Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner October 2016

Indecisive bride!

Helenheh502, 29 of October of 2014 at 20:51 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello everyone

So I'm new to hitched as have just recently got engaged. My problem is I'm so indecisive I just can't decide what sort of wedding I would like! I think I would prefer an autumn or winter wedding but since these rely on the season so much I'd be worried about having the perfect weather (so either crisp autumn sunshine or wintry snow!) which is clearly a problem! The only 'theme' I'm that interested in is the colour and feel associated with the season...fiancé is keen to go abroad which I'm happy with too, but even then I don't know where I would go? I think snow is only guaranteed in ski resorts and since we don't ski would seem a bit daft, and Lapland would be super expensive for guests to come. And I don't know of anywhere in Europe that's known for amazing autumn colours (again New England would be too far to go for guests).

Any advice or inspiration would be much appreciated! X

5 replies

Latest activity by Helenheh502, 31 of October of 2014 at 10:30
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Forget about the weather! You can't guarantee British weather in any way. I'm a wedding photographer and rain is just as likely in the summer as it is in the winter. I've had many summer weddings rained off and had to do all the group shots inside. Also, on 24th Dec last year I did a wedding in York and they posed in the sunshine for their photos! It was warm enough to walk about outside.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to hitched, and congratulations on your engagement.

As Paula says, the weather cannot be guaranteed at any time of the year, wherever you are, really. I've seen tropical destination weddings be affected by rain, and have been to Paris in February and had to buy new clothes because it was so unseasonably warm that all my winter garb I had taken with me was too hot.....people were sunbathing on the banks of the Seine on Valentines Day! So, just go with what you like, whether that is in the UK, or abroad, and everything will fall into place. Just have a back up plan in terms of the weather if you are planning anything outdoors - just in case, but regardless of the weather, you can and will have an amazing day.

So, start with things like approximate numbers of guests you would like, then think about whether you want a relaxed or a more formal venue. Get online and search for venues in your area, or venues further away in the UK that might look like they are your sort of thing. Get brochures for destination weddings if you think that is an option for you, and just start to get a proper feel about what you NEED, and what you would be able to afford etc.

You can get some amazing autumn colours in the UK, so perhaps stately homes with large estates and big trees might be an option for you? And it it rains, well, you will be inside, in the toasty warm with a log fire.......win-win!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think you might need to put the weather to one side for now. Start by deciding roughly what your budget is, as that will give you a better idea of the sort of wedding you will have. They think about your guests, and consider roughly how many people you want to be there. Maybe have a must have, like to have, and evening list, as that will help with weddings here and abroad. My best friend is getting married in December and they have made sure their venue has indoor and outdoor space, so that it'll be beautiful either way. Maybe you could look at some venues like that?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'd definitely forget about the weather as you can't control that even if you go abroad.

As MrsShep has suggested set your budget and work from there. You can still incorporate the autumn colours (that's what we had) or winter references in decorations and colour schemes. Just don't rely on the weather suiting you. You'll just be disappointed, and stressed out about it in the run up to the wedding.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

I agree with everyone else - just look at the weather forecast for tomorrow for example, warmest Hallowe'en for ages at 20 degrees.

Pick your wedding date on what suits you, and let Mother Nature worry about the lighting effects - you'll have a fantastic day regardless.

• H
    Beginner October 2016
    Helenheh502 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the sage advice everyone! You are definitely right, I need to just relax about the weather and incorporate whichever season into the decor etc. So now I just need to pick one and find an ideal place...so far nowhere has jumped out at me. I want something a bit 'different'! Thanks again for all the advice ? xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics