Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Incorrect name on banns certificate! Eek!

laura1982, 20 August, 2012 at 20:17 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all, just looking for a bit of reassureance really- please?!

We've had our banns read in both our local church and the church we are marrying in. However, we couldnt make the banns readings for the local church due to various other wedding related reasons. I have just been to collect our banns certificate from our local church, but when I got home and opened the envelope, the certificate had totally the wrong surname on for my fiance!! I have called the vicar right away to ask him about this, but I'm now freaking out that he has called the wrong name! We only have 3 weeks until our wedding so don't even have enough Sunday's left to have them re-read!

I know its probably our own fault for not being there, but after the vicar had copied the original banns form from the church we are getting married at, I assumed the names would be correct!

4 replies

Latest activity by laura1982, 21 August, 2012 at 08:48
  • ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Not the same as we're having a civil ceremony, but we picked up our certificate of notice the other week and noticed that OH's first name is spelled wrong. Obviously it was their mistake, but they said legally it was our fault as we should have checked the spelling was correct during the appointment. I rang the registrar in the district we're getting married in and they said they can put the correct name on the marriage certificate as long as OH brings his passport on the day, as it's obviously spelled correctly there. What has the vicar said about it when you spoke to him?

• Strawberryqt
    Beginner August 2014
    Strawberryqt ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I don't know much about church weddings I'm afraid..

...but I just wanted to say I hope you get it all sorted! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    laura1982 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies girls!

Well I'm still waiting for him to get back to me- I've left a couple of messages for him but he's not the best at communication!! I will keep trying to call him tomorrow- I am just hoping he has written it incorrectly on the certificate and not at the actual reading! I can't work out where he has got the name from though as its nothing like it is written on the original banns form I gave him!

Fingers crossed we can get it sorted - everything has gone so well so far so I suppose we were due a curveball at some point!

• Strawberryqt
    Beginner August 2014
    Strawberryqt ·
    • Hide content

If it is his error... surely it should all be Ok?

But like I said... I'm really have no idea what the rules are.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    laura1982 ·
    • Hide content

Phew!

Just managed to get hold of the vicar - he doesnt know what he did but it sounds as though its just a mistake- he is going to re-write the certificate and post it for us later.

Now I just feel a bit like a drama queen ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics