Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hayley
Dedicated August 2024 East Sussex

I'm stressing

Hayley, 22 of June of 2021 at 14:42 Posted on Planning 0 11
I have been becoming really stressed my partner has been helping as much as he can with the planning but finding a venue and everything needed with the budget we have is which a struggle😑 does anyone know how to possibly make it less stressful

11 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 21 of July of 2021 at 12:05
  • H
    Beginner August 2021 Bristol
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Hayley,

I think may be on a different stage of the wedding process to you? I’m on my 2nd wedding.My advice to you is remembering the day is about you & your fiancé & your life together. Don’t get sucked into what pleases everyone else it’s your day so spending loads on others that you end up paying for way after the wedding (potentially) not sure if that’s any help for you sorry if it’s not. Good luck x
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    As Hayley said the day is about you and your fiancé, you don’t need to impress anyone. I think as long as as your guests are fed and watered you don’t need a fancy venue. Hope you’re able to find a venue you like within budget x
  • W
    Beginner January 2022 Co Antrim
    Winston ·
    • Hide content
    If stress is due to being close to or over budget you could always slow down or plan other things whilst saving up a bit extra to give you that extra piece of mind. Planning a wedding together should be a good time together with as little stress as possible. Focus on what yous want and not what other people want.
  • H
    Savvy
    HappyBrownCars12359 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hayley,

It's definitely overwhelming at the start! maybe jot down a few things that you both really, really want to help you prioritise (for us it was a venue with outside space, a good band and good quality but relaxed food / dining) - this really helped with budget planning. But agree - don't worry about impressing anyone else and if you need to have another 6 - 12 months to save do consider it or look into more DIY options- friends of ours have done that where they have been allowed to use a walled gardens / farm land and do it all themselves. It was a lot of work but they were fantastic weddings and low budget x

• B
    Curious March 2022 South East London
    Betka ·
    • Hide content

My partner and I are determinedly sticking to a tight budget and the main thing we've done is be brutal about what we want for our wedding vs what is expected and traditional.

It's helped us to cut some stuff out that didn't matter that much to us but would have otherwise taken us over budget.

You might differ wildly on what you want to keep but for example:

- I wasn't bothered about a veil and may not even wear a wedding dress. (Edit: I will of course wear some form of dress but not necessarily bridalwear. Not a nudist wedding, don't be alarmed.)

- We're not having a sit-down meal which also eliminates the need for table plans/seating charts/centrepieces/favours/table flowers (some of which are not strictly necessary depending on venue anyway, can be DIY'd or hired)

- I was okay with having dried flowers for a bouquet which can save money (Etsy if you're looking) and still look gorgeous (one of my friends did it and it looked great)

- Doing invites online - no fancy calligrapher.

- We stayed local for hen/stag/wedding itself. It's not for everyone but it's one hell of a cost saver.

Maybe sit down with your partner and go through the 'to do' list and decide what's a 'must have', what you really want/is important to you and what's just there because it's the 'done thing'. You might be able to make some cuts on 'the done thing' lists or find some workarounds if needed.

• Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're now faith having the the wedding at my parents or his ❤ it's nice for the kids as they are somewhere they know
  • Sarah
    Savvy August 2021 Suffolk
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Having the wedding at home is a lovely idea Smiley smile
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That plan has ended up down the drain as been told by few people it's illegal
  • Sarah
    Savvy August 2021 Suffolk
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You could always do a registry office ceremony and then a reception/party at home?
  • Hayley
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've always said I will never get married in a registry
  • Sarah
    Dedicated September 2020 West Sussex
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hayley sorry that you are stressing, we have all been there but it will all work out!

Just curious what sort of wedding you are imagining? Would it be Church or a civil ceremony in something like a stately home?
    Some registry offices are actually beautiful old building not the tv/movie image of a generic room etc. Also if you do that a day or so before for the legal bit just you and your partner, you could then have a celebrant led ceremony wherever you like which for you and your guests would be your real wedding

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics