Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

goldpants
Beginner May 2014

Indulgent wedding dress ideas!!! *flashes*

goldpants, 11 of October of 2012 at 14:13 Posted on Planning 0 47

So I've been engaged since February this year and not getting married until May 2014 but have been looking at dresses online for months. In my head I think I know the styles that will flatter, and have been looking at dresses I think will suit my body shape. As a background I am 5"5 apple shaped size 12 with 34E boobs. So basically I want something that is fitted at the waist then comes out, so that I can gorge on all the lovely catering and not worry about looking bloated. I also have to have the cleavage tucked away to look classy. So basically here are the styles I like, some are totally out of the £1000 budget (well, closer to £1k than £1500!)and some arent available in the uk but if anyone knows an idea of prices of these dresses or knows of a similiar style dress I haven't found please let me know!! I know I'll probably try dresses on and love something completely different, but thi is homework i dont mind doing!!!! All help much appreciated.... Get ready to see some beautiful dresses!!!So cmon ladies put me out of my misery and tell m I can't afford any of them! Thank god there is no Rosa Clara stockists in the uk, Id put the whole wedding budget willingly on one of those dresses!!!!!

pronovias diosa

pronovias ulma

pronovias uribe

pronovias dinar

pronovias ducado

pronovias uldar

pronovias emporium

pronovias style unknown

pronovias dacio

jenny packham freesia

justin alexander 8664

justin alexander 8557

maggie sottero asha

maggie sottero mona

modern trousseau style unknown

benjamin roberts 2308

rosa clara 106 baeza

rosa clara jimena

rosa clara jordania

rosa clara dedalo

rosa clara denia

rosa clara hanau

rosa clara hegoa

aire barcelona remir

aire barcelona remo

aire barcelona ren

aire barcelona rene

mark lesley 2172

mark lesley 5054

mark lesley 5053

mark lesley 5063

loulou bridal lb19

loulou bridal lb20

pronovias durban

ellis bridals thea

ellis bridals 11187

ellis bridals 11228

mori lee 2415

mori lee 2517

mori lee 6735

essence of australia d1244

ella bridal 5505

allure bridal 8953

allure bridal 8972

allure bridal 2558

ronald joyce patience

benjamin roberts 2302

naomi neoh marianne

47 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 20 of March of 2022 at 12:29
  • MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Whoa that's a lot of dresses.

stop looking and go try some on! You have no idea otherwise of the difference between a dress on a model vs real life. A good shop will help you work out what suits you as opposed to going for hard sell. You may also find you end up getting the opposite of what you thought you wanted!

where do you live?

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

Love all these dresses. Although as another size 10/12 with big boobies and a tummy that tends to go out I avoided some of your earlier styles after trying some on (even though they are my fave to look at in pics) and went for more structured corsets to flatten the tummy. I think what I'm trying to say is try some on and be open minded (which it seems you are from the number of dresses) til you see some! But dont rule out more fitted across the tummy as corsets work wonders!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Yes apologies have just looked back and realised how carried away i got!! My plan was to start dress shopping may next year, one year before the wedding as I see so many people talking about dress wobbles and if I went now I'd hate to change my mind... 18months is a long time!!! plus i'm hoping to tone up and lose a bit around the middle so May gives me time to sort myself out (after xmas haha!) having a wedding so far away means i am constantly looking at things just not taking the plunge... so annoying!!! I live in colchester essex and i think my first stop wil be 'the wedding shop' as it stocks a few of these dresses in my wishlist. thenif i end up hating them on me I can start all over again!!! oh well, never a chore Smiley smile x

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Oooh never thought about a corset... can i still eat lots!? if our biggest expense is the catering i want to bloody dig in myself hahahaha!!!

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I hope you can still eat lots! I think ppl get them loosened during/after meal. Honestly try a corset dress when you try dresses on next year as they are great if you are a bit self conscious about the tummy - like a 3 month diet in a dress lol! x

• JenniferRFC
    Beginner August 2013
    JenniferRFC ·
    • Hide content

Flashtastic!!

I've ordered one of those dresses, Patience by Ronald Joyce and I love it. I have paid £1175 if that helps at all (I am on the Isle of Man though and there is usually a mark-up just for being here so you could probably get it for under £1000 on the mainland)

There are so many others on this thread that are amazing though, it's so hard to pick until you actually try them on.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEA2012 ·
    • Hide content

I tried on Maggie Sottero Mona and it was gorgeous, gave me such a nice shape, I am more pear shaped than apple though, think it was either 990 or 1100 in price, cant remember..? It just felt a little bit too plain for me, I wanted more sparkle!

I would definitely suggest trying on, you dont have to buy, you could try every single one of the above on if you had the time!! x

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

Hi! Justin Alexander 8557 is my dress and is gorgeous (I am biased though).

I am 5'8, have 38FF boobs and having my little girl has left me with a mum tum, so I am a bit thicker round the middle than I used to be. The positioning of the sash is really flattering. It created a lovely hour glass shape and thats in a dress that didn't fit me so I am excited to get my dress in January!

Go and try some on, my dress is pretty much the total opposite to what I thought I wanted. x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I've tried Durban, and it was really heavy!

Patience is lovely although was a bit too sparkly for my liking.

Marianne was also gorgeous but is somewhat over £1000 (annoyingly)

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

The lou Lou ones are way under £1000. Milly was around £600 in the shop I went to.

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know the prices of some of these dresses. As a guide, Jenny Packham usually starts off at around £2,500, Pronovias start from £1000, Justin Alexanda as I recall start at around £1800 mark (Jen P - is that correct??).

Mark Lesley Gowns range from between £600 to £1400. I have fallen in love with a particular Mark lesley Gown - MLB-2160 and I was really surprised when the bridal shop told me it was only £799! It pulls in my figure and the tulle skirt is gorgeous (and I ecoe the others when I say it was completely the opposite to what I thought I would like!) Here's a flash of it:

I wasn't sure of which style I liked when I had my first appointment, so the ladies in the shop suggested I pisck out three dresses in completely different styles and then we would take it from there - it was a really good way of narrowing the dresses down for me. Perhaps you could try this?

Good luck!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Don't get too fixated on styles before you go dress shopping. What suits you is generally different from what you thought might. Dresses look very different on and in real life.

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

My JA 8557 cost me £1200 x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have to say this is excellent advice

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually paid a bit more for this ☹️

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Thank everyone for the advice! Completely agree it's best to try lots of different dresses on.... just wanted something to keep me occupied until i can start my actual dress shopping!! But even if it was all for nothing it was a lovely afternoon spent flashing the pics and drooling at dresses, my two 11 week old kittens were fast asleep on my legs for the good part of two hours so a perfect excuse to stay on the sofa and "revise" hehe! I'm also pleased to hear some of these dresses are quite reasonably priced too! Hope you b2bs enjoyed my flashfest, I'm always on the ipad and unable to flash so got it out of my system now for a while!!!! Smiley smile

• Jen_P
    Dedicated August 2013
    Jen_P ·
    • Hide content

I got 10% discount for buying on my first visit to the shop. Where abouts are you cakeycase? Does the price differ depending where you are from? Mine is from a shop in Sheffield x

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I live in extortionately priced Surrey! I did budget £1000 for my dress, but most I tried on were over this to be fair.

I still ❤️ it though!

• A
    Beginner July 2013
    angeljenn149 ·
    • Hide content

I am very similar in height, shape and size to you, and I recently bought the Allure 8953 dress... it is absolutely gorgeous, and soooo flattering on! I paid about $1200 CDN for mine and will end up paying under $1500 after taxes and alterations, so that should definitely be under 1000 pounds! The Allure dresses in general are very reasonably priced and fit really well. You should definitely try it on if you get the chance! Smiley smile I got mine in ivory.... very soft, but white is just NOT flattering if you're pasty white like me! Smiley smile

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

I would go and try some on and see which shapes suit.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm the same body shape and size as you and set my heart on the majority of Pronovias dresses that you have posted but they swamped me completely. Try some on and the cliche is true, what you imagine you'll look amazing in is sometimes not the best option. Good luck finding 'the one'.

• Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I agree with what others have said......you just don't know what will suit until you start trying them on. My sister is very big busted and we have had a job finding bridesmaid dresses to fit her boobs ?

One shoulder (goddess style) chiffon dresses looked terrible, sweet heart neckline was also a no no for her as she was all boobs and nothing else!!! We got there in the end but I guess I am saying be open minded....try on the biggest dress in the shop, try on the most fitted fishtail and try the lovely lovely A line (biased my dress is A line) get a feel for what looks right and feels right. You may just surprise yourself.....most of all enjoy ther experience......kind of envious that my dress in chosen, I loved the trying on bit!!!!

x

• T
    Beginner December 2013
    tams82 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

When i started looking i thought i wanted something completely different to what i ended up with! The best thing i did was i went to Bellissima in South Woodham Ferrers which has absolutely loads and loads of dresses and i basically tried on like 12 dresses in an hour. Gave me a more realistic view of what i actually wanted. They were also really nice! Until you try a dress on you can't tell if it will suit you or not! None of my friends ended up with dresses that they thought they would!

Good luck!

• ShootingStar2012
    Beginner March 2015
    ShootingStar2012 ·
    • Hide content

Jannyb27, flashes of any dress on a real person is always very welcome, let's see!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I have just seen my flashfest has been bumped Smiley smile

Thanks everyone for the invaluable advice, especially you Lanny B!! Will definitely visit these places!! And Jojo I will most certainly try the try each style approach.

The original post alone really was worthwhile though, since reading all your posts I have overcome my 'google wedding dress' obsession' phew, h2b didn't think I'd ever be the same again Smiley winking

I'm away for most of january and february with work and when I get home in March I have 14 months to go so will make my first appointment then.... I plan to take me time and try on every dress in the workd hahaha!!

We'll see how that goes!

Thanks again, I promise to keep you posted and would love to see you real life pic lanny b! xxxxxxxx

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Because I don't want the puppies or any cleavage on show, i think strapless and v neck (dont know the proper words haha!) are going to be be worst.... hence the one shoulder ideas..

but who knows!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Ahh Lanny your dress is beautiful and looks fab on you! And wow the train is huge you cant see that on the model pic! So nice to know there are dresses this pretty in budget Smiley smile

Will bump this post again early next year after my first appointment... eek!

Also I was adamant not to have a veil as not church wedding and wanted more hippy, bohemian almost beach wedding look. But now i have seen yours i quite like the idea of something covering my arms... it will stop my big arms being the main focus in pictures hmmmmmmmm... one to think sbout! Think I will try one on! xxxxxxx

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I cant wait until i know what all these terms mean!! but i see the pic it looks lovely Smiley smile xxxxxx

• F
    fatihgg ·
    • Hide content

OMG! These are just AMAZING! I think I've just got infected by your fever... I wish I had like a million quids for my wedding.

• B
    Beginner January 2011
    ballu ·
    • Hide content

Luxury Wedding is a long event which demands something simple and comfortable wearing.

Wedding Dress should be simple, elegant and floaty with pleasant colors which could be attaractive and make people appreciate.

Wedding Dress could also match with Wedding Flowers on the background.

Thanks

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

So just to keep you updated... I finally have my first dress shopping outing planned!! I'm going wih my maid of honour on Saturday 16th march and again the week after.

Eeek excited to finally try things on- it seems weird that only a short few months later i seem to have fallen less in love with one shoulder and more in love with capped sleeves and lace.... it's definitely time to start trying on to get some realistic views on the dress.

So when I have my first appointment I will request dresses that,are very different to each other in styles and see what i like more as a starter... i do love having the time to really milk this though - i hate shopping under time pressure!

On a really positive note I wasn't sure how interested my mum was with the whole first child getting married business recently as whenever i have mentioned the wedding she just nods and barely listens... however i plucked up the courage to ask if she'd like to come with me to look at dresses and suddenly she got all excited and said she would love to and spent the afternoon talking dresses so i have booked a second appointment.... maybe she has seemed off because i have already planned so much with little of her input and was actually feeling left out. It's a good sign and fingers crossed our outing goes well and it doesn't end in tears/ arguements.......i'd love the wedding to bring us closer together.

any more dress shopping tips always appreciated, i live in colchester essex and am going to the wedding shop and abigails collection first up.

xxxxx

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

HI we're getting married about the same time! I've just had my first shopping trip. All I will say is don't analyse dresses too much online - get in the shop, try on all the styles as you maybe surprised! Don't be too regimented on what you do want and don't.

i didn't want a veil either but having tried a full length one on and I'm sure I do now! Enjoy it as its so much fun!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics