Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

In which the diamond falls out of my engagement ring...

5 August, 2011 at 19:22 Posted on Planning 0 7

...and OH finds it. I'm still in shock! I looked down at my engagement ring earlier and got the most horrible fright when I saw it was empty - I now understand the meaning of the phrase 'my heart was in my mouth'. I'd had a shower, done washing up, done laundry, it could have gone down the sink, in the rubbish... I basically sat down on the floor and asked OH if there was any chance this was a horrible dream and I might get to wake up soon. I was about to have a full-on panic. The ring is covered by my home contents insurance though we've had to claim twice in the last four years (collapsed ceiling and OH having his bag stolen) and I'm not sure what would happen if we made a third claim in such a short space of time. And the jeweller (who is also OH's best man) said he was sure they would have managed to sort something out if we hadn't found it. But it wouldn't have been the same as it wouldn't have been MY diamond - I'm sentimental like that.

OH was unbelievably calm given the circumstances and, against all the odds, he found it all of five minutes later on our bathroom floor. I couldn't believe it... OH was pretty shocked it could happen as my ring has what's meant to be one of the most secure settings but a bit of a Google has told me it is more common than you might think. So the ring is being sent off to be re-set and everything, and now my hand feels really empty and weird. I have a placeholder ring from when we were engaged but we recently moved and I haven't found/unpacked it yet. I keep feeling for my ring and then remembering where it's gone.

Wasn't sure whether to share (don't want to make anyone else worry about the same thing happening) but I just cannot believe it wasn't lost and gone forever.

7 replies

Latest activity by Nik_Nak, 5 August, 2011 at 21:36
  • M
    Beginner September 2011
    monkey_nut ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, I'd be heartbroken if I lost the diamond out of mine! What kind of setting was it? I'm worried now!!

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I'm forever worrying about losing mine. So glad you found it though. x

• MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

How horrible! Glad you found it! I had something similar with my engagement ring when we moved house a little while ago, we'd spent all morning packing our whole house into vans, I was traveling to the new house with MIL2B, and she was happily chatting about the dress she might wear for our wedding... when suddenly I zoned out cos I realised my ring had gone! It was a horrible sickening feeling! It could have been left in the old house... in any of the bin bags we'd chucked out... in any of the hundreds of boxes i'd packed... I felt so ill. We got to the new place, thought we'd better start unpacking as planned, and then OH's friend came round who needed something printing (randomly!), so OH got out the printer box.... and out my ring fell!! We wouldn't have got the printer out for a while, as that wasn't a priority! Who knows how many boxes/bin bags etc we'd have searched through first!

I completely understand the feeling!

• R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

Am really pleased you found it, you must have felt dreadful! I had to have mine sized-down so was without it for nearly two weeks and every time I felt for it or looked at my hand for a split second I panicked! x

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

This happened to my H2B's brothers wife the other month.

They were cleaning up and all of a sudden the diamond of her ring gets caught in the soft wood of their dining table, rips it out and it falls down a crack in the floor boards.

Floor boards up and her other half finds it for her, but she was without a ring for quite a while when it was being fixed.

i dont look after mine at all well and knock it on everything on a daily basic. Hoping it doensnt happen to me.

• Nik_Nak
    Beginner September 2011
    Nik_Nak ·
    • Hide content

Oh I know exactly how you feel anniepie ☹️ I had to have my ring resized because I have the tiniest fingers in the world...my ring finger is a size F. Anyway, a few days after the resizing, I was sat at my laptop, chatting to my OH via MSN, when I looked down and saw that one of my diamonds was missing. I was typing frantically "OMG OMG OMG one of my diamonds have gone missing OMG OMG OMG" - luckily my brother was about, who calmed me down and got his torch out, and found my diamond right below me on the carpet. Panic over!!! I took it back to the jewellers who said it happens when you have a tension set diamond and you have your ring resized. Anyway, a few months afterwards I was in the front garden with the dog and he went to run off, so I grabbed him and scratched my ring against the brick wall...there were deep scuffs all the way round one half. I was so gutted ☹️ Thankfully my BM / best friend works in a jewellers and she got it replated and buffed up. Now, it's all shiney I'm reluctant to wear it and I've gotten into the habit of wearing it on odd days...which my OH is not impressed about because he says it's meant to be worn and if something happens, it'll be alright / get fixed.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics