Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Informal invitation wording. Ideas please!

LeicesterBride, 22 November, 2011 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 3

We're still deciding quite how our day will pan out (date tbc!) but we're thinking of the following:

immediate family to reg office

meal with imediate family at the local pub (maybe. Or might just offer pizza at home!)

meet wedding guests there for a cheeky drink (if they want to, ahead of the reception),

walk to village hall (5-10 mins stroll) for the reception

Thinking reception will start at 3ish with fizz and canapes, followed food at 5 or 6 (although not formal 3 courses), and live music starting about 7.30.

All invitees (with the exception of immediate family)will be invited ot the party/reception and not the reg office.

So, how do we word the invitations in a non-stuffy way! We're planning on using our first names only, no surnames.

"X and X invite you to drink, dance and be merry to celebrate their marriage! 3pm Village Hall, or 2pm in the 'Crossed Keys'"

"X and X are getting married! Join the Party at 3pm at the Village Hall, or 2pm in the Crossed Keys"

"It's time to drink champagne and dance on tables! X and X are getting married! 3pm Village Hall, or from 2pm in the Crossed Keys"

Do any of these work? We're not trying to be down with the kids, the day will be elegant/stylish but fun. Lots of children invited (so not sure how many will actually bother with the pub - that's ok, it's optional, we just though it might be a nice relaxed thing to do, then walk through the park to the reception venue together.

All ideas welcome ? Thank you

3 replies

Latest activity by Blonde Viki, 22 November, 2011 at 17:39
  • D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I like the second one. We're doing similar and having RO, then photos and nibbles at ours before going to local hall for buffet reception and open mic. It's in reasonable walking distance (through a housing estate and across the main through road) but our well-to-do fuddy duddy rellies will probably choose to drive! I'm still considering hiring a bus of some sort to move everyone between venues so they have the option of drinking and don't have to fetch cars in the morning. If there is only a pedestrianised park in between, that's even better- no reason not to walk.

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    LeicesterBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I like the second one best, too. I thought I was after something clever/impressive...but now I see them written down I like simple!

The pub meal/pizza at ours will be for immediate family only - those who came to the RO. And our walk is lovely, actually - provided it doesn't rain (and if it does, we'l be hitching liftes with friends!). If your walk includes crossings then I wouldn't bother with transport. Plus, when I've been to weddings in the past it's always been up to me to get from wedding to reception and you're not asking too much of people....hmmm, except will they have had alcohol by the time you have to go to your local hall? If so, it may be courteous to arrange a minibus, even if oyu only book something with enough seats to take old and pissed, not everyone...Just a though!

Thank you for you response, anyway ?

• C
    Beginner April 2012
    clarabella1972 ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm doing something similar, except that we are having a ceremony in the reception venue, with others arriving later. I'm also looking for some similar wording that embodies the fact that the celebration/party is meaningful in itself and those not invited to the ceremony aren't just sloppy seconds IYKWIM.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I'm not much help because I like all three of your suggestions, if pushed I'd pick the third one, but only because I think it indicates the spirit of happiness and celebration that I feel a wedding should evoke (nothing to do with the fact that most parties I go to do end up with us dancing on tables!!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics