Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

vicbic
Beginner September 2003

Independent make up advice?

vicbic, 13 July, 2009 at 20:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

I wonder if such a thing exists!

I've always had difficult skin, as I get rosacea, spots and I am quite pale. I really want to find out what to do with my skin as it can look so red, and blotchy and its really getting me down. I've tried make-up counters in the past and end up buying things that aren't necessarily good for my skin.

I've always used liquid foundation as it tends to provide good coverage, but all the googling I do suggests mineral powder, but I am worried it won't give me enough coverage, or look really cloggy.

Can anyone either suggest anyone who can give advice, or a company found on the high street that can give good advice rather than flog me something?

Companies I thought of trying include Benefit, lily lolo or MAC? Are they any good?

Thank you so much.

6 replies

Latest activity by Mexicana, 15 July, 2009 at 01:03
  • Dr Svensk Tiger
    Beginner
    Dr Svensk Tiger ·
    • Hide content

Don't rule out mineral make-up, you can build it up to give great coverage and it's definitely not cloggy. My skin is a million times better since I switched. I like both Lily Lolo (www.lilylolo.co.uk) and Everyday Minerals (www.everydayminerals.com).

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

It's not independent but I used to work for Virgin Vie and one of my customers with rosacea used Brightening Boost (not sure they still do this product although there will be an equivalent) as a base and then One Step Face Base (powder foundation but good coverage) over the top, and this toned down redness.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Although not independent the staff in MAC are really well trained and will give you proper advice, not just flog you what they want to.

I also really like Space NK for make up- they stock some really good brands, give excellent advice and can also advise on skincare as well (and how make up and skincare can work together).

• Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB)
    Aimee Hicks (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

What about trying a independent makeup artist. You would have to pay for a makeup lesson but they would be able to give you ways of helping you get flawless skin. They will also be able to recommend different brands of makeup which is best for you personnally as they don't work for one particular company and will have tried a wide variety of makeup.

Aimee x

• C
    Beginner May 2003
    Cazzyg ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Space NK as they have a number of different brands and some really lovely skincare ranges.

• vicbic
    Beginner September 2003
    vicbic ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all the recommendation.

A trip to the Traff is in order.

?

• M
    Mexicana ·
    • Hide content

I know the feeling about having unpredictable skin - mine is currently going through a second teenage period I think - very annoying.

I've always been a big Clinique make-up fan and find their airbrush concealer and pressed bronzing powder is a great base when I have a bit of colour. However, when I don't have any colour, I use a mineral make-up by Avon and have found this better than any of the more expensive brands I have tried. I would steer away from foundations as much as you can, particularly in milder weather as they do clog your pores and can make problem skin worse (and No, I'm not in the beauty industry, I just read a lot and wear make-up every day!!). If you feel you can't manage without that coverage, I'd try adding a touch of your foundation to your usual daytime moisturiser and using that as your base.

Hope this helps and good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics