Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arpee
Beginner August 2016

Insurance for a wedding without a legal ceremony

Arpee, 11 of August of 2015 at 12:24 Posted on Planning 0 4

Just about to insure the wedding, saw something on a website about insurance not necessarily being valid for weddings over multiple days. Our venue isn't licensed, so we are planning to have a registry office wedding the week before, then a humanist (non-legal) ceremony and reception at the venue.

I rang John Lewis insurance, they can't insure the humanist ceremony, only the legal ceremony and the reception. So if the celebrant doesn't turn up, I'm not insured for that. Also, some stuff (like my dress) is insured until the moment I say "I do" in the legal ceremony - so if we are legally married before the humanist ceremony and reception, and something happens to my dress in between time, it is not insured!

What have other people done to insure humanist ceremony weddings? I know in Scotland they are legal, so I'm looking for people who got married in England and Wales.

4 replies

Latest activity by Jade8, 11 of August of 2015 at 13:06
  • jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

I've just done a quick google, I'm not sure if this would be any good. I know it is a wedding, but as the legal part will have been carried out previously, would something like this be suitable?

http://www.party-insurance.co.uk/

http://www.events-insurance.co.uk/pages/celebration-party-insurance/

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

I work in insurance and I have just emailed the guys that we use for Weddings to see if they can help/have any ideas. I will let you know what I find out!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

My guess would be that someone does it. A huge party, bar mitzvah or some other event would be the same as your big day and indian weddings etc are over a number of days.

Maybe check with a few others or look at insurance that doesn't specifically say it's for weddings.

maybe you would need two events. The wedding day and the 'event' day. That would then cover your dress maybe on both days.

Worth a try.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Sorry. Went to put the kettle on half way through typing and by then your other replies had come in. Lol.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

From experience I would be weary of having just an Event policy if you still require cover for things like your dress as a normal policy would probably not cover anything that is specifically wedding-y. Events Insurance (as linked above) are actually one of the 2 people that I have emailed - they do Wedding Insurance aswell as loads of other events!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics