Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Figs
Beginner June 2012

******I'm MARRIED and back with my report!******FLASHES p4******

Figs, 2 of July of 2012 at 00:40

Posted on Planning 73

I'm MARRIED! It was such a fantastic day. Honestly the best day of my life. Get ready for a lonnng report - I'm in the process of trying to write everything down before I forget it. Our wedding was just over a week ago and already it's one great big happy blur. When a wise OM tells you that your day...

I'm MARRIED!

It was such a fantastic day. Honestly the best day of my life.

Get ready for a lonnng report - I'm in the process of trying to write everything down before I forget it. Our wedding was just over a week ago and already it's one great big happy blur. When a wise OM tells you that your day will fly make sure you listen and enjoy and savour every second as it's all over so quickly.

So, are you sitting comfortably? I'll begin right at the beginning...

How we met:

January 2007. We were both volunteering as Special Constables. Mr J had been volunteering for a few years, but it was one of my first times on duty. I walked into the office where Mr J was and he became so flustered that he started dropping things on the floor. We got on all night, and at the end of the duty in the middle of the custody suite he asked for my email address...but with no paper/phone to hand he had to memorise it...and I assumed that by the morning he would have forgotten it. I was wrong! First thing Monday morning I had an email from him and we’ve been inseparable ever since. It was months later before Mr J admitted that he inadvertently emailed a lot of other people before he managed to get my email right!

Our relationship was cemented with a last minute holiday to Barbados in May 2007. We got on the plane ‘going out’ and came back well and truly in love.

The Proposal:

I love Disney films, so for my birthday Mr J whisked me to Florida in December 2007. Watching the amazing fireworks explode over the Magic Kingdom castle, I turned to say something to Mr J...only he wasn’t there! Looking down there he was on one knee, asking me to marry him in the middle of Disney Land! I said yes immediately and we watched the rest of the fireworks as an engaged couple.

When we got back to the UK Mr J and I visited Hatton Garden in North London, where he bought me the most beautiful 1ct solitaire platinum engagement ring.

Planning the Wedding:

As we’d only been going out for a year before getting engaged, we weren’t in any rush to set a date for a wedding. Every so often we would start to discuss it, but then life would get in the way and the subject of the wedding would be put to one side.

Over the years we discussed lots of different options, from a wedding in the countryside, to a simple registry office wedding, to even a wedding in Disney Land (it seemed like a romantic idea until we found photos of Disney ‘cast members’ dressed as Mickey and Minnie and acting as witnesses at one couple’s of wedding!). The one idea that we kept coming back to was an intimate wedding in Barbados, the island where we fell in love, and in September 2011 we set the wedding for June 2012 in Barbados.

As we wouldn’t be having a traditional wedding with a wedding breakfast followed by an evening do we decided instead to make the wedding a two day affair, with the wedding taking place on the Friday and then a private chartered boat on the Saturday to take us all on a snorkelling trip with turtles (Mr J and I did a similar trip on our first visit to Barbados and it was amazing, so we knew we wanted to share the experience with our guests as part of the wedding).

Jean from Island Bliss was our brilliant wedding planner based in Barbados. Invitations were sent out and we were thrilled to receive acceptances from 6 people – just the right amount for our intimate wedding abroad.

Originally we intended to get married on the beach, followed by a meal at the Lone Star restaurant. However, as plans started to progress we realised that we didn’t actually much like that idea – no privacy on the beach, just a small area of the restaurant as ‘ours’, an early finish time and very expensive drink prices/corkage fees. So, four months before the wedding, we changed everything. We decided to book three villas set in their own acre of private garden. There was plenty of space in the villas for our guests and we could hold a very private wedding ceremony in the beautiful tropical garden. We planned to have a BBQ in the garden afterwards with a catering company doing all of the work...

The Dress:

As soon as we had set the date I went dress shopping. My mum and I went to just one shop and the very first dress that I tried on was ‘the one’ – Ireland by Maggie Sottero. I tried on a couple more dresses just to be sure, but the first dress was definitely the right one for me (it made my mum cry). My generous parents paid for the dress and the order was made. I was border-line between two sizes and on the spur of the moment opted for the smaller size...then spent the next few months and all of Christmas worrying about putting on even an ounce of weight! When the dress finally arrived it was a perfect fit and only needed taking up slightly at the bottom. All that worrying for nothing!

The Theme:

The theme for our wedding was based around Cymbidium Orchids – white and hot pink with an accent of silver to tone everything down and to match the men’s dark grey suits.

We had bright pink shoes for the Bride, maid of honour and bridesmaid. My dress was white with silver embellishments, my 10-year-old bridesmaid was also in white and my best friend maid of honour was in a floor length silver gown from Monsoon. The men and the pageboy were in grey.

The flowers, white with a pink centre, were artificial from etsy seller Glam Floral. They were amazingly life-like, and travelled surprisingly well, first all the way from America where they were made, and then all the way to Barbados in my parents’ hand luggage.

The favours were also from etsy, orchid cufflinks for the men and a bracelet featuring three silver orchids for the ladies.

We had dark grey coloured stones as the place settings, engraved with our guests’ names.

To be continued... ?

73 replies

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There'll be a tonne of flashes at the end - promise! I'm in the process of loading all of our photos into one big online album ?

Pleased everyone is enjoying it so far!

• N
    Beginner June 2013
    natsastar ·
    • Hide content

Come on....we want more!!!

• W
    Beginner August 2012
    waggamama ·
    • Hide content

I NEED MORE!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Suddenly, it was 5pm and time to get married!! My MOH strapped me into my dress and then I zipped her into hers and then we were just about ready! I was wearing a strapless blue sun dress when I got changed into my dress, and as there were children in the room when I was getting changed I put my wedding dress over the top of the sun dress, and then wiggled the sun dress to the floor without giving the kids an eyeful. I then forgot about the blue dress and wondered why I could hardly walk...with said blue dress wrapped around my ankles! I quickly removed the offending article of clothing and then it was time to go! (and only 10 minutes late!)

MOH, BM and PB left the room first, with MOH and BM holding their bouquets and PB clutching his little white cushion with the rings attached, then it was my turn.

I walked into the sitting room where my Dad was waiting. He told me that I looked beautiful then looked at me again and said “those must high heels you’ve got on!” which made me laugh (I’m not the tallest of people in the world). He offered me his arm and then Cannon in D Major started to play from the garden. MOH, BM and PB walked out into sunlight leaving just me and my Dad behind. We stood there in silence, both staring at the doorway where the sun was streaming into the sitting room, and then the planner reappeared and beckoned us forward. We walked out onto the decking into the brilliant sunshine and everything looked so beautiful! The huppah, draped in billowing white fabric, was over-looking the pool, with the pool giving the wedding a brilliant blue backdrop. The decorations that my lovely friends and mum had made earlier were gently swaying in the breeze. Our guests were sitting on dazzling white wooden chairs, white flowers were scattered on the grass down the aisle, and at the front, by the huppah, was the reverend dressed all in white and my husband to be with his back to me, facing the pool, waiting for me. It was all so amazing.

My dad helped me down the stairs to the grass and then we started to walk down the aisle. I honestly can’t remember anything about anyone else – I can’t tell you if they were looking at me or not. All I was focused on was my husband to be at the end of the aisle. As I neared Mr J an old Hitched thread popped into mind, about whether or not the groom should turn round as the Bride is walking down the aisle. Mr J didn’t, and I was randomly wondering why he chose to do that (strange things pop into your head when you're about to get married!)...until I reached him at the end of the aisle and realised that he was sobbing! My big, strong Mr J was reduced to tears as I walked down the aisle, which set me off too, although not quite as bad as him. He told me that I looked beautiful and we kissed even though we weren’t supposed to and held hands. I can’t remember my Dad leaving us, but suddenly it was just the two of us facing each other and the reverend was addressing our guests...

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

Well, don't stop there!!!!!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

I'm typing, I'm typing! Doing it in Word first in an attempt to avoid any obvious spelling mistakes...

Won't be much longer!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Reverend: “We welcome you today on this special and most joyous occasion in the life of S and Mr J, the occasion in which these two shall pledge their love commitment and devotion in and for each other. You have shared and contributed to their lives in the past, and by witnessing their marriage ceremony today, S and T ask that you share in their future. Marriage is a promise made in the heart of two people who love each other, which takes a lifetime to fulfill. It is the joining of hands, it is the blending of hearts, and it is the union of two lives as one. May this day shine eternally in your lives.”

Then the reverend was addressing Mr J:

“Mr J, you are about to take upon yourself a pure resolve, a solemn vow incurring grave and lasting responsibilities. The woman of your choice is now to become the partner of your life, the queen of your home. In no other way could she so manifest her love for you. She leaves her home ties, the companionship of friends-all these-to share with you the joys and sorrows of life. With you will she now abide.

Will you have this woman to be your wedded wife, to live together in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health: and, forsaking all other, keep you only unto her, so long as you both shall live?”

And Mr J, without hesitating for even a second and in a big, strong and confident voice said “I do” and my heart did a little somersault!

Then it was my turn!

“S, you are also to assume grave responsibilities. He whom you are about to wed will look to you for solace in the hour of trial. Your smile should be his brightest day, your voice his sweetest music, your industry his greatest wealth, your lips his faithful counselor, and your prayers his most able advocate at heaven court.

Will you have this man to be your wedded husband, to live together in the holy estate of matrimony? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health: and, forsaking all other, keep you only unto him, so long as you both shall live?"

And as I said ”I do!” Mr J had the most loving smile on his face. He didn't look anywhere else but at me for the whole service.

Vows:

“Mr J, you may now take S’s right hand in yours and say after me:

I, Mr J, take you, S, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor, and to cherish, till death do us part, this is my solemn vow.”

And Mr J, in a strong clear voice repeated his vows...until he reached the part about till death do us part. He paused, looked at me, and started crying. He was rubbing my hand with his thumb but he just couldn't speak and it was a minute before he could finish his vow. He later told me it was because he can’t bear the thought of me dying.

And then it was my turn again:

“S, you may now take Mr J’s, right hand in yours and say after me.

I, S, take you, Mr J, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love, honor, and to cherish, till death do us part, this is my solemn vow”

And Mr J looked so happy, and so in love, I just wanted to stay in the moment forever, looking into Mr J’s eyes, holding his hand and vowing to be his wife.

But then it was time for the rings, and PB did a sterling job bringing the rings up to the front for the reverend. I turned to give my flowers to MOH and she was crying too!

“You have for this purpose selected rings. These rings are a token of your marriage covenant, they are made of precious and enduring metal, and thus fittingly represents the ties which bind husband and wife. The ring, an endless circle, until broken by some outside force, is a symbol of the unbroken union that should continue until broken by death.”

Then we took it in turns to place our wedding rings onto each other’s fingers, saying:

“I give you this ring as a symbol of my love, and with all that I am, and all that I have I honor you." We both had to force the rings on over our knuckles, which made us both laugh.

Then the reverend said a lovely prayer for us before asking us to hold hands. He took his wedding stole and wrapped it around our hands, effectively binding us together, and said:

“I charge you both as you hope for happiness in your married life, to be true to these vows you have made to each other. With your marriage, from this day, you begin life anew, with greater responsibilities. Let not your voices lose the tender tones of affection nor your eyes forget the tender ray with which they shone in courtship’s day. And, greatest of all, let Love be enthroned above all else at all times. Remember today is the beginning of the rest of your life.”

The reverend then pronounced us husband and wife:

“And now, having heard you make these pledges of your affection, and taken these vows of fidelity, I do, by the authority conferred upon me by the Church and the laws of Barbados, pronounce you husband and wife. You May Now Kiss Your Bride.”

And then as Mr J kissed me ‘Empire State of Mind’ (the Alicia Keys only version), one of Mr J’s favourite songs, started to play and we were lead over to sign the register. The whole ceremony was absolutely beautiful and perfect in every way.

After we’d signed the register we went back to the huppah, where the Reverend presented everyone with "currently the newest married couple in Barbados". We kissed again and then started our exit to ‘Moment 4 Life’ (clean version!) by Nicki Minaj. Despite my playlist vanishing Jean had managed to play our songs exactly as we had wanted them. I’m very grateful to her for that. Everything was absolutely perfect. Then there was a loud pop and the champagne appeared as if by magic (Jean again) with glasses of fizzy Sprite for the children, which I didn’t know Jean had planned but it was a very nice thought and the kids loved having their champagne glasses of sparkly drink!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Omg this has nearly brought me to tears, if I wasn't sitting at my desk i would definitely be blubbing. Beautiful. Can't wait for the rest! xx

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

This has to be the best report if not the longest and drawn out EVER on hitched - I love it........ PICTURES we want PICTURES

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

This is torture! I keep checking back over and over for more and pictures. Please can we have pics soon? Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Everyone was congratulating us and hugging us and then it was time for the photos! It felt like the photographs were over and done with very quickly, but my mum and maid of honour both said later how long they took! And then it was time to go. The reggae bus was still a secret, but Mr J had told everyone that some taxis were coming to take us down the road to the restaurant. Mr J and Jean had come up with a little ‘play’ to make the bus even more of a surprise. With Jean running up to Mr J with her phone in hand looking really worried and saying how the taxi was delayed and that we would have to try and flag something down. Everybody started walking round to the front of the house when suddenly reggae music started blaring and there, sitting in the driveway, was a very shiny and well-looked after pirate bus, complete with white wedding bows!

The bus crawled down the road to the restaurant, making a real show of things, and beeping the horn and holding up all of the traffic – it was brilliant!

We got to the restaurant at 6.30pm. The outside of the restaurant was all lit up with coloured floodlights and a steel pan player was playing on the outside veranda decking. Candles were lit all along the outdoor ledges and the staff were ready and waiting to serve drinks and cocktails. As everyone was getting off the bus I kicked off my shoes and gave them to my mum and Mr J and I rushed onto the beach with the photographer to catch the sunset. We had the beach all to ourselves and it couldn’t have been more perfect.

When the photos on the beach were finished we headed into the restaurant where drinks were waiting for us. The restaurant had been completely cleared, with our table at the far end of the restaurant, and the cake hidden in one of the window alcoves. White curtains were tied back at each of the windows and the whole restaurant was bathed in a bluey green light to match the pale blue cushions on the seats. We had more photos with my parents and also the staff of the restaurant and then I saw our cake for the first time...our cake! It.was.amazing! The most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. We had three tiers of small individual cakes (kind of like cupcakes but proper individual cakes), all with a single paper cymbidium orchid on top. The cakes all had either a silver or white ribbon around them – the white ribbons were for the vanilla sponges and the silver for the chocolate cakes. The final top tier was a six inch round cake, with the infamous topper sitting on top! Scattered amongst the small individual cakes were more paper flowers and also the modes of our eight (!) cats. It was fantastic. Around the back of our cake my mum had placed a small decoration from her own wedding to my dad (two linked rings and a small white dove), but I moved this to the front of the cake, at the feet of our mini selves.

We had some more photos with the cake and then had some time to chat to our guests and to Jean as the photographer took photos of the table, which looked stunning. Our table was a long rectangle draped with a pure white tablecloth. My husband and I (!) and my parents were on one side, and the other 5 guests on the other side. There were three vases of cymbidium orchids placed down the table, interspersed with tall (battery-operated) candles in silver metal holders that looked like flames surrounding the candle, and small (battery) tea-light candles. The place stones were placed above each plate with a single cymbidium orchid, whilst the white favour boxes, tied with personalised silver ribbons which had our names and wedding date printed on them, were just off to the right of each place. The rest of the table was scattered with the same paper cymbidium orchids as our cake was decorated with. The whole thing looked beautiful. As we were sitting down Mr J and I were saying how brilliant the steel pan player had been (he was booked for the first hour) He played really contemporary songs with a pre-recorded instrumental background - it really added to the general ambience of the evening. Mr J suddenly said “wait here” and then ran back outside to the decking. He came back a moment later saying that the steel pan player was going to re set-up inside the restaurant, and stay for another two hours. Perfect!

As the steel pan player moved his equipment inside with the help of the restaurant staff, more champagne was brought out for the speeches. My dad made a comment about how most people come back from holiday with a tan and some souveniers, but they were going home with a son-in-law, which raised a laugh. And said how proud him and my mum were of me. Mr J said that he was blown away by my beauty when we first met, and by my no nonsense approach to life, and has never looked back. He said that while he didn’t know where he’ll be in 30 years time, as long as he’s got me then he doesn’t care about anything else. He said he was the happiest man alive and toasted our marriage, wishing for it to last to eternity and to be happy. And then everyone clinked glasses and then the food was ordered and the steel pan player started to play again. BM and PB started to dance, which set everyone else off dancing too. After the starters Mr J went to speak to the steel pan player and then ‘Time of my Life’ started playing. Mr J did a very good Patrick Swayze inspired dance down the entire length of the restaurant before grabbing my hand and twirling me around the ‘dance floor’. I really wasn’t expecting people to dance at the wedding with there being so few people, so to have an unexpected first dance was a lovely surprise...even if it was to something as cheesy as ‘Time of My Life’!

The rest of the evening flew by and before I knew it, it was midnight and time to go back to the villas. Taxis arrived to take us home where Mr J had to unfasten me from my dress (he was terrified about accidentally ripping off some of the buttons) and unpin my veil. Mr J was bouncing around the bedroom saying what an ‘awesome’ time he’d had and then we both just lay in bed looking at each other and laughing and giggling, asking each other if we could believe that we were actually married. It was so lovely, and went by so fast, and we both went to sleep excited for tomorrow and the second half of our wedding on the boat with the turtles.

And then we lived happily ever after.

The End! x

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous report! Sounds like you had an amazing day. Can't wait to see your flashes but your report is so detailed i can imagine how lovely it all looks. Congrats xxx

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

And I'm sure you will. What a fantabulous report! x

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Great report. I'd always felt dubious of 'destination' weddings but your report has painted them in a whole new light! Congratulations, can't wait to see flashes!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

It's like watching a great film and there's a power cut 5 mins from the end.

Pull your finger our J Smiley smile

• Kayels
    Beginner May 2013
    Kayels ·
    • Hide content

Wow this is sooooo good so far! Love it!!!!! Smiley smile xx xx

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

It all sounds so amazing! just perfect! Can't wait to see the flashes.

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

Such a lovely detailed report Smiley smile

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! It really was the perfect day.

And here is the long-awaited link to my photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81596024@N02/sets/72157630439879528

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

[:'(]..........I can't see your pics .... I get " oops! you don't have permission to view this page" message

☹️

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

The report it beautiful but the photos are private! I'e just created a flikr account to try and view them too!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Hmm. I created a Guest Pass so you should be able to see my private photos.

Does it work now? https://www.flickr.com/photos/81596024@N02/sets/72157630439879528/

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope !..Still get the same message !

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Nope!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG I hate computers! Sorry! Let me have another look...

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Right, that should be it... *crosses fingers and gets ready to smash computer if it still doesn't work*

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Yayyy !! ?

Fabulous photos...you all look so chilled out and relaxed,

I've loved (all)your report and wish you both every happiness in the future.

L x

P.S ..I get married on your first wedding anniversary ! ?

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! And congratulations for your upcoming wedding - less than a year to go! I'll think of you on our anniversary ?

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations - lovely report and photos are fab x

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

Well worth the wait - everything looked amazing and you have got some great sunset pictures. Congratulations to you both

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Amazing amazing amazing!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Ah, thanks so much everyone, you're all very kind. Can't believe it was only 2 weeks ago - it's like a distant memory already.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics