Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Saisi
Beginner June 2011

Including a stamp on the RSVP postcard

Saisi, 7 March, 2011 at 12:41 Posted on Planning 0 12

MY GOD my dad knows how to irritate me!

We were round at my parents at the weekend doing the final addressing etc of the evening invitations. They come with little RSVP cards, and when I say little, they are really quite tiny. I therefore had previously made the decision not to stamp them, thinking that some people might prefer to put them into an envelope or into a card. Our day invitations had the same size RSVP card, and I hadn't put a stamp on them, and in fact about half have come back inside an envelope or card, and half have come back by themselves, showing that I was right not to do so.

When my dad received his day invitation, he moaned about the lack of a stamp... "nice invite, but you forgot to put a stamp on my RSVP card"!! So I politely explained my reasons for not including a stamp.

So when we went round to do the evening invitations... what does he do... HE MOANS AGAIN! "I would put a stamp on those cards... don't you think it would be nice for people if their card was stamped?" NO, because it would be a waste of a stamp if people want to write us a card! And it is not my responsibility to provide a stamp anyway... yes, it would be lovely of me, but definitely not necessary. He acted like people would be horribly offended by having to go out and buy a stamp!

ARGH. Who is right?

12 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 7 March, 2011 at 13:47
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We chose not to simply from hearing people saying that even with a rsvp and a s.a.e they still had to chase them up for a reply.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Vikster79 - I don't think people would NOT respond because they couldn't find a stamp. Some people just won't respond regardless of how easy you make it for them.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We put a stamp on a reply addressed envelope in with the rsvp card - in fact the envelope was behind the card with the flap over it - and a week after the rsvp date we're still waiting for almost a third of our responses.

You'll still get "oh I thought you knew we were coming so we didn't bother to reply" from people - and certainly "not being able to find a stamp that day" is not a good reason to fail to respond; you just make a note that you need to find one.

Some of it will depend on your guests though - are you providing an alternative, ie email address, for people with internet access so they don't specifically need to post the card back? If 90% of your guests are on the web then you could just as easily do that and then do a stamped card for the elderly relatives that aren't online?

• Jokaty82
    Beginner May 2012
    Jokaty82 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't put a stamp on. Its a big extra cost on an already expensive day.

I am sure a guest would not mind buying their own stamp. I always send a card when going to a wedding to rspv and always put a stamp on, its never once crossed my mind about they should have provided a stamp. And also never had an invite with a stamp. xx

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nope. I wanted all the answers from one source so it would be easy to 'collate' if you see what I mean.

I just didn't think having a stamp or not having a stamp would be such a big deal. I hate waste, and the stamp would be wasted if the guest decided to send a card instead or decided to put the RSVP card into an envelope as it's so small (which several day guests have already done). I certainly don't think people will be OFFENDED by not having a stamp on the RSVP card!! Haha. (I've got to laugh, or I'll burn up in rage!)

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I've included an email address and only included RSVP cards last minute for my older relatives that dont use the internet. I have some people abroad, and some I know will be hand delivered, so providing a stamp is a waste of my money. I've never been sent an invite with a stamp on anyway.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I don't remember receiving a wedding invite with a stamped self-addressed envelope, I always respond regardless of whether or not there's a stamp. I have been to lots of weddings over the years and non of the invites have had stamps to my recollection!

We're not including an rsvp card in ours at all, people can call, text or email. If they want to reply via a letter they can get an accept/regret card themselves!

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We have given 3 ways of replying, post, email and telephone and people still cant manage to get one right!?

• Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Amazes me that people don't bother to RSVP

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am putting stamps on mine. I only send a shop bought accept/regret card if there is no RSVP enclosed.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't bother personally, let them buy their own. Less cost for you.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I would never expect to receive an RSVP with a stamp, how extravagant ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics