Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Linz160
Beginner November 2013

Including RSVP cards with your invitations, yes or no?

Linz160, 31 of July of 2013 at 18:52 Posted on Planning 0 27

I was just wondering if it is still seen as necessary to include RSVP cards with your invites? I know the older generations might choose still to send one, but I was thinking or giving options to RSVP by email, phone / text, Facebook ...

What are your thoughts? Did you or are you providing them? Would you be out out if you received an invite without one?

27 replies

Latest activity by Linz160, 5 of August of 2013 at 22:16
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I included them and had a space for people to include their wine colour preference to encourage people to send them back. RSVPs were much easier to keep track of when they were all in one form of reply. I'd have lost the plot a bit if I'd received 100 RSVPs over email, phone, text, Facebook, post etc!

I prefer to receive one as I'm quite forgetful and I'm much more likely to respond in a timely manner if there's something for me to send back.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

We provided one because our parents had said their friends would expect one however we've just received an invite to a cousin's wedding in sept and they didn't, they just said text them. It was a lot easier and simpler & no worries about stamps etc. I would suggest not to bother.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Also - I love getting post that isn't bills!

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I did. I found it exciting to receive them in the post and I like the etiquette of it. One of the few things we still send by post etc that's not business related. Even if I get a wedding invite which doesn't include a RSVP, I will buy a rsvp card to send back. I just like stuff like that

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    future.mrs.c ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We had no intention of including RSVP cards. However after reading this im not sure? Does sound exciting receiving them all back lol! Just think would be easier and cheaper to get a phone call / txt. Hopefully people might get round to it quicker too!

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I'm not... Having guest sign onto my wedding website where they can see engagement pics, choose menu options, RSVP, and also find local hotels. There will be a function for individuals to arrange car sharing too!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

We have a website and are both contactable by email, text, FB, twitter etc but I'm with the others on ease of everything being in one place/Oldies like it/ i like the traditional etiquette element to it.

I will definitely send them out. I won't be stamping the return envelopes tho!!!

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

I am including them with our invitations because not everyone on our guest list has Facebook , email or even a mobile phone, I am putting stamps on so they have no excuse not to return them. We are writing our invitations this weekend.

• *Munchkin*
    Beginner October 2013
    *Munchkin* ·
    • Hide content

We included them as pre-addressed postcard style cards, and it's been a huge success. Of the 60+ invites we sent, we've had over 50 RSVP so far (with a month left for them to reply). The vast majority have used the provided RSVP, which has been great.

I wouldn't be put put if I received an invite without an RSVP card - I just think it's a nice way of prompting people to RSVP.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We did, but only because they came free when we ordered our invitations. We also included an e-mail address for reply and I think we got about a 50/50 split between people who returned the cards and people replying by e-mail. It was easy to keep track of, we just used a spreadsheet with the guest list on, and coloured them green or red as they replied.

I have received invitations without RSVP cards before, and have just replied by e-mail (when an address has been given) or sent a hand-written note. I would never reply via Facebook.

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

We included RSVP cards with our invitations for a few reasons, we didn't write names on the invitations, so wanted it to be clear who had been invited i.e. Cousins but not their partners. Also we have menu choices so needed to know these and we ask people for a song request for the evening reception.

We gave people the option of using the RSVP card or replying by email, I would say we had about 60% reply with the RSVP, 30% by email and a final 10% that we had to chase for a verbal reply!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'm old fashioned, I'd send an acceptance card! If an RSVP card is included with the invitation, I enclose that with my card. If only an email address was provided, I'd do that, but if both choices were given I'd send a card. For something as special as receiving a wedding invitation, I don't grudge a stamp to send a reply!!! I think text/FB is too informal and difficult to keep track of.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I wish we had. I had no idea it would be so difficult for people to reply. Ignorant so-and-so's.

We had a place on the website to reply, a dedicated email address, a postal address and still we were chasing up.

Don't even get me started on the evening folk!! ?

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

We are including self addressed RSVPs in ours, i thought it may prompt people to reply. I dont want text or emails i want to have my parents calling me to tell me more RSVPs have arrived in their post.

I always reply with an RSVP card - included or not - i even did to my FSIL's wedding.

• Meshelled79
    Beginner August 2013
    Meshelled79 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Kharv and some of the other brides. I encouraged my RSVP's to come back by including a song choice and using adlibs. Saying that, I got hardly any back on time and some didn't even reply. A friend did hers by FB/Email/Website etc, she did say it was a pain to remember who had said what and collecting them all in.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are going to do both I think. We will include a RSVP card with in invite as people have said some people prefer to receive an RSVP and I like the thought of them all coming back to us in the post. However, I know some people (me included!) are rubbish at remembering to send the RSVP back so we also have the option of guests to RSVP through our wedding website if they wish.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think we were lucky - out of 80 odd invitations sent, we had almost all of the RSVP cards back by the RSVP date. We only had to chase a couple of people.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'm so tight for numbers there are many people on my 'reserve' list. If I don't get RSVPs back on time tough, they aren't coming!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't worry - I'll send it straight back ?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We'll probably send some rsvp's to family members and grandparents etc, and others who I speak with most days on faebook etc i'll probably tell them to contact me by that or by text. And same here if anyone doesn't respond by date given they won't be coming?

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

We included them for meal options only. If we hadnt i would still only have given my address for people to RSVP by simply because its so much easier to keep track of.

We have had a couple of people still reply by email where they were either long distance of we had to chase up replies.

• M
    Beginner January 1998
    MrsI2Be ·
    • Hide content

We didn't include them, and put both address and phone number on the invite to use for rsvps. I would say about 90% of people sent us a card in the post, which was lovely! We hardly had to chase at all, although some people did leave it right til the deadline!

• Jaysmonkey
    Beginner August 2014
    Jaysmonkey ·
    • Hide content

We will be having RSVPs for menu choice, wine preference and also 2 song requests each guest gets Smiley smile

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. We did make it a bit easier for people by stamping / addressing envelopes in advance though! And we only had 50 guests... ?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

We provided RSVP's and an addressed envelope, we didn't put stamps on them though.

We also got 99% of ours back out of 70 invites by the RSVP date.

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies. We have decided to out them in the day invites only, mainly for menu choices.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics