

katgreene, 30 August, 2012 at 20:02 Posted on Planning 0 14

I bought my dress 2nd hand back in March and felt I could do with losing half a stone for my Xmas wedding. I have since given up smoking and put on a stone. I have tried to lose weight since May with no sucess Will power not great but have really tried I will lose 4 pound then put 2 on week later etc Just wondering can you have dresses made bigger without ruining them!

14 replies

Latest activity by mickeyandminnie, 2 September, 2012 at 14:51
  • R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi it depends on your dress, if your interest (this may may sound like a fad diet, in fact it probably is) but I have been doing this thing that was on horizon a few weeks back, basically you fast for 2 days in a row with having the max of 500 calories and then you pretty much eat what you want for the rest of the week, I have so far lost almost half a stone in 3 weeks, it is really hard and i bascally spend the two days living on a large pack of fruit (the kind you get from tesco) and a weight watchers meal with veg and tea and water, im sure long term it will do me no good but since my wedding is 2 months away I am past caring about long term and looking at now!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Slimming World? If you're serious about losing weight it really does work. No fads, just healthy eating but made easy.

To answer your question - it depends on your dress as to whether it can be let out. Most can but with it being second hand it may have already been altered before.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There a far easier and healthier ways to lose 2lb a week. This would be a fairly reasonable loss to expect on most healthy eating programmes such as Slimming World etc.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

OK. tough love! Depending on how overweight you are (if at all), you should be able to lose 2lb a week, You have 4 months. Say, 16 weeks minimum. So, 32lb. Even if you go for 1.5lb per week, that's 24lb, so well over 1.5 stone. If you want to do it, you will. And easily. If you don't do it, you don't want it enough.

I realised in about May/June that I wasn't as slim as I wanted to be. I then lost 7lb in 6 weeks by following a strict diet and running a lot (I used the Myfitnesspal app/website). Yes, it was hard. No, I couldn't eat what I want without huge amounts of exercise to offset the calories. But I lost the weight and my dress fitted in the end.

• K
    Beginner September 2012
    KimB1980 ·
    • Hide content

I lose nearly 3 stone on strict 1000 calories a day (nhs version of ww) and exercised lots - went from bmi of 29 to 23 to get IVF treatment.

You do need the motivation to lose weight though - my sister is over 18stone and not happy about it but hasn't done anything to lose it. She can however sew! She's altered a couple of wedding dresses for friends that have got pregnant. One was a simple letting out the excess and covering the alterations, the other was originally a Grecian style which she undid the back seam, added a v panel and hand sewed ribbon hooks and laced. Take your dress to a seamstress and see what they can suggest.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Can we have some more info on this diet??

• Ampy
    Beginner October 2013
    Ampy ·
    • Hide content

Hi katgreene

Congratulations on your forthcoming nuptuals.

As the others have said, as the dress is second hand it may have already been altered - take it into a seamstress and they will give you their honest opinion. Make sure you ask them exactly how the dress will look - a friend of mine lost loads of weight in the last couple of month before her wedding, they altered the dress but the sweetheart shaping at the front was off centre and it looked awful. She ended up having a blazing row with them and eventually they agreed to replace the dress for her. You can't afford to be too careful.

As for the weight loss - there are faddy diets out there that can get you through it. Long term they aren't ideal...

I joined a gym last year and gave up all naughty food and drink (my weekend treat was a vodka and slimline tonic - or maybe two). I will be honest, for the first 6 weeks I didn't see an ounce of change which was pretty devastating, but then after that I started to lose a couple of pounds a week. Your metabolism can take a while to adjust to your new lifestyle. When you crash diet your body lives on its fat reserves which is why you don't always see an instant weight loss.

I was also pretty miffed that a girl at work can lose three our four pounds a week by just eating more healthily. She lost about 15 pounds in four weeks when I had lost nothing (slightly bitter - I was getting up at 5am to go to the gym whereas she did not exercise). Everyone is different and you need to figure out what works for you.

Sadly you need to stick with it all the time - if you give in to temptation and eat chips it sets your metabolism back and it takes a few days to get back on track. Your body absorbs any fat it can and keeps it for "starvation mode" which is basically what calorie controlled diets are.

What about putting up "fat pictures" on the fridge - we've all been there, when somehow there is a photo of you from a bad angle that makes you look like you've eaten another person.

My OH gave up smoking and he is constantly grazing now. He wasn't even aware he was doing it - his waistline has expanded because of this but he seems to have ease off on late night nibbles now lol.

Congratulations on giving up smoking by the way - that in itself is a massive achievement x

Ooh I'm wittering on now so I will go x

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

If your dress has a zip back the easiest way to let it out is it have a corset back put in. This will give a significant amount of extra room, especially round the bust area.

If the dress is a delicate fabric however, chiffon or organza for example, although it can probably bet let out at least one dress size there is a danger that the needle holes will show, especially if you have tried it on and done it up when it has been tight as they may have pulled.

Take it to a seamstress that comes recomended by someone you know, its amazing what a good job they can do.

Good luck

x

• Puddycat
    Beginner December 2012
    Puddycat ·
    • Hide content

CONGRATULATIONS ON QUITTING SMOKING. I just wanted to shout that from the rafters.

I am in the same boat. I quit smoking 12 months & 1 week ago. I bought a fab pair of shoes to celebrate but I like you have put on a stone ☹️

I have my first dress fitting at the end of the month and I am also getting married in Dec! Like others have said yes thank god they can be let out. Mine is presently a zip back which is going to be changed to being laced up. I do also know what you are saying about loose some gain some! I have been using MyFitnessPal which is brilliant, I have been running & I have joined the gym and I still am not shifting any weight. However, I am much much fitter, I can breath when running & walking up big hills. All I can hope for is that the weight starts to fall off soon! I eat on average 1200 calories a day. It WILL come off. We can do it ?

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - I don't know if you've heard of it but I've been following primal blueprint. Search marks daily apple. Its basically no carbs, med protein and high fat. You need to read to book to understand the science but I honestly don't feel like i'm on a diet. i have red wine, dark chocolate and still lose weight. My friend has lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks and i've lost 4 lbs in 2 so far. It might be some sort of consideration. If you want me to let you know what sort of things i eat just email me Smiley smile ***********@*******.**.** - good luck xxx

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    K8_2408 ·
    • Hide content

3words - Exercise. Exercise. Exercise.

You will struggle with just being on a diet alone. Adding exercise will add a big boost to your weight loss.

Exercise will:

- burn more calories meaning that you don't have to life off cabbage soup in the lead up to your wedding. Add exercise to more sensible choices & that will be better then any fad diet.

- give you more energy!

- suppress your appetite.

- increase your metabolism. Esp in the hour which follows the exercise you've just done.

- tone your body up.

- give you more confidence.

To those who argue that they don't have time to exercise, if you can't find 30 mins for your health, then what can you find 30 mins for?!

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

I agree exercise is key too! Try 30 Day shred if you can only fit 30 mins in a day - its a killer but will tone you in places you never know you had! Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics