Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2010

Insurance for pre-existing conditions

Tinysarah, 6 of February of 2012 at 17:16 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi guys

I'm getting married on 1st December 2012 and am trying to arrange wedding insurance.

Not a major problem, but my mum has skin cancer and so far John Lewis, Debenhams and Direct line have all said no to providing cover.

Does anyone have any other ideas? You would think that because I'm bring upfront and telling them they would be ok, but no-just get "no we won't cover", even though it's not terminal.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

7 replies

Latest activity by Saph, 3 of March of 2015 at 18:19
  • tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

What exactly do you want cover for??

• T
    Beginner January 2010
    Tinysarah ·
    • Hide content

If anything goes wrong with the venue etc or if the wedding reds to cancelled due to illness etc.. I thought it was a good idea to have it as there is no way in hell we can afford to pay out for everything twice.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Well, try another company, do NOT disclose the condition. Just be aware that if anything has to be postponed or cancelled due to your Mum's ill health, you won't be covered. I presume since it's non-terminal that won't be a problem.

People deal with insurance stuff like this all the time. I climb mountains. BIG mountains. But I don't tell the life insurance people. If I were to die climbing, then I know I wouldn't be covered. If I died in a car crash here (far more likely) then I would. I'm happy with that balance of risk.

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

I did mean specifically in relation to your mums health.

Policies will only cover cancellation or curtailment for things out of your control, such as vendor going into liquidations or something happening to the bride and groom. The generally do not extend to illness or relatives whether they had a pre-medical condition or not.

Assume if you mum was to become ill, would you postpone the wedding? If so I do not beleive you could get cover for this

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

Just checked ecclesiastical who I am covered with and they have said this

What if we have to cancel, cust short or re-arrange our wedding due to illness?

The policy covers any member of the wedding party who falls ill and this means that you have to cancel, cut short, or re-arrange the wedding.

If they fall ill because of a pre-existing medical condition that you or they know about when you take out your Wedding Insurance, you will not be covered. Please see the 'What is not covered' section of the policy document for further detail.

Therefore I would assume if your mum got ill for something other than her existing condition you would be covered just NOT that condition.

Be careful about not disclosing things though, as they can void you policy ab-initio for non-disclosure and that would mean you would not be covered for anything - even if it was not in relation to the medical condition. As an example, if you mum had an accident and was in a coma so you cancelled your wedding. Then the insurance company found out you had not told them about her condition, they have the write to cancel the policy from inception as you are in breach of the policy conditions - so not cover I am afriad!

• T
    Beginner January 2010
    Tinysarah ·
    • Hide content

Tonileehall- I know what you mean by being careful about not disclosing, it is like all other insurances, if you don't tell and in he small chance that something does go wrong and hey find, you'll be in trouble as they'll refuse to pay. My OHs dad has worked in insurance for years and says this is me of the top,reasons some insurers refuse to pay out.

Will try some other companies, but have just seen John Lewis event insurance (not the wedding insurance) which will cover weddings and will cover if you have pre-existing conditions so will give them a try.

Also, if mum was to go downhill We would re-arrange, maybe even bring the ceremon forward,we're getting married in a registry office so hopefully it wouldn't be too difficult as we're giviing notice on Friday.

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

I work in insurance too so didnt want you to not be covered.

I googled 'wedding insurance for pre-existing conditions' and found insure for travel, which is underwritten by Great Lakes (which I have delat with before)

They do a specific wedding insurance, which has specific exclusions, rather than excluding all pre-existing conditions

What you are not covered for:
    1. the bride or civil partner, or groom or civil partner, or anyone
    else upon whom the Wedding is dependent:
    a) acting against medical advice
    b) awaiting results of tests or medical investigations
    c) being on a hospital waiting list for treatment
    d) having received a terminal prognosis
    e) anxiety, stress or depression (unless admitted as an inpatient
    at a recognised hospital)

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    Saph ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

This is really helpful, thank you. I've just requested to hear back from Insure for You. Do you (or anyone else!) know of any other insurance companies that insure pre-existing medical heart conditions if we had to cancel/postpone our wedding due to a member of the wedding party (my father with a history of heart problems/attacks) being ill? We would want insurance to specifically cover this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Saph

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics