Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

I'm not my bridesmaid's bridesmaid... feeling a bit glum, anyone else had this?

Anonbride, 17 of February of 2022 at 11:36 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 12

I've been really trying to keep my chin up about this, but it's been eating at me and I do feel very down about it - just hoping for a bit of perspective I guess.

I'm only having two bridesmaids (plus my guy MOH). One of my bridesmaids is getting married a couple of months before me, and she's having 5 bridesmaids. Apparently I was initially on the list, but got cut in due to pressure to include extended family members - I get that, family dramas can be so difficult. She's still got room two friends in her line up, but others were chosen over me.

The thing that upsets me is when she talked to me about it was that she implied that I got cut because I was the friend least likely to kick up a fuss about not being a bridesmaid - which just makes me feel like in being nice I get the short straw. I've tried not to show it but I'm actually really gutted not to be a bridesmaid, especially as my list of female friends is so small and therefore so precious to me, there's only two girls I would ever imagine wanting and being a bridesmaid for and actually she's the one I feel closer to as we've been through so much together.

The other thing she said was that it wouldn't be possible for her to have 6 bridesmaids, not because of money or anything, but because of keeping an equal number with her FH's groomsmen and he's not willing to add one more (even though she's added his sister for him when she really didn't want to) - which makes me feel a bit hurt as (1) it's like aesthetics is more important than our friendship and (2) that she won't stick up for me.

I've been nothing but understanding to her, as I love her and want her to have a wonderful day and I don't want to be the cause of any more wedding related stress, but inwardly I'm just feeling upset about it. The more my bridesmaids are getting involved in my wedding planning, the sadder I am that I can't be involved in hers, and the more it hurts that the friendship feels more important to me than her which just makes me feel a kinda bad about myself.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you dust yourself off?

12 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 19 of February of 2022 at 14:07
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

What a sad situation, and I absolutely think you are right to feel hurt. It sadly seems you value your friendship with her more than she does, and she is being persuaded by others opinions. Please do not take this personally, you have done nothing wrong other than being an amazing friend and human for being so graceful, which for me are the exact qualities I look for in a friend and BM. Have you tried to talk to her about how you feel? Maybe approach it in a way that you are not trying to get her to change her mind, but more to get it off your chest and let her see how it has affected you, as she probably doesn't even realise the upset it has caused. She may see the light and change her mind, but make it clear that is not your intention, but you feel as her friend she needs to know how you feel. It is always hard with pressure from family to include people, but for me my girls are more important than that or the look of the day and I really struggle to understand people who are supposed to be your close friend just brushing you aside like that. I really hope you can see this is not on you and try to move on from this but I do think you need to speak to her to try and get some closure on the way you are feeling . X

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

My best friend had always said that she would have me and her other 3 close friends as bridesmaids. When she got married, her parents (who were paying for half the wedding) said she could only have three bridesmaids and one of them had to be one of her fiance's relatives. If she didn't comply, they would pull the funding so there wouldn't be a wedding.

She was devastated to have to drop two of us. And she picked the two who would 'mind least'. Not because we were being punished for being nice, but because she was trying to limit the amount of pain caused. I was sad not to be one of her bridesmaids on the day, but I actually felt touched that I was one of the two she trusted most to be able to deal with being left out.

I know it's really hard when you're dealing with disappointment, but if I were you, I would try to look at it from your friend's point of view. She is getting pressure from her family and from her fiance to have people in her wedding party she doesn't want. If the parents are paying, they may have threatened to withdraw their financial support if she doesn't invite family members as bridesmaids.

I'd also be concerned that her fiance has insisted on her having his sister as bridesmaid even though she really doesn't want her. He sounds quite controlling and manipulative and seems way more concerned with keeping his sister happy than with his bride's feelings. Try not to be too hard on your friend - it sounds as if she already has more than she can cope with dealing with the groom, and the last thing she needs is a good friend getting upset with her.

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Aww Charlotte - what a kind reply, thank you Smiley heart

It honestly hadn't crossed my mind to discuss it with her, as I hadn't wanted to do anything to add to the bride-stress, but maybe you're right...

Her family has always put a lot of pressure on her, which is very different to my own who have always been very supportive of me and tried to lessen any obligations, so I've tried to be sympathetic to her situation. At the same time though, I know if my family or FH had told me she couldn't be in my wedding party for whatever reason I would have fought for her place so that's where it stings. She did seem genuinely disappointed that I wouldn't be one of her bridesmaids, but she did say she felt it wasn't worth an argument for what is just wearing a specific dress and walking down an aisle - so I guess that's more meaningful to me than it is to her as well Smiley sad

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for sharing your experience with me - it’s really interesting to hear this perspective.

As far as I know, my friend not having her FH sister as a bridesmaid would have caused insult to his family so that’s why he refused to back down on it! It’s something that I feared myself, but was fortunate that my FH wanted me to have the people I wanted and stood by me.

I’ve definitely not said anything to her to even hint that I’m upset - as I said in my post, I want her to enjoy her day. I’m just really sad about it as I don’t think she gets how meaningful it would have been to me and how hurt I am - completely get the need for family members of she’s getting pressure, just don’t get aesthetics being more important than friendship or why it would have been so impossible for her FH to add another groomsman Smiley sad
  • A
    Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry you're in this situation and can totally understand where you are coming from. I haven't been in this situation myself butI agree with what Charlotte said.

I think its important that you get this off your chest but in the nicest way possible, not to cause extra stress to her or anything but you will probably feel better after airing things out. You don't want any resentment or sadness towards her whilst having her as your bridesmaid and with her joining in with planning etc. I know it will be hard but try not to let it get you down and try to look forward to your own day 😊
  • MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry you feel hurt. Honestly though, if she is genuine about saying you were there person least likely to kick off, I would take that as a true compliment and a testament to your friendship, particularly as she is having people she doesn't really want. If you twist this around, the message could actually be that she values you as a friend more because you both know there is more to your relationship than being a bridesmaid.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Your poor friend! She's marrying a guy who is more worried about appeasing his family than pleasing her and who is happy to argue her into submission as long as he gets what he wants. I feel really sorry for her. I just hope she's not going to end up regretting her choice of partner Smiley sad

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    He is a lovely guy, but it does make me feel particularly lucky that in contrast my FH has (frustratedly but willingly 😂) put his foot down with his family to make sure I’m happy.
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you ☺️
    I hadn’t previously thought to bring it up with her, as I feel like it’ll just make her feel bad and in all likelihood not change the situation - I’m not sure what I’d hope she’d say if I did bring it up 😕
  • E
    Savvy August 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    This is such a sad and tricky situation.
    I was bridesmaid for a couple of my friends but they weren't mine. Neither me or hub have sisters so family wasn't in the equation.
    My reasoning was I wanted a small wedding party and having some from one group but not others would have caused more issues. I had three bridesmaids and explained to the others that I love them and want them at my wedding but I can't have 15 bridesmaids or I'd have no guests! In the worst scenario that you still aren't a bridesmaid just think of your friendship with your friend. Is it worth ill feeling over? You will be at her wedding and will get to celebrate her most special day but with the freedom of being able to get ready and your own pace, be a guest and get to take in the full day maybe ask if you could be the guest of honour or something and still have input to her hen party and key ideas etc. Tell her how you understand her situation but that the reasoning stung. She needs to know your feelings. In 10 years time when you both look back at your weddings you will be happy with who you had as your bridesmaids and she will look back and remember the stress the bridal party caused and how glad she was to have her best friends there as guests for her to escape to? Best of luck with everything xx
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I do sympathise though, I wasn't bridesmaid at one friend's wedding when I thought I may have been however I was just as happy to be a guest and it meant I could spend the day with my partner.

It's hard but try see the positives of being both a bridesmaid and the positives of being a guest and what they mean to you and what it means to the bride you're there.
    If the situation is one where the reasoning and joys of being a guest aren't on par with being a bridesmaid and you feel so let down and that it's unjustified then is she the right friend? Would you fight for her against family if it meant added stress? If yes and she isn't then maybe reflect on what you value her for etc.
  • E
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry for the third response, but also see how much time she spends as a bride with you as a guest. My friends who weren't bridesmaids I had a dance with specifically, photos with them individually and selfies throughout the night. The dress the wore didn't determine how much time I spent with them.
    If she doesn't make time for you, then you know what sort of friend she truly is in my opinion.

But the gals who were my bridesmaids were the right choice for me as they had my back through everything in life whereas the others were more social friends.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics