Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Nutella
Beginner March 2013

In hindsight, what would you change?

Nutella, 25 October, 2012 at 10:31 Posted on Planning 0 32

I've been pondering this one for a while, our wedding hasn't even happened yet but already there are a few things I wish I had done differently. Not that I regret anything of course, and I love our wedding to bits but hindsight is a beautiful thing.

Venue - I fully fully love my venue and knew it wasn't the cheapest, and would probably have picked it anyway but I do wish I'd done the figures a bit more thoroughly before booking (and this comes from a spreadsheet queen!)

Dress - I'm having my dress custom made, it's been an interesting process and I do love it, but I worked on the assumption that I wouldn't be able to find what I wanted off the shelf. A year or so down the line and I wonder if I had thought differently about it, I could have found something that just needed minor alterations/additions instead of starting the whole thing from scratch.

Timescale - Part of me loves that we gave ourselves 18months to plan, it meant we could do things as and when, and now that we're just 4 months to go a lot of it is sorted already but it also leaves time to overthink things which I'm far too prone to doing as it is! A friend recently planned her whole wedding in 4 months and it was fantastic, and I was so jealous that the lingering wedding stress was over and done with so quickly for her!

This is not a post of regret, I just needed to write it down so it stops bothering me!

Is there anything you might have done differently?

32 replies

Latest activity by bunny_delicious, 27 October, 2012 at 15:56
  • cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

Again, same as you, not even had my wedding yet!

Also like you, I would have gone through the figures more for my venue, and possibly gone to see a few others just to reinforce that the money we're paying out is definitely worth it. But I love my venue and can't imagine it being anywhere else!

That is it so far, but still got a long way to go!

• B
    Beginner June 2013
    Bubbles369 ·
    • Hide content

I wish I had but the name of the hotel on the Save the Date, as we are now having to send out the invites much earlier than I had wanted to as people want to get a room booked.

Part of me also wish that I had spent more time looking for dresses as I ordered from the second shop I went to, but as my mum pointed out I may have regretted that as the dress I have chosen is a bit of a one off.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I would have done my save the dates different, (only because I felt they looked cheap and didn't reach my ridiculous high standard!) part from that everything I have had doubt about over the last few months (trust me there have been loads! I am my own worst critic and when your doing most stuff DIY this is a bad trait!) all went once I put it all together to take pictures for the wedding , seeing it a laid out made me remember why I had come up with the idea in the first place.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.......

We wouldnt have had the band that we did. Dont get me wrong they are great and we love them, but it wasnt to everyone's taste and was very very loud. Lots of people left between 9 and 10pm when they started, there wasnt much dancing, and I couldnt hear people to speak to them!

We wouldnt have had my BIL's company as caterer. Food was AMAZING, but he couldnt let go and ended up cooking, when he wasnt going to, and he wasnt really a part of the wedding as a result.

I think we might have also sacked off the big mahoosive thing and had a smaller do.

Everyone tells you that your wedding day is the best ever, and although it was a great day we just found it a bit stressful!!! Too many people and not enough time!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to sound like a right smug arse and say nothing.

There must be something but I just can't remember anything that I'd do differently! I do have a pants memory though.

Oh - there were a couple of photos I wish I'd included in the photographers list.

Oh and! I'd have thought more about where the harpist was situated - we had glorious weather so everyone was outside but the harpist needed power so needed to be inside. I think if I'd discussed things with the venue in advance we would have been able to sort something.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have had a UK reception. Or rather, not try to have a "wedding reception" as such. For me, the wedding was the overseas ceremony and I didn't enjoy having to "put on a show" for everyone else when we got back. To me, not what marriage is about. Maybe just some drinks and dinner in a nice local country pub or something would have been nice, but I don't think I'd have been fussed if we'd just quietly got home and got on with being married.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change anything major because it was an awesome day.

-I wouldn't have bothered with save the dates, sent the invitations out shortly after anyway.

-I'd have tried to remember to eat some of the evening buffet because it was apparently really nice.

-I'd have put someone in charge of button holes so my grandmother didn't end up wearing my mum's.

-I'd have remembered to put earrings in and a plaster on my foot where I knew my shoe rubbed.

-Part of me wishes we had videographer but my bank account doesn't mind.

ETA- Kharv's post reminded me that I'd have paid more attention to writing our photo list. I don't have a single photo (professional or not) of me and my brother standing next to each other.

• ladyzoot
    Beginner August 2012
    ladyzoot ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't have changed much at all, except a few very minor things:

- like Kharv I missed 1 photo from my list as time was pressing on and couldn't be bothered to gather everyone, but now I wish we had bothered

- I shouldn't have stressed about the first dance so much!

- I didn't really want a receiving line but that was OH's choice anyway

- wish I'd chosen a different veggie main course (which I had and it was a bit boring) but that's just the benefit of hindsight!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt have had a recieving line - the only reason we did was we didnt think we'd get the chat to everyone in the time between ceremony and breakfast, turns out we had plenty

I would have made the wedding cake myself..i ummed and ahhed over it for a good few months before getting someone to do it, but i could have done it just as good as she did and at a fraction of the cost!!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was just thinking the exact same thing!!

I think if I'd answered this post before the wedding I would have picked holes in my planning and wobbled about things, but now the days over and done, I could not think of a single thing I would change, our day was absolutely perfect.

It's amazing how on the day you realise all those little things that stress you out really don't matter! xx

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Nothing. Honestly.

You can tell from the smile in all of my photos that the day was just perfect for me.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My cheesy grin didn't budge all day too ? I felt sickingly happy during the ceremony and just could not get rid of the big soppy grin on my face!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Actually, I just thought of one.... I would have eaten more cake.

My cake was bloody amazing and I only got to have 1 measley slice because all of it went. I wish I'd saved the bottom tier instead of the top tier, because then there would have been more to share out after the wedding and I wouldn't have been left with a teeny slice.

• Mrs C 2B87
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrs C 2B87 ·
    • Hide content

I haven't had my wedding yet but as it stands at the moment I would have had more bridesmaids. I only asked my SIL because I wanted to keep costs down and she is not just my SIL buy my best friend. I have 3 other friends who I am really really close to but I just couldn't get the thought out of my mind that it was too much money and I didn't want 4 BMs but couldn't choose between them. Now I think I would just have them all but feel it is too late in the planning to ask as they will know they were an after thought which in reality they weren't but that is how it will come across.

BUT I love my wedding and I wouldn't change anything major unless we were paying for it ourselves but as we can't afford there is no point dwelling on it!!!

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I would have ensured the ushers were more prepared to gather people to the photographs - in the end I ended up shouting out the groups and who to come. But I didn't really mind being in control. I wouldn't have brought confetti as I forgot the shot.

I would have turned up earlier - I was 5 minutes early but it was so fun sitting in the car park watching everyone walk in.

I wouldn't have paid bar staff as my Father-In-Law did it all evening, he chatted to everyone and kept himself out of trouble!! (but they were wonderful at tidying up and did a really good job so still were worth the money)

I haven't seen any official photographs yet - I am hoping I will not be as overcritical of myself as I am in the ones I have seen - but maybe lost more weight, worked particularly on my arms. Slept more so my eyes were less puffy.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Any cheeky flashes Sloth, I can't wait to see the venue! And you of course!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Nothing.... I can't think of a single thing... we were so lucky and it turns out you can have an awesome party in the middle of a field! ha.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm the opposite, think I would have had less, or none at all!! I've gone from having 3, to having 4 to now potentially having 3 again (but not the same 3 as before!)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I really enjoyed our day but in hindsight I would have...

- booked the wedding for the last week of May when it was glorious here, as by August it was totally soggy and we were sinking into the grass during photos!

- made it clear to the ushers they were not to leave the front row on my side next to my mum and witness empty. I still have no idea why they did that

- checked the bar staff knew how to make a bellini cocktail, it tasted awful

- chosen a venue with more flexibility in choice of caterers

- chosen a venue that allowed fireworks

- used a caterer who did not attempt to posion hubby and our nut allergic guests

- possibly got married in Wales so my granny may have been able to come. Most of our other guests probably wouldn't have made it then, but it still doesn't feel right she wasn't part of our day (she is ill and unable to travel)

- not spent so much money on the honeymoon if I'd have known just a few weeks after we got back we would see our dream house and want to start moving so soon!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm free as a bird on 2nd March. Just so you know.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Best line up with C & J, they've put in very strong cases on the dress front

• Mrs C 2B87
    Beginner May 2013
    Mrs C 2B87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just wish I had maybe given it a bit more thought and when I think about it I would love to have them up there with me but with the cost of dresses, flowers and then the stress that seems to come with BMs it puts me off again - one BM means no dress, shoes or jewellery arguments because as long as it compliments me and the colour scheme I have told her she can wear what the hell she likes!!!!

No maybe I am glad to have the one!!!

Well I am free for BM duties if need be!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ask Mr Nuts. He'd pick me.

Ill have a radio tuned to radio 5 live in my ear ?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well as daft as it sounds, up till the day before I was in tears about the things that I wanted to do differently (blue shoes instead of being convinced to have plain ivory and various other major things), but by the end of the wedding day I said no, I loved every minute of it, and while I can look at the day and fine ways to improve it, I wouldn't go back and do it, THAT was my day and I wouldn't change a minute, because me and OH said our (emotional) vows to each other and had lots of cuddles, I didn't need anything else, despite it seeming oh so important before. The bits of the day I most loved were all the nice chats with people and smiley photos. Honestly, you may want some things differently, but on your day you will love every single thing you have organised.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree with this ^. I was exactly the same on the run up but looking back, I wouldn't change a thing Smiley smile

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

The only things I would have changed is 1.I would have made sure the photographer took a picture of me coming up the aisle. That really upsets me still to this day. 2. I would have had a different make up artist. She was rubbish. Everything else was completely perfect.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't change anything looking back as we had a great day but being in the industry, seeing all the pretties, I would have a few more things included!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Ahhh my day was so cliche perfect. I'm sure there were little things not quite right but too happy and excited to notice. I felt like I was floating all day. I thought i'd be stressed on the day and not really enjoy the wedding, as I was sort of the host, but I loved every minute and wasn't stressed at all and it flashed by. I was superlucky to have the day I did thanks to my hubby.

To the ladies not yet married, you won't even notice anything not quite right. When I came back from honeymoon, a couple of my friends said they were shocked because a plus one of one of the ushers turned up in a white dress - I hadn't even noticed, but remembered meeting her to say hi on the day and thinking she was a nice girl!

If I had to say something it would these:-

1. NOT to get so stressed in the build-up to the wedding (although all the planning produced the most perfect day)

2. Not to have been so nervous about the first dance my hubby made us do

2. Asking my tog to make sure he took lots of photos of my dear grandpa who is not very well at all. I have 2/3 but wished I had a few more

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    Chedi ·
    • Hide content

I've been thinking of this for a few days now, and I am struggling.

I think I may have gone for the other photographer, we had a 50/50 choice. I still love the one we've booked, and we do get a lot more from him even if we're paying a little bit more for it - but I still do love the other one. The other thing is, if we did go with her, even though we wouldnt be getting an album or framed photo - we would have saved some money (about £100 - which is why we went with him, as £100 for a decent album and frame seemed pretty good). £100 could still have helped with other bits and peices though.

I think I'd also go for a bigger venue. I love ours sooo much, and I wanted an intimate ceremony which is what we've got. But at the same time, there are a few more people I would have liked to have invited to the day, and it would have been nice to invite partners as currently we have a few guests (like friends) who's partners are only invited to evening, and I havent been able to give any family from a distance a plus one (those without partners) - so if they do come, they've got a long way to travel on their own.

Still would have liked it to be January/February, instead of March, but thats a long story, and I do still like that we're getting married in march.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

I would only wish for more time so would have perhaps had a1pm ceremony but kept the 4pm wedding breakfast time. I say this because unfortunately my friend's bf fainted and we of ourselves waited for him to feel better and then the photos just take so long. We felt like we had no time with our guests before dinner and we didn't have all the shots we should have had because we'd ran out of time.

I would also have over invited as we had people who didn't bring their plus ones, which was thoroughly annoying and rude I think.

Remind your h2b to empty his pockets. My OH had a big bunch of car keys in his pocket!

Apart from that nothing would be changed! It was the best day!

Xx

• bunny_delicious
    bunny_delicious ·
    • Hide content

Only regret was the photographer and possibly the dress. Now, I got married 14 years ago, so it was very expensive photographer from a wedding show (the internet had only just been invented and google didn't exist - can you imagine!) or someone that my dad knew, that 'dabbled'. For £200 I got crappy photos. He turned up late on crutches and the photo's were stilted, often awkward, and we all looked a bit hacked off as we had to stand around for so long. I remember saying. That's it, enough, I'm cold and I'm going in (October 1998). You get what you pay for at the end of the day. £200 got me a non pro on crutches, with light spots and grainy pictures. I should of heard the warning bells, when he turned up with a suitcase full of random pictures. The internet is SUCH a fantastic place for inspiration, you are all so lucky to have it! Planning is so much fun now. I tried on 2 wedding dress, THE one in John Lewis, which turned out to be so NOT the one, and one in Berketex that I ended up having made by a dress designer, as I was a weeny thing. I wish I had taken time to try on every dress, rather than obsessing over ticking things off the list. I let the florist dictate the flowers. I tried on one wedding ring and I just didn't spend enough time trying different weddings on, which is probably why my attention to detail is over magnified in the career path I chose after having children. But who knows, older and wiser play a big part in hindsight. You probably wouldn't do half of what you did if you had the power of hindsight, and that's not a life now is it. If your gut is screaming that something is wrong, life will find a way of telling you so.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics