Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

fifiminx
Beginner August 2010

Impetigo .. treatment

fifiminx, 25 of August of 2008 at 20:59 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

Has anyone had this? I'm pretty sure I have it. What startedas a few red spots has now spread to patches of crusty flaky skin, yuk! I dont think its serious enough to warrant a trip to the out of hours service and wondered if anyone knew of anything to treat that wouldnt need a prescription. Kinda hoping I may have something here that will work.

Thanks.

6 replies

Latest activity by Iris, 25 of August of 2008 at 22:16
  • flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I have had it about five years ago. I caught it off my gay housemate's boyfriend (really, really don't ask, it's not as bad as it sounds).

Get yourself an appointment at the doctors asap (out of hours isn't necessary, as long as you don't share towels or get up close and personal to someone else) - but it is very infectious and you'll need a prescription to clear it. There's nothing really you can do in the meantime except keep it clean, keep your hands off it (hard, I know) and boil wash your face flannel, etc, after use.

I left it too long before getting treatment (I didn't realise what it was) and now, although it's gone and the infection cleared years ago, I'm still prone to rashes and my skin is much more sensitive.

ETA, poor you - it's horrible. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• fifiminx
    Beginner August 2010
    fifiminx ·
    • Hide content

Does this mean OH has to sleep on the sofa tonight?? ?

Thanks for the advice. I'll ring first thing. Jsut wish I knew how I got it!

• flailing wildly
    flailing wildly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Make him wear a bag on his head ?

Strangely, my housemate never caught it, even though it was his boyfriend - so I guess some people are more resistant to it. But for the unlucky ones like you and me, you can catch it easily. Not an expert, but I think it's very easily spread through broken skin, so as long as he doesn't have any of those, it's less likely he'll get it - but ideally you shouldn't be sharing the same bed, no. You might want to google it to check transmission and precautions, though, as it was a long time ago for me.

(worries that this means I may have slept with gay housemate's boyfriend by accident when drunk}

• fifiminx
    Beginner August 2010
    fifiminx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, guess I'll bring him some pillows and a spare quilt downstairs. He'll get the message then!!

Thanks for the advice.

• embie
    Beginner September 2006
    embie ·
    • Hide content

I caught this whilst on holiday a few years ago. Didn't know what it was or how infectious it was and it spread over my body (i think from rubbing on sun lotion). I looked like a leper!! Go to the dr's as soon as you can. I was given antibiotics and a cream to apply, cleared up after a week or so. Dread to think what i would have looked like if i hadn't got it treated!

• Clare _ M
    Beginner July 2007
    Clare _ M ·
    • Hide content

It's a blooming pain in the ass. I get it every now and then and it's just horrible. Doctor's give me an antibiotic cream which will clear it up in a few days. Don't put anything on it now, just wait for the doctors tomorrow.

I never catch it off anyone else and strangely H never catches it off of me.

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

My son had it about 3 years ago. He had to have that horrid thick yellow antibiotic medicine. Hope yours clears up soon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics