Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner

Informal reception - timings?

fluffyhen, 20 of August of 2014 at 11:01 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi all,

I am getting married in 2016 and am planning a very informal wedding and reception. We're thinking of going to a pub after the ceremony, preferably somewhere with a private room, for something to eat, drinks and hopefully our own music. We don't want speeches or a first dance and are only having around 20 guests (close family). For something like this I can't imagine people staying until the 'normal' end time for a wedding ie around 11pm- it just seems too long. Would you say that's a fair assumption? How do I go about setting an 'end' time? Or do I just mention to people when I see them that it will be food at around 4pm, drinks, and then drift off whenever people get fed up?

Has anybody been to an informal wedding like this before?

Any advice/thoughts would be great!

6 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 25 of August of 2014 at 20:41
  • k.j.w
    Beginner June 2017
    k.j.w ·
    • Hide content

I think if its a small informal wedding people may not stay as long as formal weddings (when theres things like speeches/first dance) that they dont want to miss.

I dont think you need to put an 'end' time on it, just put the key times, ceremony at.., food from 4pm.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

I agree with k.j.w.

We're having a very informal reception, much like yourself, and won't be setting an end time. We'll just stay in the bar and go with the flow of the evening. If we get too tired and want to go to bed though (nudge wink) we'll just say our own goodnights when the time comes and head off. It's likely that the group would head off themselves at that point too I'd imagine as they've probably just not wanted to be rude by leaving earlier!

• F
    Beginner
    fluffyhen ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. It sounded so obvious when I read your responses but I think I was carried away with stressing about what is 'normal' for a wedding ? Thanks again

• ToBeMrsHouse
    Beginner August 2014
    ToBeMrsHouse ·
    • Hide content

Yep, agree. I had informal drinks in a pub garden after our wedding breakfast. We left when we wanted - some of our guests had left before, most left with or after us. No end time needed. Have fun! Smiley smile

Mrs House

• jayannfernandez
    jayannfernandez ·
    • Hide content

Usually, well in my experience, weddings last for about 3-4 hours only and it's for me better to set a time when it ends so your guests can anticipate and if they do have plans right after or early next day, they can schedule appropriately. Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

Hi we are getting married in may 2015. Ceremony at 3pm followed by drinks & canapes. Its a small wedding only about 50 of us. We are having a sit down meal but there will be no separate evening do. I don't think you need to put an exact end time. We are expecting our day to finish slightly earlier than other weddings with an evening do but think it will be OK.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Ours was an informal reception and we had no entertainment so I had worries that it would all fall a bit flat but it couldn't have been further from the truth. We ate at 1800hrs and guests drifted off as they wanted but the laughter and chatting was still going on after I went to bed in the early hours. There is no need to worry, the right mix of friends and family will always guarantee a good ambiance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics