Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner

Informal/barn type venues in West Yorkshire

candystripednic, 27 May, 2012 at 22:41 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all

My partner and I are looking to get married next spring (ish!) but are having real trouble finding a venue we like... the problem is that we don't want a very traditional wedding, and we don't want a hotel wedding (or one that really follows traditional wedding-y rules), so it's proving very tricky! I have seen Cruck Barn in Appletreewick, but not sure if it would be too far for us (we live in Leeds, as do most of our guests), so looking for somewhere similar if possible. I should also add that we are on quite a tight budget, which again rules out some places.

At least half the crucial people involved in the wedding (partner, bridesmaids, couple of others) are vegan/vegetarian too, so catering adds another spanner to the works.

If anyone can shed any light on potential venues I'd be ever-grateful!

8 replies

Latest activity by greenbean, 28 May, 2012 at 14:46
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched and to a fellow Yorkshire girl! Our daughter got married at The Huntsman in Holmfirth which is a little bit barn looking. I've attached a few piccies of outside and in for you. It wasn't mega expensive and the food is out of this world. They will cater for your wishes too. Most of the guests came from Leeds so it's very easy to find.

As you can see, the views are amazing on a fine day which we were lucky enough to have in the middle of March last year which was one of the hottest days of the year. Beware of the winter time though as they do get snowed in on odd occasions.

• C
    Beginner
    candystripednic ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow, that looks lovely! Thank you! ?

• V
    Beginner June 2012
    Vicloveschocolate ·
    • Hide content

We look at The Barn in Esholt. We thought it was a good venue and a relatively cheap option. We didn't go for it as most of our guests are travelling and they don't have accommodation on site.

A friend went to a wedding there and said it was amazing though.

• S
    Beginner July 2012
    samkallis64 ·
    • Hide content

. Paradise is really not just a dream, and you can enjoy a piece of it-and more, if you want to have a Phuket wedding like no other. Be it a Christian, Catholic, Secular, traditional Thai Buddhist ceremony, or something that you have created with your own imagination-- your wedding in Phuket will be the most picture-perfect celebration of love you can ever have. Belle Baldoza works as a Business Correspondent for Siam Legal International, Thailand's largest legal service network with offices in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai and Samui. The firm has international locations in London and Los Angeles. Siam Legal is a full-service law firm and provides a wide range of legal and visa services

• C
    Beginner
    candystripednic ·
    • Hide content

Ahh that's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for - thank you so much!

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We get married there two weeks today - so far they have been amazing! Like you we didn't want a formal wedding - and no offense to anyone who has booked a hotel wedding but having worked in hotels for 15 years the last thing I wanted was a hotel wedding. We booked the barn because we go walking and camping around there. We have been able to do just what we want throughout the day - they have been really accommodating. We live in Halifax so I thought it might be too far away but almost every one of our 65 guests are camping or have booked a room.

I'll be able to report more in two weeks but don't dismiss it just because of the distance ?

• C
    Beginner
    candystripednic ·
    • Hide content

Exactly, I don't think there is anything wrong with a hotel wedding at all - if that's what you want then they can be really lovely. I just wouldn't be comfortable with it myself, and our budget is fairly tight so it rules a lot out anyway!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at York Maze?

http://www.yorkmaze.com/pages/weddings_and_private_hire.html

Looks amazing.

• greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

Https://www.kirklees.gov.uk/leisure/museums/oakwell/weddings.shtml

We checked out this place. It looks lovely. VERY reasonable as it is owned by Kirklees council. MY geography is terrible but i think it's near Batley x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics